deep conditioning when you have braids

bettytoo

hi i've been natural for five years and my hairs only 9 inches long. i want long bra lenght hair .i just wont to know if any one who deep conditioners regular seen major improve in they hair grown.
i don't think its not that my hair doesn't grow .i think it just break of. a lot.i want to deep conditioner regularly but i want to know if its worth it. i where braids a lot.and only conditioner once every two months. when i take out my braids. I eat healthy too. so i don't think its my diet. i just think my hair dry.thanks love bettytoo

When I wear braids, I deep condition at least 1x week, sometimes two. I don't experience dryness or breakage issues when I take them down so yes I definitely think it's worth it if you want to hold on to your ends. I stick with less expensive dc's when in braids since I use so much. I love the Lekair cholesterol or the ORS replenishing packs anyway, but especially when in braids because I like to be sure they're well saturated. I am relaxed btw.

My routine used to be somewhat similar to yours. I would wear braids/twists for around a month, would co-wash during that time, but would only DC when I took the braids/twists out. I noticed my hair was very dry, especially when my hair was loose and not in a protective style.

I have been DC'ing regularly while in protective styles since late last year, and I must say I have seen a significant improvement in my hair's overall health, including my ends. My hair is very moisturized and soft, both in and out of protective styles. I DC with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.

HTH.

I am so glad to have a found this thread. I wanted to joing hte DC 2010 but wasn't sure if I could DC in braids. I will begin this STAT and report results.

I actually find that it's easier to DC in braids since I don't have to create a style when I'm done. I also make sure to do a protein treatment every 2-3 months, or whenever I take my braids down.

How do you go about DCing while you are wearing braids? Do you just spray a conditioner mix on it?

^^^ Yes. Dilute conditioner in a water bottle and spray on your braids. DC'ing in braids is terrific, when you do take down the braids, your hair is nice and moist and your breakage is minimal.

^^^ Yes. Dilute conditioner in a water bottle and spray on your braids. DC'ing in braids is terrific, when you do take down the braids, your hair is nice and moist and your breakage is minimal.

Do you wash the conditioner out?

I use steamer without shower cap. In order to prevent dripping, I apply conditioner full strength to dry braids, use steamer and rinse afterwards.

I deep condition when in cornrows and leave a little conditioner in hair. When I take my conditioner down I have less breakage and my hair soft.
Shana

I've been dcing my kinky twists with lekair cholesterol. I just spread it on my scalp as much as I can with my fingers. I try to sit under the dryer but this last time I didnt I just wore a plastic cap. After I rinse it out then shampoo, condition, and used a leave in spray. Does this sound about right?

I'm 13months into my transition, and a few months ago I started to Deep condition, and Co-Wash with my cornrows ( It's my transition style.)
I use a protein conditioner, Once every two weeks, and it strengthens my hair. The growth is phenomenal, When you wear braids the hair gets dry and by Co-Washing and deep conditioning you revitalize the scalp! So give it a try.

Can i deep condition sythenthic hair?

I wouldn't think of it as conditioning the synthetic hair but rather my own hair. That the synthetic hair gets the product on it, would be of no concern to me. Yes, any fake hair (even human hair) getting conditioned is a waste but there's no way around that. So if I had synthetic hair, I'd still DC my hair.

BTW, when I DC, I focus on applying neat (undiluted) conditioner only to the length of my hair. I don't waste it on the section of the extension hair that doesn't contain my hair.

The way I do it is first put my hair in one cornrow going forward, then I pull out a few braids, apply conditioner from about an inch away from the base/scalp all the way to where my hair ends. I use fingers and apply similarly to how relaxer is applied to hair with a brush. I then squeeze those few braids and leave them hanging down so the the concentration of the conditioner drips to the ends of my hair where it's most needed. I might put those few braids in one braid to get them out of the way, but I usually do that if I didn't first put them all in a cornrow, just so I can tell which ones have been worked on. Once all are covered in conditioner, I put on a plastic cap and may go under a dryer or not.

After about 15 minutes, I rinse off using a squeezing motion with head held under a shower spray.

That is what i do, well I just pour it on my head, squeeze out and go.

Can i deep condition sythenthic hair?

Yes, Nonie's answer is what i would say.

I wouldn't think of it as conditioning the synthetic hair but rather my own hair. That the synthetic hair gets the product on it, would be of no concern to me. Yes, any fake hair (even human hair) getting conditioned is a waste but there's no way around that. So if I had synthetic hair, I'd still DC my hair.

One extra trick that works great for me is shea butter. You can melt some shea butter and smooth it over the braids. Then let it sit over night and wash in the morning. Your hair will be so silky smooth when you take it out of braids.

I think I'm gonna try it. When I had my braids in february of last year I only used instant conditioners. For the ladies that dc while in braids, do you do it every week?

I'm wearing wigs, and I DC my cornrows once a week while working out. When I get home from the gym, I rinse thoroughly while in the shower.

Back