Did Cantu Shea change their leave in formula???

Which Cantu formula do you like better, old or new?

• I'm relaxed and I like the old formula

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'm relaxed and I like the new formula

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I'm transitioning and I like the old formula

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I'm transitioning and I like the new formula

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm natural and I like the old formula

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'm natural and I like the new formula

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Wow....when you posted this, I emailed Cantu, but I've yet to hear anything back. I'm very disappointed to hear this. This is my staple leave in. I'm so upset right now.

Wow....when you posted this, I emailed Cantu, but I've yet to hear anything back. I'm very disappointed to hear this. This is my staple leave in. I'm so upset right now.

I meant to post this too.. I been using cantu LI for five years and .. it is not the same .. I still get good reasults thought .. it does not smell off like the old forumula ..and it seems richer .. but who knows,what the heck they did to it lol .. Can't wait till you hear back from them

I just recieved my Cantu Shea leave in moisture cream in the mail from Beauty of NY, and it's creamy, not the thick mousse texture than I'm use to.:nono: And the jar looks slighty different.

This is what I ordered,

but I got a jar that looks like this :perplexed, minus the writing below the Shea, it still has the old writing, just in a different color, and the Shea is bolded like this.

EXPECT, the product is leave in cond. repair cream. At least that's what the writing says on the jar below the Shea butter. I couldn't find a pic. of the actual new jar to post. So I used this product as an example. Also the writing on the bottom is the same as the old jar, but is in orange like this jar. It smells the same also.

These are 2 different products under the cantu line. I think they sent you the wrong one. The shea butter creme leave in and the shea butter grow strong treatment are 2 different products.

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/cashbuleinco.html

This is the other product..
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/cashbugrstst.html

I just recieved my Cantu Shea leave in moisture cream in the mail from Beauty of NY, and it's creamy, not the thick mousse texture than I'm use to.:nono: And the jar looks slighty different.

This is what I ordered,

but I got a jar that looks like this :perplexed, minus the writing below the Shea, it still has the old writing, just in a different color, and the Shea is bolded like this.

EXPECT, the product is leave in cond. repair cream. At least that's what the writing says on the jar below the Shea butter. I couldn't find a pic. of the actual new jar to post. So I used this product as an example. Also the writing on the bottom is the same as the old jar, but is in orange like this jar. It smells the same also.

fl I bought both of these the sanme time at the same store and no, Cantu hasn't changed the shea butter formula - the shea is a leave-in but the grow strong and the break cure are daily moisturizing strengtheners. I use the latter two to strengthen the strands of my hair the last 3 days before a relaxer.

fl I bought both of these the sanme time at the same store and no, Cantu hasn't changed the shea butter formula - the shea is a leave-in but the grow strong and the break cure are daily moisturizing strengtheners. I use the latter two to strengthen the strands of my hair the last 3 days before a relaxer.

See post #29:grin: I think I'm gonna start a new thread, because I confused everyone.:look:

This is what I ordered,

bump........

I only posted the pic. of the treatment the first time because I couldn't find a pic. of the new jar on the net to post, and my camera wasn't charged yet. I just wanted to show the way "Shea" was bolded in green. The first pic. was for example only. I wasn't speaking on that product per say. These two are suppose to be the same. Unfortunately they aren't :nono: Sorry for the confusion.
Hmmm, I'd better hold onto my old jar to compare the formulas when I find the new version then. Thanks for posting FL.

Ok this is really crazy, I don't have my camera because my dd swiped it to use for a few days, so I'll post a pic later. Anyhoo, I sent my sister on a quest for the original formula of the product. She found the jar like I have with the new writing at Walmart by her house, and it had the same creamy consistency as mine. So of course I didn't want it. Ok no problem right?? Now guess what? She went to the Asian bbs and found me my original formula!!! Same mousse texture and everything!! :happydance::woohoo:But the weird part is, it has the new label:perplexed:ohwell::look: I put the jars next to each other open, just as I thought , the difference was like night and day. The jar from the bss looked like cottage cheese almost, but with the new label. (still can't figure that out). My jar looks almost yogurt like in texture. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the consistency changes the older the product gets?

Last edited:
Ok this is really crazy, I don't have my camera because my dd swiped it to use for a few days, so I'll post a pic later. Anyhoo, I sent my sister on a quest for the original formula of the product. She found the jar like I have with the new writing at Walmart by her house, and it had the same creamy consistency as mine. So of course I didn't want it. Ok no problem right?? Now guess what? She went to the Asian bbs and found me my original formula!!! Same mousse texture and everything!! :happydance::woohoo:But the weird part is, it has the new label:perplexed:ohwell::look: I put the jars next to each other open, just as I thought , the difference was like night and day. The jar from the bss looked like cottage cheese almost, but with the new label. (still can't figure that out). My jar looks almost yogurt like on texture. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the consistency changes the older the product gets?

Wow...this is strange. I'm hoping they didn't change the formula on us. They never replied to my email either. When you used the "new" formula, did you notice any difference?

Ok here are the update photo's:
First jar is the original Cantu Shea. Second jar is the one my sis just picked up at the bbs. (new label same texture as original.:perplexed). The last jar is the one I ordered from NY bbs online.(new jar, looks different than the first 2, plus this one has the creamy texture.:sad:). This is also the jar now found at Walmart.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 42
Flowin locks, you should edit your first post to include your picture as not to confuse anyone.

I've always had the cantu with the new jar. It'll be a while before I need a new one. But I might go by the drugstore later to open the jars and check it out.

I'll be very sad if they change it. :(

Ok here are the update photo's:
First jar is the original Cantu Shea. Second jar is the one my sis just picked up at the bbs. (new label same texture as original.:perplexed). The last jar is the one I ordered from NY bbs online.(new jar, looks different than the first 2, plus this one has the creamy texture.:sad:). This is also the jar now found at Walmart.

Yeah, mine is the dark green lettering and mousse texture. I've never had it any other way (this is my fourth jar in a year.)

I think it's probably something in the way they make it. Like bad batches or something.

There was a thread around here a while ago in which someone thought something was wrong with hers because it wasn't smooth.

Wow...this is strange. I'm hoping they didn't change the formula on us. They never replied to my email either. When you used the "new" formula, did you notice any difference?

I emailed them also and never recieved a reply. The new jar from the bss was wonderful, just like the original:drunk:

Found this thread using the "search" function. I tried the Cantu maybe a year ago and hated it. It was the "cottage cheese" texture. I used it on damp hair and airdried... came out crunchy. There is a recent thread about the warning regarding using it on NG, and a lot of folks were saying how it "melted" their NG.... so I decided to re-purchase and give it another try (gave the first jar away after it didn't work for me). The one I picked up from Wal-mart today has more of a creamy lotion-type texture. Tried it on damp hair.... no crunchies. I actually like the creamy version better.

Did anyone ever find out why the texture changed?

It's funny that you brought this up. I have had my sister on a mission for the cottage cheese textured one, since she has more bbs by her. I emailed the company twice since starting this thread and still no response. It's getting harder and harder for her to find the old formula. When most stores replenish their supply it's usually the creamy one.:ohwell: My hair laughs at this one. I don't mind the stiffness form the old one because it holds my bun down beautifully, even when I have a sea of ng.

I am glad this thread was bumped up because I thought I was going crazy. I finished up my old jar of Cantu & when I opened the new jar I immediately realized the texture was different. I had a little left in the old jar & compared the two. Its exactly whats described here. The old formula was more like cottage cheese. I actually thought maybe my old jar had lumped up to form the cottage cheese appearance because I've had it for a while. I didn't even realize that the jars were actually different. This clears up the mystery. I didn't notice a difference in my hair though. It seemed to handle my 10.5 months of new growth as well as the old formula.

So you guys are saying that you like the cottage cheese like formula better right? I just bought this product for the very first time and I am currently using it under my half wig as a daily leave in. I like it so far, but I have never used the smooth formula so I can't compare.

Maybe someone should put up a poll to see which formula people liked better (and for which types of hair...natural vs relaxed vs. transitioning).

The poll thingy is a good idea... unfortunately I haven't mastered the fine art of creating one. Maybe someone will attempt???

So you guys are saying that you like the cottage cheese like formula better right? I just bought this product for the very first time and I am currently using it under my half wig as a daily leave in. I like it so far, but I have never used the smooth formula so I can't compare.

Maybe someone should put up a poll to see which formula people liked better (and for which types of hair...natural vs relaxed vs. transitioning).

That's a good idea.:yep:

Found this thread using the "search" function. I tried the Cantu maybe a year ago and hated it. It was the "cottage cheese" texture. I used it on damp hair and airdried... came out crunchy. There is a recent thread about the warning regarding using it on NG, and a lot of folks were saying how it "melted" their NG.... so I decided to re-purchase and give it another try (gave the first jar away after it didn't work for me). The one I picked up from Wal-mart today has more of a creamy lotion-type texture. Tried it on damp hair.... no crunchies. I actually like the creamy version better.

Did anyone ever find out why the texture changed?

The bolded is exactly what happened with me.

I never used the original Cantu, but my hair loves the new version. I'm 4b, natural, CBL. My hair feels so soft and moisturized. I use it as a leave-in under a wig since I'm protective styling until the end of the year.

I just discovered this in the last few days and the new formula is just what i needed to tame my NG.. I have no complaints.. its become a staple overnight:)

Back