Did I ruin my hair?? *tears*

vivEz daNs lamouR

So if you checked my other post about the Nexxus Emergencee, then you have an idea of whats going on. In the process of moving, did a braidout last week for about 5 days (which 4 out of the 5 days I actually just keep the cornrows in) and then did a 2 day pre-poo which I did NOT mean to do - I was just too overwhelmed that I went ahead and left it in.

Finally got around to washing this morning and found out my hair was overmoisturized - mushy, weak feeling and hairs snapping and popping EVERYWHERE! :nono: So I did a protein treatment, felt a bit of an improvement but not much - and had to detangle with a comb under running water so I could put my hair up and in a bun for the rest of the week until next wash. I didnt see any hairs coming out in the comb so I thought 'wow, okay I guess I corrected it.'

NOPE. Looked at the drain and for the first time since before LHCF, my hair was in the tub so much that the water stopped going down the drain!

I want to say that I shedded and broke more hairs than usual because of my overload of moisture and my not brushing or combing my hair for those 5 days while I had the braidouts, but I also don't want to lie to myself. I want to cry right now :crying3:

Did I completely reverse all of the work I've done? Any suggestions at all? Please help!!

Cleve_gryl

((HUGS)) I know how you feel when things aren't going well with the hair. I think your shedding is due to the fact you were in a braidout and didn't comb your hair for several days. Remember that you normally shed like 50+ hair a day normally...so, if you haven't let those hairs come out each day, they will shed when they're loose. You did a good thing by adding the protein after the moisture overload. Just baby and work on your balance for a couple weeks.

ETA: That is how much I shed on a normal wash day :look:

Chromia

That's shed hair that didn't come out because you didn't comb your hair. I only comb my hair once a week, on wash day, so all of my shed hair from the week comes out at once.

BrooklynSouth

Take comfort from the previous posts....shed hair..it hadda come out. Perfect your moisture/protein balance and 'grow-forth'...don't stress too much.

SleepyJean

So if you checked my other post about the Nexxus Emergencee, then you have an idea of whats going on. In the process of moving, did a braidout last week for about 5 days (which 4 out of the 5 days I actually just keep the cornrows in) and then did a 2 day pre-poo which I did NOT mean to do - I was just too overwhelmed that I went ahead and left it in.

Finally got around to washing this morning and found out my hair was overmoisturized - mushy, weak feeling and hairs snapping and popping EVERYWHERE! :nono: So I did a protein treatment, felt a bit of an improvement but not much - and had to detangle with a comb under running water so I could put my hair up and in a bun for the rest of the week until next wash. I didnt see any hairs coming out in the comb so I thought 'wow, okay I guess I corrected it.'

NOPE. Looked at the drain and for the first time since before LHCF, my hair was in the tub so much that the water stopped going down the drain!

I want to say that I shedded and broke more hairs than usual because of my overload of moisture and my not brushing or combing my hair for those 5 days while I had the braidouts, but I also don't want to lie to myself. I want to cry right now :crying3:

Did I completely reverse all of the work I've done? Any suggestions at all? Please help!!

I honestly don't think that could have came from the braidout unless you braided WAY TOO tightly.

vivEz daNs lamouR

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Right now I just have my hair airdrying under a satin scarf - I'm gonna just do very low manipulation and probably do a henna treatment this week.

SleepyJean

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Right now I just have my hair airdrying under a satin scarf - I'm gonna just do very low manipulation and probably do a henna treatment this week.

Don't overreact! :yep: It could just be an accumulation hairs from the week, and doing certain seasons, hair sheds like crazy for some. I'm sure it's fine, but zooming in and taking a pic won't make you feel any better. lol. :grin:

Last edited:

napgurl

^ ITA. This is a minor set back. I think a honey and castor oil pre-poo will get you back on track.

Amarech

Awww....It's always shocking when things like this happen. I remember the day I realized I had ruined my hair. I used to walk around with a nice thick bun or pony tail, whichever I felt like. Then one day I looked in the mirror and realized that my thick ponytail/bun had shrunk to half its size. It was sad. And those pics you posted of balls of hair? I had that about twice a day.

The thing that comforts me most is that in 5 months this will all be a memory and I will have my hair back....

hang in there!:)

kaykaybobay

I used the Nexxus emergencee because I thought I needed it, I was wrong I didnt, it made my hair horrible, the only thing that turned my hair around and reveresed the emergencee effects was that I used this shikaki shampoo bar for some reason it just turned my hair around immediatly.

Brownie518

Take comfort from the previous posts....shed hair..it hadda come out. Perfect your moisture/protein balance and 'grow-forth'...don't stress too much.

I agree :yep:. Just be easy and take care of your hair. It could have been a lot worse than that, I am sure we all know. You will be fine. Keep an eye on your locks and maintain your balance, like BrooklySouth said. You should be okay. Keep us updated and keep your head up!!! :grin: