Detangling time question for 4b or 4a/b texlaxed

How often do you detangle and how long does it take you?

• I detangle more frequently than once a week and it takes me 30 min or less

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I detangle once a week or less frequently and it takes me 30 min or less

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I detangle more frequently than once a week and it takes me 30 min or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I detangle once a week or less frequently and it takes me 30 min or more

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon123

I have a question for 4bs or 4a/bs who are texlaxed. How long does it take you to detangle? How often do you do it? And if you were natural before, did texlaxing significantly reduce your detangling time?

Firefly

I am texlaxed and it takes me 30 minutes (more when I'm stretching my relaxer) to detangle. When I was natural it took me longer. Now when I'm stretching my relaxer I have to be extra careful with my fine/thin hair because of the line of demarcation and because I'm texlaxed and still have curls in my hair. I could probably do it faster but I don't want to take the chance of losing any of my length so I'm very gentle and I take my time.

Chameleonchick

I would say about 30 minutes if I only washed one time per week, or maybe 15-20 when I co wash frequently. I am also stretching i'm 12 weeks now (going for 22) as the weeks progress its getting more towards the 30 minutes, but detangling in the shower helps out A LOT!

vnaps

i dont have all the issues with detangling that i read alot of peopel having especially when transitioning from bone straight to texlaxed......

i dont get knots (touch wood....lol) or have trouble detangling the two....no 3 textures.....but i try and make sure my hair is welll moisturised/well conditoned....

i detangle once a week with a jilbere shower comb and denman brush (i think it really helps get rid of tangled shed hairs and i am less afraid of using it.......)....i section it and i think it takes less than 30mins

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
How long does it take you to detangle?

less than 10 minutes.

How often do you do it?

1-2 times a week

And if you were natural before, did texlaxing significantly reduce your detangling time?

I never had problems with detangling. I'd say that it would take me about 20ish minutes to detangle 4 sections because I'd go through first with a wide tooth comb and then with a denman brush.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The video below has been my method for washing since my early transition and it's always worked well for me. The key point is to always keep the hair going in same direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sx1c9AwJkc&feature=channel_page

AtlantaJJ

I have a question for 4bs or 4a/bs who are texlaxed. How long does it take you to detangle? How often do you do it? And if you were natural before, did texlaxing significantly reduce your detangling time?
Whatchu asking about MWedzi (in my best Gary Colman voice)... Natural cotton head butting in here...:giggle:

You not thinking of relaxing are ya? :scratchch

Do you shampoo in loose braids? That helps me a ton! I also have some other detangle tricks up my sleeves I'd be happy to share with you.

anon123

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

How long does it take you to detangle?

less than 10 minutes.

How often do you do it?

1-2 times a week

And if you were natural before, did texlaxing significantly reduce your detangling time?

I never had problems with detangling. I'd say that it would take me about 20ish minutes to detangle 4 sections because I'd go through first with a wide tooth comb and then with a denman brush.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The video below has been my method for washing since my early transition and it's always worked well for me. The key point is to always keep the hair going in same direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sx1c9AwJkc&feature=channel_page

Wait a minute, then what was that "get out of jail free card" you got once you relaxed?

Whatchu asking about MWedzi (in my best Gary Colman voice)... Natural cotton head butting in here...:giggle:

You not thinking of relaxing are ya? :scratchch

Do you shampoo in loose braids? That helps me a ton! I also have some other detangle tricks up my sleeves I'd be happy to share with you.

Yep, thinking of it. Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried all the detangling tricks in the world, but in the end, my hair is what it is. :ohwell:

Rapunzel*

Yep, thinking of it. Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried all the detangling tricks in the world, but in the end, my hair is what it is. :ohwell:
i thought about texlaxing or relaxing too. i just wanna have less shrinkage and the knots are killing meeh!

prospurr4

I'm 4b, texlaxed, and it probably takes me 30 minutes or less to detangle only, which I do once a week. I say "probably" because my detangling is always combined with another step, like rollersetting or twists for airdrying. For example, I usually part my hair, detangle that section, then roll or twist that section, until I've finished my entire head. My combination process takes about 45 minutes.

AtlantaJJ

The randomness of my relaxing results and then my last disaster which lead to the emergency BC keeps me motivated to understand and master the science of keeping cotton hair untangled and unknotted <is that a word?> I rather have knots and tangles than to be near bald again.

I understand your doing research and looking at your options. Just think long and carefully. I know I was horrible at self relaxing, and I don't trust hair dressers any more. But if can find a good one, they are golden and can do you a wonderful service. Just make sure you are aware of the risks along with the benefits.

harrison

Detangling has become a lot easier and quicker.
1. I still use the denman, working from the ends up.
2. Hair is still wet and slathered with conditioner.

I'm not really into straight styles. So although I could probably get my hair straight doing a roller set, I still either braid or twist it.

But the braiding and/or twisting time has been reduced by, at the minimum, half of what it was prior to texlaxing. I don't have nearly as many knots or tangles. I can actually get my entire head done before my arms start to hurt. :lachen: I am very nervous about breakage now. Since I was one of those naturals that didn't need protein because my hair was pretty strong. I've had to change up a few products and make sure I add protein. Also, moisture. I would skip a day or two or three before and wouldn't worry, now I make sure I put something on it daily.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Wait a minute, then what was that "get out of jail free card" you got once you relaxed?

When I get a touch up, I can detangle in 2 minutes with my fingers. After about 6 weeks the detangle time goes between 5 and 7 minutes with a comb. That's why I said less than 10 minutes.

When I was natural I had to detangle in sections first with a comb and then with a denman brush.

Remember, 99% of me relaxing was because of single strand knots, the quicker detangling time was just a bonus.

vkb247

It takes me about 5-7 minutes to detangle depending on how I have my hair prior to my cowash. I was detangling once or twice a week but now I am playing around with doing it less because I like the clumpiness I get. Because I don't have issues detangling I am guessing that detangling less often won't be an issue.

My hair was much shorter when I was natural and my natural hair is more wiry and doesn't retain moisture well so I was always took much more care when detangling. The process was longer and less pleasant because of those things.

audacity.

i only comb my hair out once a week and it takes me 15 mins or less to get through my whole head (in 4 sometimes 2 sections). i still have bone straight relaxed ends.

when i was transitioning, at the peak of my transition, it took me 60 minutes or more in 9-12 sections...