Did women have long/"good" hair in your family except you?

No. Most of the women in my family on both sides mainly have/had Anita Baker-length hair. My grandma on my dad's side always wears wigs and keeps her long plaits protectively oiled and hidden away (wonder why she didn't cultivate healthy hair habits in my aunts and her granddaughters?). Any length past ears is considered long hair for black women in my family. Once I started working out a lot in adulthood, I started washing or rinsing my hair a lot and that's when my hair ultimately grew to shoulders. Of course family members acted like I was crazy. You know: "You can't wash your hair every day or it's gonna fall out - you ain't white." My response: "Why you think white people have long hair in first place?"

The biggest lie the devil ever told black women is that we shouldn't wash our hair.

Last edited:
My family has a mix of 3's and 4's. Mind you, it was the 4's who had the longest hair! I am talking butt length in some cases, and their hair grew the fastest!

We were not allowed to make hair comparisons either, our family is really mixed, then too, why differentiate, the 3's were drooling all over the 4's anyway ;0)

My family has a mix of 3's and 4's. Mind you, it was the 4's who had the longest hair! I am talking butt length in some cases, and their hair grew the fastest!

We were not allowed to make hair comparisons either, our family is really mixed, then too, why differentiate, the 3's were drooling all over the 4's anyway ;0)

@ the bolded - Sounds like my family. But yeah, I have 1-4 in my family. As long as it's healthy, it's all good!

My dad didn't outright tell me I didn't have nice hair, but he'd make comments to my sister "Give me some of that pretty hair!" He never said it to me, and that did hurt.

Awww...You know what on the flip side. When my cousins were rocking the "Push it" A symetrical Salt-N-Peppa hair style. I had a ponytail. When Oprah's hair was big and fly. I had a ponytail. Yeah I had the natural "S" curl. We see how long that lasted. I think my hay day was when Pebbles came out with the "Girlfriend" video. But all of the best hairstyles my cousins wore either tore my hair out or I just couldn't do. They had long 4/b/c hair and could wear any style. I was so jealous.

Even now there is a girl I work with who has they flyiest pull back halfro I have ever seen. All I can do is admire.:lick:

Last edited:
One of the reasons I decided to stop getting relaxers and embrace my natural hair was my family. In fact, they were a HUGE part of it. My grandmother is White, so my mom and her two sisters were/are biracial. Of 7 grandchildren, only 1 of us has a father who is "all Black". That would be me. So while everyone else was of lighter skin and/or wavy/curly hair, I was the brown skinned, coarsely nappy-haired one. I got it BAD. Worst part, my mom was the only one who didn't make me feel like some tar baby outcast. There were always negative comments about my hair, ALWAYS. My aunt, in fact, is the one who put in my first relaxer, while my mom was on a business trip and against her wishes. I was 6 and I kept it relaxed until I was 16. When I got it done, I felt like I finally blended in with them more. The comments eased up (as long as it was "done"). Even as an adult, there were negative comments about locs (but mine were acceptable because they were neat and not dirty :| ), afros, etc.

Oddly enough, they were slaves to relaxers and didn't "need" them. It was a mess... still is.

This is my hair story...

All my 3 sisters have the " good/ long hair growing up, there hair was down there backs, while mine was at my neck . I figured out what the good hair/ long hair is.. All of them have thick strands and I have very very fine strands that break easily. Yes I hated my hair and at times I still hate my fine strands...

But thanks to LHCF I learned alot about my hair and what I needed to do to make it grow.. And My family is African ( Liberian)

no idea. everyone in my fam was relaxed when i was growin up, except for my type 3 biracial cousihn. no one ever said she had good hair, or that i or anyone else had good hair. i just assumed we all had good hair because it was long and people always said we had pretty hair. anyway, i did always wonder why my cousin didn't get relaxers like the rest of us. i guess that does mean that there is an unspoken "good hair" type, since she got to wear hers natural and no one else did. it was never questioned though. ♥

I had the long hair on my dad's side, my cousin used to cry b/c she wanted hair long as mine. My mom and grandmother always kept their hair short. My mom used to have long wavy hair though before I was a thought.

I don't come from a family of long hairs or "good hairs." I am actually on my hair growing journey to prove to my cousins that there is no such thing as good or bad hair. We can have long hair as long as we understand how to care for it.

Your story is similar to mine! My sisters don't even want to hear me talk about hair now. I really don't think they want my hair to be nice... (sigh). I look forward to waist length! I love that "slap them in the face with my hair" line"!!!

Yep, but I didn't. My hair was always shoulder length as a child. My mom's hair was past her butt when she was little and my grandma on my dads side hair was to her knee's.

All my cousins had very long hair and they would make fun of me. It was so hurtful. My braids didn't look as neat as theirs. My edges didn't lay down as slick as theirs. The only time I liked my hair was when my grandma pressed it.

What do they have to say now?

I was the brown skinned, coarsely nappy-haired one. I got it BAD. Worst part, my mom was the only one who didn't make me feel like some tar baby outcast. There were always negative comments about my hair, ALWAYS.
Oddly enough, they were slaves to relaxers and didn't "need" them. It was a mess... still is.

Man, that's rough. I always got the comments, too, but not like this! It really is awful that family members are so cold and insensitive sometimes. :nono:

Back