Did you have to file/polish your Magic Star Hercules Sagemann?

Charla

I received my Magic Star Jumbo Rake, and I used it. I didn't get the "butter" feeling I read so many other girls talk about. I mean it detangled well, but it didn't seem as smooth gliding thru my conditioner-soaked hair as I expected after reading so many reviews. I did the 3-comb method because I also bought the contour comb and I used all sides of the combs. The final effect was good, but it really, really left me wondering about the "butter" effect, "smooth gliding" thru my strands effect that I thought I should get with the Magic Star Jumbo Rake.

So I really examined the Magic Star before and after using it, and the inside of the tines are smooth, but it's a rough smooth, if that makes sense. In other words, you can see it's been saw cut, but it wasn't polished --- yes, that's the effect I think it's missing. The inside of the tines are not polished like the rest of the comb.

Has anyone polished their Magic Star and did it improve the butter or smooth gliding effect ----- or is it all in my technique? BTW, I'm detangling with a mix of Tresemme Naturals+soybean oil+avj.

If you did polish or file it, did you use a regular fine grit nail file or something else?

Embyra

no you dont file down the inside......... its not polished like the outside perhaps you had a great comb before therefore the difference is not that big to you

mkd

I didn't polish mine. I haven't had any snags and it glides through my hair.

ThickRoot

I'm not sure what you mean by the butter smooth effect, but my combs work great and are snag free. I have a magic star jumbo rake and a contour comb. I also use the 3 comb method and it works perfect.

Oh, and I did not polish or file.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Charla

no you dont file down the inside......... its not polished like the outside perhaps you had a great comb before therefore the difference is not that big to you

Nah, this is the first high-quality comb I've bought. Everything else have been walmart/walgreens, etc combs, goody and such.

I'm not sure what you mean by the butter smooth effect, but my combs work great and are snag free. I have a magic star jumbo rake and a contour comb. I also use the 3 comb method and it works perfect.

Oh, and I did not polish or file.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Maybe I need to finger detangle first? I guess I just expected since it was soooo wide and huge that I wouldn't need to finger detangle.:perplexed

yorkpatties

I didn't do anything to my comb either, but it's still a comb, it's still gotta break through tangles. Maybe this "butter" feeling people are describing is its effect on dry, straight hair. *Kanye shrug* I love my
comb but I get what you're saying.

Charla

I didn't do anything to my comb either, but it's still a comb, it's still gotta break through tangles. Maybe this "butter" feeling people are describing is its effect on dry, straight hair. *Kanye shrug* I love my
comb but I get what you're saying.

You may be right about that. I'll need to check the reviews again.

I guess I was expecting too much, but as you said, it's still a comb!

Embyra

I believe i was the one who made the claims about it gliding through hair like butter:look::lachen:

I stand by my word:drunk::lol: i ONLY detangle on wet hair with tresemme conditioner

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Nah, this is the first high-quality comb I've bought. Everything else have been walmart/walgreens, etc combs, goody and such.

Maybe I need to finger detangle first? I guess I just expected since it was soooo wide and huge that I wouldn't need to finger detangle.:perplexed

That's why it's not gliding through your hair :lol: Yes ma'am, you should always finger detangle before you comb your hair.

Charla

That's why it's not gliding through your hair :lol: Yes ma'am, you should always finger detangle before you comb your hair.

:lol: Yeah, I guess my expectations were so high for this comb that finger detangling would be eliminated --- ok, back to finger detangling as my first step!
Thanks!

fluffyforever

It doesn't slide thru my hair like butter, but it definitely does not rip or snag on my hair. I use the 3 comb method sometimes, but my hair does well with 2 combs. Either way, I can see the difference between using these combs and ones with seams.