Did y'all know this?

nadine1977canada

[UPDATE]Did y'all know this?

:look:Ok, Im embaressed to say this. I was in the bus today and I noticed this asian couple. The guy had long hair, it was real thick. There somthing about that hair that I just could not take my eyes off that pony tail of his.. Plus he had a hat on and I couldnt see all of his head.

Anyways, that hair got me wondering what the hell was going on. That ponytail looked like Yaky Hair extensions. Plus the movement of that hair...well it kind of reminded me of relaxed hair. I was at a point where I was wondering if he had gotten his hair weaved.

Well I just about died when that man turned to his girl, kissed her on the cheek and said:" Well hon, this is my stop. I'll see you after. I will call you to let you know when I'm done getting my hair relaxed at the salon." :shocked:

I was shocked. As the bus pulled out ,I saw him walking to the salon and I realized it was the very same salon (Filipino salon)that was recommended to me and mom!!! The guy at the hair store kept telling us to get our hair straightened at that salon and they vowed they knew their thing!! Anyway, I didnt know that there were that many Filipinos (100%) Filipino who get their hair straighten. I wonder what product they use :look:
=======================================================
UPDATE
=======================================================

Okay, I went to the along today and it was not what I expected. For some reason, I thought It would be Thrown in a world of new dicoveries and I was expecting to be coming back in with a bunch of products to talk about. Well... kinda.

I arrived at the salon and was greeted very well. The saff was polite and I enquired about getting my straighten. They offered me two choices :
Option 1 Keratin treatement: They claimed that it would give my hair shine, softness and movement. The stylist explained that they would put on my hair a solution with active keratin. The process would take from 1 1/2 hour to 4 hours cause my hair was what they classify as thick. He then explained that he would apply heat on my hair by using a 450 degree flat iron. THis was supposed to trap moisture in the hair and leave it soft and shiny.

Option 2Thermal Reconditioning: THey claimed it was not the best idea on my type of hair and that it could risk damaging my hair. However, He explained that in a nutshelle the process involves washing the hair and straightening it using a series of heated styling tools. They first wash the hair, then put a protein solution, use heating styling tools. Then put another solution that will breakdown the hair natural state , rinse it out and blow dry.

Sadely, I choose none of the option above. Because For the keratin Treatment it was required that I do not exercise nor sweat for 4 days!!! :nono: Who in the world can restrain themselves from sweating for 4 days straight. Heck my head might be sweatin when Im sleeping and I wouldn't even know. The make matters worst the stylist mentioned the usage of masks :nono: that to me means there are some serious chemicals involved! So i simply thanked them and left. I felt horrible, but i did by a bottle of shampoo kerasys.

Sorry guys nothing revolutionary to report. :perplexed However, this experience gave me the idea to try and looked for other salons :rolleyes: Indian salons, I wonder if they do scalp massages or moisturising treatments...Now that Im curious to see and find. I don't even know if they got Indian salons in my area. :look: I know this is crazy but Im curious to see what is out there. My last touch up was in april and I dont plan to get a touch up until late january to febuary 08. That leaves me room to play around and test oils and moisturising treatments.

Last edited:

motherx2esq

Yep, my cousin is half Filipino and her mother is full blooded. They have gotten their hair straightened for the longest. What they use, I have no clue! lol

imstush

I know a couple of filipino's and other asians that get their hair "relaxed". Now that I am thinking they all have the Japanese straightening system.

HisBestFriend

I've heard of a lot of caucasian women with curly hair using the "Chinese" straightening techniques for their hair. Supposedly, it's very expensive. One lady I heard paid like 400 bucks. :ohwell:

bravenewgirl87

Hair straightening is very popular with non-blacks. I heard a while back that asians were really big into it. I know that my BFF, who is brazillian, gets a relaxer. relaxed= straight/shiny/healthy hair to most people... without realizing the hard work that goes into taking care of the hair

ShaniKeys

Wow, I didn't know this. The only other non-black women that I know relax their hair (with chemical products) are Arabic women. Interesting...

mona_cherie

Filipinos aren't 100% pure Asian (not saying 100% pure Asians don't straighten their hair). They often have a mix of many different ethnicities. So I guess I'm not that surprised.

tt8

You are referring to the "ASIAN PERM." It only works with hair types 1-2b. I tried it on a small piece of my hair in the back a few years ago at the Fred Segal Salon here in LA and it seemed that it wouldn't take or influence any hair with more texture like my type 4.
SO LET ME EXPLAIN WHY I DID THIS...
1. thought it was cost effective since it cost close to $200.00 per vistit to
salons in LA I wouldn't have to spend alot of $$$$ over time
2. thought it would be healthier for my hair since the treatment would last
6 months or so, so I wouldn't need any heat etc.
3. and I thought why not....

tt8

ps... Asians also perm there hair to get a kinkier texture. They have afros in Japan, sandy-blonde coils, you name it... but whether its healthy that i don't know

Eisani

This Keratin treatment sounds like the same one referred to as the Brazilian Keratin Treatment and there's a thread about it and the chemicals involved, including embalming fluid. Do a post search to find the article.