What Are Your Reasons for Going Natural?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I wanted to love my natural hair and not feel like I had to alter it to fit in with society. I wanted my hair to say F society and their ideals of what beauty is. I was also encouraged by Hair Crush on Youtubes "why I went natural" video. She made so much sense to me. I find it sad that when us black women want to wear our hair the way it comes out of our scalps, that everyone makes a huge deal about it. White women, Indian women etc. have been wearing their natural hair since birth. I don't see how wearing my hair how it was meant to be worn is following some type of trend. We don't call other races wearing their natural hair, a trend. I can't wait until natural on us, is the norm :ohwell:

Last edited:

Risingsun

I wanted to love my natural hair and not feel like I had to alter it to fit in with society. I wanted my hair to say F society and their ideals of what beauty is. I was also encouraged by Hair Crush on Youtubes "why I went natural" video. She made so much sense to me. I find it sad that when us black women want to wear our hair the way it comes out of our scalps, that everyone makes a huge deal about it. White women, Indian women etc. have been wearing their natural hair since birth. I don't see how wearing my hair how it was meant to be worn is following some type of trend. We don't call other races wearing their natural hair, a trend. I can't wait until natural on us, is the norm :ohwell:
Yes, they are calling it a trend. Let me tell you my curly hair is here to stay. lol There is something deeper about us wearing our curls high and wide or long and short. I think it sets us apart from the whole world and we have a beauty of our own that is unmatched. We have been hiding for too long. It is time to come out and show the world who we truly are and that we are not ashamed.

lovemyhair247

I went natural because my struggle pony tail was too real and my nape and the hair in the middle of head rejected the heck out of relaxers. My mom used to do my relaxers for me but once I moved to a predominately white area in the sixth grade, all the length I achieved went out the window, because I would just wash and blow dry my weak damaged hair over and over. Then when I reached my freshman year of high school one of my best friends whose hair was flawless relaxed decided to transition so I decided to follow suit. I wanted thick, healthy hair so I transitioned for a year underneath braided extensions and big chopped on October 1St 2011 and began my HHJ.
Relaxers were not the complete devil to my tresses but they were no angel either. Relaxers were too high maintenance for me and my big old head. I'm not at a point where I'm rocking my natural hair as freely as I want to but I'll get there eventually.
I'm not a very trendy person but I like to explore different avenues and see what works for me. Natural hair was just one thing that clicked for me.

lux10023

because my hair is everything in its natural state

relaxed its nice--but natural it is gorg.....big bold bodacious healthy hair...luv!

Mskraizy

Reason #1) I remember in middle school, one of my friends had a short TWA that was always sooooo plush and so soft. She always let me play in it and I always secretly wanted her hair!

Reason #2) I remember sitting in the auditorium of my acting class in 9th grade, dreaming about wearing a waaaay big curl ponytail on the side with a thin red headband along with this red and white outfit I imagined up and feeling like I was on top of the world...I knew I had to have big hair like that!

Reason #3) My last relaxer BURNED OFF my nape hair and left that completely natural. I didn't know that was natural actually until a week before my big chop. After I realized my nape was fully natural and how curly it was, it lead to my big chop days later. :grin:

Reason #4) I like starting stuff in my household. :lol: just kidding. (but my ma was on fiiiyaaaaa!)

Reason #5) Embracing my natural curls was a start to becoming the true "Me" I had always dreamt about being in high school.

Reason #6) I have a big head.....Relaxed hair just wasn't framin it right. :ohwell:

SweetlyCurly

I went natural ultimately because of laziness and lack of time. My last relaxer was towards the end of my pregnancy. After my son was born I didn't have the time or desire to be in the hair salon all the time so I started researching ways of doing my own hair at home and that's when I found all those lovely YouTubers that we know and love. Became obsessed with watching tutorials and trying new products and became increasingly curious as to what my natural hair would look like. I'm very glad I did it. I always hated the hair salon experience...spending half of my day at a hair salon only to come out with the smell of burn hair. Love that I can wash when I want now and my hair always smells great now.

PJaye

Because I came to the realization that this is how I’m supposed to be and I needed to work with what I got, especially since the alternative makes my hair look sickly.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I used to only relax my hair about 4 times a year, so then I thought maybe I could cut it down to 3. Then I had the crazy thought to do maybe 2 or even 1 relaxer a year. Then I had the craziest thought ever, what if I NEVER get another relaxer. Couple of months later, I BC'd. Been natural since.

Joigirl

I decided in 2011 to stop relaxing after my sister and mom become straight naturals. I had a short natural fade twice in the past but didn't think I could grow it out due to the sheer volume of my hair. My mom's thinning crown made me rethink the relaxer. My mom had a relaxer or perm for about 30 years straight and her hair paid the price. She no longer had the thick beautiful hair of her youth. I didn't want to suffer the same fate. My relaxed hair was extremely damaged from daily flat ironing. Now that I know better, I don't know how I had any hair at all. I had broken strands everywhere.

Once I saw MahoganyCurls and HairCrush after googling natural hair, I was hooked. I big chopped in 2012 and never looked back. I love my natural curls and I am mad that it took my 40 years to figure this out. Now if only I could convince my mom and sister to give up the flat iron...

Dayjoy

Old School Member
My DD got old enough to start questioning why I told her that her hair was beautiful the way it grew out of her head, but relaxed my own hair. In her own way she was calling me a hypocrite and she was right. I needed to model love for my own hair in order to help her to love her own.

That was 66% of it. The other 34% is that I realized that I LOVE BIG HAIR. :grin:

blue_flower

I was natural back in 2003. When my hair was shorter, it was easier to style. However when it became longer it became a hassle so i started texturizing. Over time I had different textures on my head. I saw my new growth coming in and it was strong and had a tight curl pattern. So I transitioned for over a year and a half and cut off the ends when my natural hair reached shoulder length. Now my hair is arm pit length. I get many compliments and questions about my hair. When I want to straighten it I just use my instyler. There are more natural hair care products out today then there were in 2003 that's for sure.

Ogoma

I just got tired of spending hours in the salon waiting. My appointment was at 4:00, it's now 4:45. I'm ready to go :nono: I just got impatient and stopped wanting to pay my money to wait.

Exact same reason! Just got tired of the whole process.

ladybug71

I had been relaxing my hair for about 20 years and got a bad touch up in January 2013 :nono: for days after I got home, I'd run my hands through or comb my hair and it was shed city. Add that to irritated scalp, I figured there had to be a better way. I was just tired. My good friend suggested I go natural as she had been and turned me onto YouTube and I started paying more attention to the natural threads on lhcf. I started transitioning in February and was weaved up most of 2013. I got amazing growth and retention. It was sooo cool seeing the hair from my childhood and NOW learning how to properly care for it.

Risingsun

My DD got old enough to start questioning why I told her that her hair was beautiful the way it grew out of her head, but relaxed my own hair. In her own way she was calling me a hypocrite and she was right. I needed to model love for my own hair in order to help her to love her own.

That was 66% of it. The other 34% is that I realized that I LOVE BIG HAIR. :grin:
They will question why your hair looks different from theirs. Peace

Risingsun

I was natural back in 2003. When my hair was shorter, it was easier to style. However when it became longer it became a hassle so i started texturizing. Over time I had different textures on my head. I saw my new growth coming in and it was strong and had a tight curl pattern. So I transitioned for over a year and a half and cut off the ends when my natural hair reached shoulder length. Now my hair is arm pit length. I get many compliments and questions about my hair. When I want to straighten it I just use my instyler. There are more natural hair care products out today then there were in 2003 that's for sure.
Yes, and that is because us curly heads have changed the game. Therefore companies need to keep up with you in order to keep making money. Peace

Risingsun

I had been relaxing my hair for about 20 years and got a bad touch up in January 2013 :nono: for days after I got home, I'd run my hands through or comb my hair and it was shed city. Add that to irritated scalp, I figured there had to be a better way. I was just tired. My good friend suggested I go natural as she had been and turned me onto YouTube and I started paying more attention to the natural threads on lhcf. I started transitioning in February and was weaved up most of 2013. I got amazing growth and retention. It was sooo cool seeing the hair from my childhood and NOW learning how to properly care for it.
Yes, isn't it wonderful? Peace

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Pregnancy forced me to stretch my relaxers. By baby number 3 I just decided to cut it off and let it grow back under wigs. My first bc wasnt by choice, but it came at the perfect time...I had just found out that I was expecting my daughter.

Jace032000

I guess I started back in 2009. I had a very bad perm --- and went natural by protective styling. When my hair grew out enough, I got a relaxer. BIG MISTAKE. My hair eventually broke off again and I was back to square one. Now my hair is APL...I'm not making that mistake again. I've learned to care for my hair --- and I've embraced my texture. I will never ever relax again.

Lexsmarie

I had no knowledge or desire to go natural. I went to a new hair stylist and one day in April 2009, she convinced me to go natural. The rest is history.

NaturallyATLPCH

Might I add curiosity. I really wanted to see what my natural hair looked like, what it could do, couldn't do, etc. When I was relaxed, I would frequently get kinky weaves because I liked big hair. So I figured what a plus if I could do my own hair like that.

oneastrocurlie

I got bored with my straight hair
I was tired of paying for relaxers
I was tired of not being able to scratch my scalp and it didn't even matter because I got chemical burns anyway

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I am transitioning but my reason for going natural was because I hated getting relaxers. I have been relaxed since I was six and I wanted a head full of beautiful, healthy hair.

Risingsun

I got bored with my straight hair
I was tired of paying for relaxers
I was tired of not being able to scratch my scalp and it didn't even matter because I got chemical burns anyway
Yes, we had to slap the scalp hard in order to get rid of the itch. Now, I scratch without thinking about it. lol

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I went natural because of aging, baby-fine, thin hair and lifeless, flat hair that did not look good no matter what I did with it.

Atdow71

I went natural in 1999, because relaxers never worked for me. My scalp & skin always burned no matter who did my hair. If memes were around back then I'd be on one w/ all of my broken/damaged hair.

I transitioned w/ braids and started locing my hair in '02.

OhTall1

Me and relaxers are on a break. I always knew I was going to stop for a while and eventually go back. Once I get tired of wearing crochet braids, I'll use the info from this board to start doing my own relaxers.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
After 4 years of being natural I thought I would try texlaxing again.

I loved it at first, but I had to accept that my texlaxed hair was still fragile.

So big chop#2.

No more back and forth for me.

Hairology

Despite good hair practices(moisturizing & sealing, deep conditioning, protective styling, very low use of heat, etc) my hair was getting thinner and the ends were always breaking off. I knew relaxers were the culprit; finally called it quits when I saw my scalp peeking through after doing a roller set.
I had wanted to go natural for awhile and was forced to do so.
I love the thickness of my hair now.