Sorry if this offends anybody (White hair dressers)

Carmen9000

So my ends are really bad, brittle and split and Im a student not in my hometown so I dont know anything about hair salons where im at. So im thinking about going to the mall and going to a white salon to let them dry cut my hair. At first I was just going to wait to go home but thinking about it I dont go to salons at home so I still wont know anybody to cut it. What do you guys think I should do?

drasgrl

I would wait. But I would go by the salon and look and see if there were any black clients or maybe that one black hairdresser. I don't trust that they would know how or want to deal with my hair type. There was a post a while ago about how this white stylist got and attitude about doing her hair and there was also lawsuits (I think Hair Cuttery) about how white salons treated black clients differently and over charged them. I wouldn't chance it.

Is there a friend in your dorm that could trim it for you or do it yourself. It's not hard.

myco

When I just need a trim, I go to the Haircuttery. I've had white stylists trim my hair with no problem. I usually wash and flat iron my hair before I go, so I'm in and out in 10-15 minutes.

Just be very clear about what you want - that goes for any salon that you patronize.

ajargon02

So my ends are really bad, brittle and split and Im a student not in my hometown so I dont know anything about hair salons where im at. So im thinking about going to the mall and going to a white salon to let them dry cut my hair. At first I was just going to wait to go home but thinking about it I dont go to salons at home so I still wont know anybody to cut it. What do you guys think I should do?

Ohhh girl, dry cut, oh no. I would let them do me just like they do them. Get that water bottle out and start sprayin me down to trim me right. If your gonna go that route, I myself would be more comfy for them to cut my hair wet just like how they do to each other :)

JLove74

shoot, we got a ton of Black stylist that don't know what the heck they are doing. But, if you're uncomfortable, don't go or if you decide to go, tell them you'd like your hair dry cut.

Tenacious

If you cut curly hair wet, there's no telling what it will look like dry/straightened. If your hair can be combed through and mostly straight while wet, a regular wet cut should be fine, but a dry cut is best to see how even things are if your hair is curly

I liked going to the "white" hair dressers. They cut my hair in a more even, better shape than black salons that like to give me a blunt cut (and blunt cuts are horrible on curly hair). Honestly, I fancy the Hispanic/Multiracial salon close-by. The lady there can do all types of hair. We need more salons like that in the world.

Suerte

Borics and Hair Cuttery get my seal of approval!

I am sorry but I do not trust another black woman to cut my hair. Seriously.

Yes that sounds jacked up but one too many bad experiences has led me to believe this.

I think that black women can typically STYLE hair better than most other races but when it comes to a good cut and color... them whites and asians have that industry on lock.

brownsugar25

Tough call...my stylist is white.....she is the Only one I will let touch my hair...PERIOD! I found out later that her children are mixed.
A good stylist is hard to find...I would ask around.

Starian

For cuts and trims, white is right. For eer' thing else, I don't trust em' with a bobby pin. :nono:

I've gone to 2 white stylists and one hispanic stylist (Aveda) and found that they are very uncomfortable dealing with African American hair and that I had to walk them through everything.

"Um...I haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks. You're going to have to actually touch my scalp to get it clean. :look:"

"That comb is too small. Use a wider one."

"You can't use that gel to set my hair. It's going to come out hard and tangled."

I've walked in many a salon and knew from the look on their faces I wasn't going to get my hair done there.

:look::perplexed:ohwell: "Can I help you?" but they really thinking "I know this Negro don't want us to touch that nappy ass head..."

Sorry for the tangent, but yeah. I'd go ahead and do it. If they mess up a dry trim regardless of their inexperience with another texture then they don't need a license.

drasgrl

:look::perplexed:ohwell: "Can I help you?" but they really thinking "I know this Negro don't want us to touch that nappy ass head..."

:lachen:I know that's right. I remember once years ago I went to a JC Penny because I think they had a relaxer sale, well the one black hair dresser wasn't there and the other Becky's pretty much told me they weren't touching my head with a 10ft pole.

Cleve_gryl

I've had both good and bad experiences with white stylists. I used to go to one when I was younger and she was excellent. When I was in college I'd go for the $10 Best Cuts trims and come out a mangled mess. My latest stylist is a white Aveda stylist and she's also great.

I'd ask if anyone is at the salon is good with textured hair. There are plenty of white girls with curly hair that patronize those white stylists.

ALWAYZL8

I went to a white chick upon recommendation from some black friends with very long hair. She is so awesome. :grin: My last stylist, a black guy, resents me for transitioning to natural. I felt abused the last time I was in his chair. Anyway, she washes, conditions, sits me under the dryer, and flat irons for $20 bucks. She gave me a serious haircut with the services included for $29. I'm in and out in one hour. She has no problem with my thick and curly hair. I will be stuck to her like glue for the rest of my transition because she gets me and understands my challenge. I wanted to cut all of the relaxed hair off, but she told me we should do a gradual transition to natural. Who knew she knew about that???!!!! She cut half of my hair off by my request, but left me with a length that was easier for me to manage on my own.

leleepop

Borics,Supercuts, and the other franchise haircutting places are trained a technique. They are usually equiped to cut str8 hair. I think you should just go with a flatiron. Someone does have a link to a Feye's self trimming instructions. Its what I use to dust or trim my ends. hth

motherx2esq

A black stylist once told me that Borics cut hair the best. Never saw a black stylist up in there. I think that the color of a stylist skin doesn't matter as much as their skills.

hairmaster

GO FOR IT, I would go in for a consultation and see if the would be comfortable working with you type of hair, I would also go in with hair clean and flat ironed straight, ask for a dry cut.

chickory_bee

I personally would rather go to a white person to cut my hair...I don't know if it's because they're so scared that they'll get molly wopped, but they do a good job!

*KP*

I've been to a white salons for a cut before and I was really pleased with the results. As long as she listens to you and you know what you want, you shouldn't have a problem.

Just don't let them blow dry your hair from wet with a round brush like I did :ohwell: (pre-lhcf) I was pleased with the results but my hair started to look really thin after a few visits.

janeemat

A white stylist does my trims. She does exactly what I ask her to do. She'll even dust my ends if needed. I don't trust black stylist to trim my hair anymore after my last disaster, not even my stylist that does my relaxer. He does wet cuts and that's a no no for me.

good2uuuu

I'm natural and I only go to white stylist(cuts, straightening), so I say give it a shot. Master Cuts is good. At least the one I went to is good. Just be sure to check out the salon first and ask if anyone can do what you want.

SparklingFlame

Borics and Hair Cuttery get my seal of approval!

I am sorry but I do not trust another black woman to cut my hair. Seriously.

Yes that sounds jacked up but one too many bad experiences has led me to believe this.

I think that black women can typically STYLE hair better than most other races but when it comes to a good cut and color... them whites and asians have that industry on lock.
I agree with the bolded. They do know what they are doing. I would trust them to trim my hair before one of our own black stylists. I know.....thats sad. :nono:

SparklingFlame

I would wait. But I would go by the salon and look and see if there were any black clients or maybe that one black hairdresser. I don't trust that they would know how or want to deal with my hair type. There was a post a while ago about how this white stylist got and attitude about doing her hair and there was also lawsuits (I think Hair Cuttery) about how white salons treated black clients differently and over charged them. I wouldn't chance it.

Is there a friend in your dorm that could trim it for you or do it yourself. It's not hard.
I must have missed that thread. How long ago was that?

tthreat08

When I was broke and in college, I went to white stylists for trims (at Supercuts). Never had a problem. I went in with my hair already clean and straight, and came out with exactly what I wanted.

lexi08

I have only had 2 black stylists that I have ever trusted to cut my hair. the others, :nono: I had a white stylist years ago that did great cuts!

InNeedofHairapy

A real stylist is going to know how to cut/do hair no matter the texture. I had a white guy cut and style my hair once and it turned out great! I was natural too, and he brought curls and ringlets out in my hair that I didn't know I had.

but then again, I let a white woman relax my hair once, and that's why I'm transitioning and mini-chopping now :ohwell: b/c she jacked my hair up

I guess it depends on the person.

lboogie2679

I went to Supercuts a few weeks ago and an Asian man did my trim. I got exactly what I asked for and he was very gently with my hair. For the first time ever I got a TRIM! It took about 15 minutes and it only cost 12.95. If I would have gone to a black stylist it would have taken 5 hours, 40.00, and I would have lost about 3 inches!

SparklingFlame

I went to Supercuts a few weeks ago and an Asian man did my trim. I got exactly what I asked for and he was very gently with my hair. For the first time ever I got a TRIM! It took about 15 minutes and it only cost 12.95. If I would have gone to a black stylist it would have taken 5 hours, 40.00, and I would have lost about 3 inches!
Unfortunately.

Finewine

Great thread!

I'll need a trim soon and I don't trust many black stylists to do it. I'll try a white salon next time, they are a lot cheaper and know the difference between dusting/trim and cutting.