Detangling long hair

bimbabe

Sometimes I feel that I rush through my detangling because I am inpatient or it really should not take long to detangle my hair. I try to "treat my hair like fine silk" but realistically I cannot spend an hour just trying to comb out knots.

How long does it take you to untangle your hair at its worst? What methods do you use to make the process easier? I have tried the sections thing but it only works so much I still lose too much hair.

Ladies almost brastrap and beyond is the long hair worth all the hassle when it comes to detangling?

rayne

Here's some thing that I do:

~Detanlge your hair BEFORE washing it.

~When shampooing, do not pile all of your hair on top of your head. Just massage the scalp and let the shampoo run down the ends of the hair (I just gently massage the ends)

~Rinse your hair in the shower by holding your head back

~Use a detangler. I use Just For Me (it's for kids)

~Comb your hair from the ends up

That's all I can think of right now.

lonei

My hair is beyond my bra strap and I had this problem for years, at times my hair would get matted together and I would lose clumps, but not anymore!!! I spray motions nourish leave in conditioner before i wash it and detangle it with a big tooth comb. The next thing I do is create 6 big, loose plaits with clips at the end (2 plaits at the front, and four at the back). I then go into the shower and run the water on top of my hair and then place motions lavish conditioning shampoo through the sections and massage it not manipulating the hair too much. I then rinse in the same fashion. For conditioning, I undo one plait at a time, saturate it with motions moisture plus conditioner and put on a plastic cap and go under the steamer. When I have finished that, I go back in the shower and wash the conditioner out of each section one at a time with cool water making sure not to mix the sections up too much. After that I again use lots of the the motions leave in conditioner and comb my hair out in those sections slowly and it is tangle free. I do suggest that your purchase these products as they have silk in it which leaves your hair tangle free if you adhere to this whole process. It does take a long time but it is very much worth it in the end, hope this has been of some help, let me know how you got on!!!

Allandra

I make sure my hair is detangled prior to shampoo time.
When I shampoo my hair, I make sure my hair stays straight down (don’t disturb my hair too much – but at the same time, get my hair nice and clean).
I use conditioners that offer my hair a good amount of slip.
After rinsing the conditioner out, I use Pantene Light Conditioner Spray Detangle.
I also comb my hair from the ends up when it’s wet.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
bimbabe said:
How long does it take you to untangle your hair at its worst? What methods do you use to make the process easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOBODY'S hair tangles worse than mine did when I used to wash it loose in the shower and try to comb it with the Jilbere shower comb under the water stream.
My stylist complained about my "tangled and matted" new growth during the last touchup, so here's my work-around. I do this every weekend or every other weekend if I'm trifling.

1. I wash my hair in 2 loose braids (looking like an American Indian) with elastics on the end to keep them from unraveling. I scrub the scalp with my fingers, but I don't undo the braids. I just squeeze shampoo into and out of them like in the Crown 'n Glory demo video. (I have a shower with a hose attachment and salon-style trigger to help me direct the water during rinses. It also increases my wimpy water pressure. showersystem.com sells them for $20.)

2. Right before leaving the shower, I load conditioner into my hair (slathering it onto the braids). Then I deep condition with a bonnet dryer for an hour. Deep conditioning is KEY.

4. (optional) Get back in the shower and rinse out the conditioner. Better to do the final rinse, else left over L'Anza strait line conditioner makes my hair sticky during combing.

5. When I finally undo the wet braids (in front of mirror, NOT in the shower), I spray on Pantene detangle light spray conditioner and comb the hair in 15 to 20 minutes.

The already relaxed hair couldn't tangle cuz it was braided the ENTIRE time, and the L'Anza strait line deep conditioner softens the new growth. I take my time combing ends -> new growth.

ADB

You can try getting one of those K cutter combs everyone is talking about. I think it was only like $2.00. I just ordered one. It should be here in 2 or 3 more days.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yes, I agree that long hair needs extra help for detangling. For me, the best weapon for detangling is a conditioner that gives superior, extraordinary slip. Elucence and Pantene would probably be my top 2 slippers. And even if you decide to use a conditioner one day that doesn't have oh so great slip, you can always follow it with a conditioner that does have slip or a conditioner made especially for detangling like ION Finishing Detangler or Biolage Detangling Solution. Those both work in a matter of seconds.

miss_brown

My saving grace has been sectioning my hair BEFORE washing and keeping it in 3 large braids for most of the entire shampoo process. I only take out each braid to shampoo (and I rebraid it immediately) and to condition (same thing). This has saved me a TON of hair.

Also, last nihgt, I tried the K Cutter everyone was raving about, and thing is a GODSEND for detangling my hair. If you can get your hands on one, you will not be disappointed.

bimbabe

Thanks guys
I am going to try and use some of these tips with my next wash today. I have to be more patient Megonw
said she takes 15-20 minutes and I try to do it in 5 even with 7 weeks of new growth :S

inthepink

I do something similar as Megonw. I call it the ponytail rinse b/c I only use conditioner but I can use shampoo also. So, I definitely recommend washing/conditioning/rinsing in sections. In fact, I think I need to do this more often to eliminate more tangles.

Allandra, how do you get your hair nice and clean without manipulating it too much? Do you massage it in or just let the pressure of the water and the water itself do the cleaning?

These are all very good tips b/c I suffer from frustration with detangling also.

BrEE

some good tips are to detangle before you wash, wash in sections( i do 4), let the water help you detangle and use banging slippers like elucence and pantene detangling spray.oh yeah dont forget the jilbere detangling comb or the k cutter comb.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Allandra, how do you get your hair nice and clean without manipulating it too much? Do you massage it in or just let the pressure of the water and the water itself do the cleaning?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a hand held shower head (like you do - yes?) which helps me a great deal. When I say I don't 'disturb' my hair much, I basically mean I don't pile it on top of my head. Yes, I do massage my scalp (while keeping my hair hanging straight down). So, my fingers and my hand held shower head are doing the cleaning (of course along with the shampoo). HTH.

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]
rayne said:
~When shampooing, do not pile all of your hair on top of your head. Just massage the scalp and let the shampoo run down the ends of the hair (I just gently massage the ends)

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this method, too.

Bimbabe, is your hair tangling while you are washing it because you are piling it on top of your head? The only time I can remember my hair tangling is when one particular hairdresser did that to my hair. Of course I never went to her for a second visit. When I wash my hair myself, as Rayne described, it doesn't get tangled at all.

Are you wearing it in some kind of style that causes it to get tangled? I think the best thing to do is avoid anything that will make your hair tangled in the first place.

When the hairdresser I mentioned started to comb through the tangles and knots she'd created, I'm certain that she put unnecessary stress on my hair. She would never have had to detangle it if she hadn't washed it the way she did.

inthepink

Thanks, Allandra. I've done that method a couple of times but only with conditioner. I'll have to try it with shampoo.

lonei

Bimbabe, it doesn't have to take 15 to 20 minutes, mine takes 5 minutes or less and this is coming from someone who previously had hair that matted together. The more plaits you use, e.g. 6 (loose plaits) as i descibed in my previous post, the more you are able to apply the conditioner throughout the entire hair thus causing there to be less tangles than if you just used 2 plaits. Makesure you use a leave in conditioner and comb it out in the mirror as opposed to in the shower. I used to dread washing my hair, but now i can use this method with up to 12 weeks of regrowth, trust me, it works.

jrw

At its worse, it can take me at least 15 minutes to detangle my hair. As everyone has said, detangle hair before you wash it. Otherwise, take small sections of hair and put leave-in conditioner in it and comb it starting at the bottom.

I have found that since I started doing hennalucent treatments, my hair does not tangle as much as it used to.

bimbabe

Thanks guys

renee_n_3000 : I don't pile my hair untop of my head I try to have it flowwing down, and I concentrate the shampoo on my scalp.

My hair is tangly when I don't comb 24/7 or if I airdry. I am trying not to manipulate too much or use heat so therin lies my problem.I am also close to touch up time.

I am definitely going to try the 6 plaits approach when washing my hair. Yesterday I did two but they unravelled.

What do you use to keep the braided hair from unravelling? ouchless elastics?

inthepink

I tried braiding my hair in 4 sections to wash and condition and it didn't work for me. I think that is because I am transitioning. My hair was super tangled right at the demarcation line. Could be that I manipulated my scalp too much.

bimbabe - I used ouchless elastics to keep the braids from coming down while I washed.

jainygirl

i completely agree with detangling before shampooing
I wash my hair in the sink so i lean forward and detangle leaning forward and while i still have my head upside down, i put my hair in a high ponytail on top of my head so that my hair stays detangled when i lean it over the sink to shampoo.