Relaxing over Relaxed hair?!?!

Whimsy

ok. A coworker of mine with 4b (i'm guessing) hair at her shoulders relaxes her hair bone straight every 8 weeks religiously. She told me that she does it herself, AND she relaxes the entire strand each time from root to end. WTF?! How is she not bald? Does anyone else do this?:perplexed

candy1214

I used to do this and my mother still does.

surprisingly, her hair is thick, shiney and beautiful. it's about shoulder length.

when i did it, my hair was over-processed and thin, but it grew for the most part and i certainly wasnt bald. i guess my mother's hair is more resistant and thicker than mine b/c i sure didnt look good at all.

ShiShiPooPoo

I used to do this but my hair was super short and I would get it cut every month or so so I was always cutting the damage off.

glamazon386

Technically she's doing a corrective. But it's only a matter of time before her hair starts breaking off. I had a hairdresser who did that to everybody's hair the first time they came to her for a relaxer. Needless to say my hair started snapping all over the place as soon as it went past the 6 week mark. I had to stop relaxing for a while because my hair was so stressed. :( That's what lead me to start stretching relaxers before I had even found this board.

teenie

Me and my mom did this for years and I maintained at least arm pit length healthy looking hair, I didnt know any better at the time.

blackhair

teenie said:
Me and my mom did this for years and I maintained at least arm pit length healthy looking hair, I didnt know any better at the time.

Yepe - I did this for years, i my hair was still holding tight in thickness and lenght. Now that i am trying the healthy route, I havn't seen major improvement. I really don't get it......

Whimsy

Wow. This is so surprising to me. I guess it's just true, different strokes for different folks. I'm glad yall aren't bald!

♦K.O♦

I used to do this (my mom relaxed my hair), and stopped doing it in about 2003/2004. I wasnt bald, but should have been. My hair was dyed/bleached and everything. lol Unless I cut it, my hair was always past shoulder length and still "sorta" full. But breakage was crazy. I would get to APL and break.