decrease detangling time, Fine hair, High density

Sheabutterboy

Does anyone have any idea, any tips on how to decrease the detangling time for fine hair high density?

I detangle in 21-24 sections, once a month, finger detangles first then go in with a wide-tooth comb from ends first. Comb with African pide pre-poo detangler. This can take anywhere from 10 hrs to 13hrs.

Any bigger sections lead to a more difficult detangling session, combing every two weeks takes too long...8hrs, I couldn't possibly detangle every week for 4-5hrs and then take out 2hrs to restyle too much manipulation and time.

My hair is in twists all the time low manipulation easy life, but detangling just takes too long and I am guessing it's only going to take longer as it gets longer?

I have tried a steamer, googled high and low to no avail.

I am thinking of trying weekly oil rinse/oil wash? Has anybody... ANYONE! ever gotten past this? is there a trick I am missing? I am thinking of getting micro locks. :cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Maybe you should move to braids instead of twists.

Twists long term for me equal more detangling because the strands are merried together and prefer to do so. The long i wear them , the harder it is to detangle because they prefer to be wrapped around each other. Box braids/medium braids dont have that problem because the hair is stretched.

When I come out of a style, I DO NOT WET my hair before I detangle. I dry detangle first and then put those sections in a ponytail. 4 at most;. Then wet detangle with whatever Im going to use. If I wet detangle first, the shed hair is the worst to get out.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Do you use tools to detangle?
a game changer for me was the MHM. I almost exclusively finger detangle (only using tools for a blowout/flatiron). My hair is clumped in curls about 80% of the time. Whenever I cleanse or condition, finger detangling has kept the bulk of my hair in mostly organized coils. I rake and smooth to detangle 1-2 x/ week and it only takes me at most 20 minutes to detangle my whole head now. This is improved from it taking me 3+ hours in my more challenging stages (with similar length and density as now).

The key for me in detangling my hair is to not let it get very tangled in the first place. I used to only thoroughly detangle 1-4 times a month. Now detangling is part of EVERY step of my hair care. I also never let my hair dry out or neglect it for long stretches of time anymore.
It feels like a big time investment to get your hair clumping, to train your curls. But once you do, my experience is that tangles are never really a thing for you anymore.
You might have to detangle more frequently for a reduction in your total time investment (like 30 minutes-1 hour 2 or 3 times a week instead of 4-5 hours once a week). You might also want to reevaluate your go-to styling habits.
I used to keep styles in FOREVER, which led to much longer detangling sessions from all the dryness, tangling, shedding, lint etc. Now, I generally keep my hair in simple, easy styles that I can reinstall more frequently and still maintain relatively low manipulation.

HTH!

Lissa0821

What seems to help me is twist the hair without borrowing hair all the way to the ends. I do not twirls the ends for the curl. When I untwist the twist. I finger detangle each piece of hair from root to ends, several times to encourage the shred hair to loose. Then I moisten a section of hair, combing from ends to root, first with a wide tooth comb followed by Felicia Leatherwood brush or Tangle Tweezer brush.

ThursdayGirl

Washing every 1-2.5 weeks reduced irritation/itching on my scalp. I clear sheds more frequently, which makes for shorter detangling times overall. Fewer sheds at a time reduced my detangling time. I was a once a month washer... now I am a 1 - 2.5 week washer. It helps.

I also switched to this brush. My hair does better with flexible tools: Detangling brush

VinDieselsWifey

Fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf is an excellent detangler. I also have used a mix of 50/50 ACV and water in spray bottle and that worked wonders. My texture was smooth and silky from that mixture. I bought a knock-off EZ Detangler brush from aliexpress and it works very well also.

awhyley

The Qredew melted through my tangles like butter

Now that I've looked this up and realize that there's a handheld steamer machine out there, I can't get this out of my mind.
Yall stay (re)activating my PJ side :headspin:

(P.S. For ladies with both, which do you prefer the Bestool or Leatherwood detangling brush?)

MilkChocolateOne

Now that I've looked this up and realize that there's a handheld steamer machine out there, I can't get this out of my mind.

(P.S. For ladies with both, which do you prefer the Bestool or Leatherwood detangling brush?)

Felicia Leatherwood

ThursdayGirl

I like the Bestool. The main difference between the two is that the Bestool is quite flexible. The arms that hold the teeth on the brush move quite a bit. My hair prefers the flexible. If you watch this video by LaToya Ebony, you can get an idea of what I mean. I think she is using the EZ detangler which is similar to the Bestool. .

Neomorph

The less time between my wash days the less time I spend detangling.

I second this! Now that I've been washing my hair twice a week, I've noticed much less issues with detangling.

Another thing that has helped me is waiting to detangle until after I let my conditioner (whether it's my leave in, rinse out or deep conditioner) penetrate my hair, instead of trying to comb through my hair as soon as I put the conditioner on.

Last edited:

snoop

How do you twist your hair? Overall I find that larger twists invite more meshing over time, but all in all -- whether I'm wearing large or mini twists -- twisting using the Senegalese method/rope twisting with a tighter tension along the length, doesn't allow for my hair to travel and mesh as much.

icsonia22

I blow dry my hair as the last step of each wash day every 4-6 weeks and then wear large plaits or rope twist with my own hair as a protective style. The shed hairs come out easily when im taking my hair down because the hair is stretched and has been sealed with whipped shea butter. I also prepoo with a combo of melted crisco, oil and aussie moist before detangling with the felicia leatherwood brush in 10 sections. My detangling time is down to a little over an hour now

Sheabutterboy

Hello guys thanks so much for your responses really appreciated, lots of tips to try.
Do you use tools to detangle?
a game changer for me was the MHM. I almost exclusively finger detangle (only using tools for a blowout/flatiron). My hair is clumped in curls about 80% of the time. Whenever I cleanse or condition, finger detangling has kept the bulk of my hair in mostly organized coils. I rake and smooth to detangle 1-2 x/ week and it only takes me at most 20 minutes to detangle my whole head now. This is improved from it taking me 3+ hours in my more challenging stages (with similar length and density as now).

The key for me in detangling my hair is to not let it get very tangled in the first place. I used to only thoroughly detangle 1-4 times a month. Now detangling is part of EVERY step of my hair care. I also never let my hair dry out or neglect it for long stretches of time anymore.
It feels like a big time investment to get your hair clumping, to train your curls. But once you do, my experience is that tangles are never really a thing for you anymore.
You might have to detangle more frequently for a reduction in your total time investment (like 30 minutes-1 hour 2 or 3 times a week instead of 4-5 hours once a week). You might also want to reevaluate your go-to styling habits.
I used to keep styles in FOREVER, which led to much longer detangling sessions from all the dryness, tangling, shedding, lint etc. Now, I generally keep my hair in simple, easy styles that I can reinstall more frequently and still maintain relatively low manipulation.

HTH!

Yes i use tools to detangle, i use the kazmaleje paddle comb then a wide tooth comb afterwards

Sheabutterboy

How do you twist your hair? Overall I find that larger twists invite more meshing over time, but all in all -- whether I'm wearing large or mini twists -- twisting using the Senegalese method/rope twisting with a tighter tension along the length, doesn't allow for my hair to travel and mesh as much.

I usually do loose twists i noticed my twists are hard to take out when twisted tightly they mesh way more, I tried rope twisting once, lots of people liked it but there was no volume and i was scared it would lock

Sheabutterboy

Thanks to everyone who responded, really appreciate it lots of tips to try. So I have developed a plan of action,
Switched from loose twists to loose braids- Since braids are meant to be sturdier,
Bought a water filter Plan on rinsing my hair 2-3 times weekly- I noticed that not rinsing or washing my hair before detangling makes for build-up causing a more difficult detangling session(i wash every two weeks). My only worry is will regular rinsing cause more tangling? making it hard to take out the braids.
Buying Aloe vera gel/ghee butter- Heard these are great detanglers

How i plan to detangle DAN DAN DAAAANN:drunk::drunk:
Rinse my hair with warm water, rinsing away excess shea butter/castor/glycerine- that's all I use- This should hopefully make a difference in taking down the loose braids
Finger detangle in big sections
Hop into the shower finger detangle under running water with lots of detanglers :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Then hop out of the shower, apply shea butter on the ends so they don't curl and do a final comb detangling.

I am aiming for an hr and a half.

I am banking on this regular rinsing thing if anyone has any experience do tell