Dumb Questions About Demi Permanent Hair Dye

dany06

Although I plan to never ever ever let anything above a semi permanent dye touch my hair again(henna is an exception), I just have to ask these questions. As you guys know demi permanent is not permanent, but it uses low level developer to open the cuticles. Well when it eventually wears off do you just touch up the roots or can you do your whole head again? My other thing is does the developer simply open the cuticle or does it do any damage like in a permanent color. And if it does cause damage then how do you freshen up your color after it fades? I know that you could simply use a semi permanent to freshen up the color but then why do a demi permanent at all since it cant lift color?

Christelyn

Although I plan to never ever ever let anything above a semi permanent dye touch my hair again(henna is an exception), I just have to ask these questions. As you guys know demi permanent is not permanent, but it uses low level developer to open the cuticles. Well when it eventually wears off do you just touch up the roots or can you do your whole head again? My other thing is does the developer simply open the cuticle or does it do any damage like in a permanent color. And if it does cause damage then how do you freshen up your color after it fades? I know that you could simply use a semi permanent to freshen up the color but then why do a demi permanent at all since it cant lift color?

I would like to know this too. I am using a semi-permanent color that I bought at Salley's but while I was there I noticed a demi-permanent color line, which I asked a salesperson about but couldn't get a satisfying answer.

loolalooh

Not dumb questions at all. This is what I found, and I hope it helps a bit. My impression is:

Yes, you would have to apply the demi-permanent color to your whole hair again.
It is not as damaging as permanent color, but because there's some lifting of the cuticle, it has the potential to be damaging.
Demi-permanents are done for a longer lasting, more noticeable color than semi-permanents.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hair-coloring3.htm

Hopefully others can chime in.

Ediese

I was wondering about getting a demi permanent too. When I looked at the ingredients for the developer (hydrogen peroxide), I put it down and decided on a semi permanent color...although it didn't even work.

~Hair~Fetish~

I've been using L'Oreal Color Gems from Sally's, which is a demi permanent color.... for about 2 years now. I love it! When I was using permanent color, my hair wasn't as healthy, plus whenever I relaxed, the hair that got relaxer on it turned a dull brown color (I always dye my hair jet black). I don't have this problem with the demi permanent color, plus it lasts through lots of co-washing and shampoos. I usually only color about once every 2 months, or whenever my grays get too noticeable.

Oh yeah... semi permanents never worked for me. Either it didn't "take" or it washed out within one or 2 shampoos.

outspokenwallflower

The best demi-permanent color out there, and it is pretty much the best because it is the #1 voted stylists/salon choice in America is Redken Shades EQ. The color variety is large and AMAZING, it almost works like a conditioner in your hair; it leaves your hair soft, rich in color and shiny-- and the processing solution is a special, specifically created one for Redken because the hydrogen peroxide is of the lowest on the market and there is no ammonia, etc. I absolutely love these, and other reviews sings its praises as well.:grin:

Lookie here: www.doyoushadeseq.com

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I just bought a clear demi-permanent from Sally's today (brand was Ion), and the salesgirl/stylist said that it was gentle enough to do at the same time as a relaxer. Now, it's still a chemical process, but she also recommended putting some Argan Moraccan oil in with the color/developer to condition your hair while the color is being applied.

Idk. Kinda makes me nervous, but I'm going to try it next time I straighten. I'll just have to have lots of protein and porosity treatments on hand!

SingBrina

So what is the diff between Semi and Demi!?

And whhhhaattt!!??? This is still considered a chemical?

Also, how often can this be done? I like jet black hair

sqzbly1908

So what is the diff between Semi and Demi!?

And whhhhaattt!!??? This is still considered a chemical?

Also, how often can this be done? I like jet black hair

Demi - has to be mixed with a little processing solution (peroxide) however it is gentle enough to be used the same day after relaxing, the color last longer, and there is no bleeding... The only demi that I use is Redken Shades EQ....I have not used the black but I have seen it and it is very pretty and the shine is crazy - I haven't done it in a while but I when I did - I would do it every touch up (at that time I was relaxing every 6-8 weeks)

Semi - No mix - Jazzing, Colorshowers, Colorshines, Adore, etc....lasts about 6-8 shampoos (depending on the density of your hair)