Dealing With Negativity Towards Your Hair In The Workplace

Southernbella.

Sorry you're dealing with that, OP. I know it's hard to think about these things in the moment, but I find that the best way to deal with stupid comments is to give them right back. For example:

Person A: Wow...what happened to your hair?
You: Nothing. What happened to your face? You look older today.

Person B: When are you going to get your hair done?
You: I'm not sure. When are you going to lose some weight?

Person C: I like your hair better when it's straight.
You: Thank you. I've actually never seen your hair because you always have that raggedy wig on.

It sounds petty, but sometimes the that's the only thing these people understand. They don't know how much little comments can sting until they're on the receiving end of them. Plus, that puts you back in control of the situation, and them on the defensive. You leave them wondering what the hell just happened. :lol:

Amerie2304

That's horrible! Some people never learn to keep their negative thoughts/attitudes to themselves.

It's funny, I wear my hair in all types of funky styles to work (corporate america) and the only negative comments I've gotten were from older black women in the south. The "you really wear your hair like that to work" comments. I wanted to be like, you really continue to wear that busted weave to work - but you know, I was being polite. Something that some people can't understand.

Exactly! I have numerous comebacks I could have said about her hair (trust!), but she is an older black woman so I guess out of respect I chose to just ignore it and not go there with her. But that one time pass has expired.

I completely understand what you mean. My co-workers are so obsessed about what I do with my hair. I really don't understand why, because I don't give one rass about what they do with their hair. They dye it, cut it, perm it etc. and I have nothing to say. I grow my perm out and everyone's up in arms :perplexed
Exactly! Like the barely speaking english porter, I'm not sure why he thinks I care what he thinks about my hair or what he thinks looks best on me. I wish they wouldn't pay that much attention to me (cuz I certainly don't pay attention to them), it's actually starting to feel slightly creepy.

Like I said initially, I know their opinions doesn't matter but my natural hair isn't something I was completely in love with like others here. It's been a bit of an adjustment process for me and of course stuff like this makes it harder but I still don't have any regrets.

Amerie2304

Sorry you're dealing with that, OP. I know it's hard to think about these things in the moment, but I find that the best way to deal with stupid comments is to give them right back. For example:

Person A: Wow...what happened to your hair?
You: Nothing. What happened to your face? You look older today.

Person B: When are you going to get your hair done?
You: I'm not sure. When are you going to lose some weight?

Person C: I like your hair better when it's straight.
You: Thank you. I've actually never seen your hair because you always have that raggedy wig on.

It sounds petty, but sometimes the that's the only thing these people understand. They don't know how much little comments can sting until they're on the receiving end of them. Plus, that puts you back in control of the situation, and them on the defensive. You leave them wondering what the hell just happened. :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:@ this whole post!! Thank you for the suggestions - I will certainly try them! You're right, they're prob going about their merry day and here I am with my feelings hurt. So thank you again!

ms.blue

My protective style of choice is lace wigs but about three weeks ago, I decided to wear my natural hair in bantu knot and twist outs to work. I received compliments about my hair from my white co-workers but the black ones were like eh. My co-worker who I share an office was like "when are you going to perm(relax) it?" I told him never lol. My family and friends were like indifferent since they seen my natural hair before (I did get "you look better w/ straight hair")

There is an Italian woman at my job that has kinky hair which she bkts. I think a small percentage of italians have moors (black europeans) lineage.

Last edited: