What Are Your Reasons for Going Natural?

CB1731

I went natural because my hair was so effed up after my 2nd pregnancy. It was dry, brittle and just ugly. I knew I needed to fix it but I was too busy taking care of my baby that I just didn't care. I covered it up with extensions. Fortunately, DH was honest and told me my hair needed some help so I went online and found this site. I just wanted to get my hair strong again so I could relax it but I saw all kinds of beautiful curls and kinks on everyone else. It made me curious if I could handle my own curls that I could not when I was younger. I became hair obsessed. It was a struggle but I vowed to never relax again.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Yes, they are calling it a trend. Let me tell you my curly hair is here to stay. lol There is something deeper about us wearing our curls high and wide or long and short. I think it sets us apart from the whole world and we have a beauty of our own that is unmatched. We have been hiding for too long. It is time to come out and show the world who we truly are and that we are not ashamed.

so true and I realize for me, it was strictly mental! For so long, it was ingrained in me that straight was better, curly or wavy was bad. I feel like seriously MJ bad right now with my natural curls. Everyone was so wrong.

melisandre

I noticed that when I left my hair in braids (with extensions) I would have a ton of new growth. Then, I'd get touch up (and trim) and I'd be right back at the sane length. I was also experiencing a lot of breakage when I wasn't in braids and my hair was extremely fragile. I was very frustrated, because I knew my hair was growing but it wasn't getting any longer. :nono: So, I went online to research "how to grow black hair." That's when I found the hair boards and learned about natural hair. It hadn't even occurred to me that "going natural" was an option before then. :lol: I started transitioning soon after that and I kept at because I was actually retaining length. Now, my hair is longer than I ever remember it being. :yep:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using LHCF

bebezazueta

My relaxed hair was beautiful! I couldn't get it past MBL for nothing though.

I decided to do a long stretch and changed to more natural products and discovered that my natural hair is not as hard to manage as I thought.

I made WL transitioning very fast. Oh and the dandruff is non existent now as well.

I'm so looking forward to rocking my coils. They are so beautiful to me!

tapioca_pudding

The first time I went natural was because I wanted to see what my hair looked like.

Then I got frustrated at the length/shrinkage and relaxed.

BC'd again, lasted longer this time. Got a BKT to help with shrinkage but lost basically all of my curl pattern. Got tired of getting the BKT's so often so I relaxed. Huge mistake; lost SO much hair, and my hair is so fine.

So I'm transitioning again for at least a year. I'm not sure how I will handle shrinkage this go round, if I'll be a straight haired natural (no BKT) or if I'll just deal with it until my hair grows. But I know for certain that my hair CANNOT handle relaxers, and that I love me some curly hair. :yep:

Risingsun

so true and I realize for me, it was strictly mental! For so long, it was ingrained in me that straight was better, curly or wavy was bad. I feel like seriously MJ bad right now with my natural curls. Everyone was so wrong.
I'm absolutely feeling your words. Peace

MystiqueBabe

Relaxed hair just doesn't work for me. My hair looked horrible and it had a strange reddish-brownish color to it. I was embarrassed on how bad it looked and the breakage was horrendous! I decided that I am never going to sport that look or deal with those issues ever again.:lol: