Did you hear?

fancypants007

Sylver2 hair is cut to bsl. I can't wait to see her pics. I frequent her fotki because I love her hair and she is so knowledgeable with her tutorials and she stated that she went to a new stylist I'm thinking to get a trim like maybe 2" and they cut off so much more. Wasn't she waist length, so if she is bra strap length now, that means they must have cut off at least 4" of her hair if not more. She said she will post pictures later, but I'm sure her hair is going to look awesome. I just don't understand these stylists, why do they have to cut off sooooo much. You go in for a trim and you walk away with a cut. I tell myself sometimes, let a professional do your hair, perm, trim, etc. But it's for reasons as such, that i do my hair myself or let a friend do it for me.

Lady Esquire

Before we start bashing the stylist, let Sylver come in and tell it. I love her hair and I'm sure it'll be banging regardless.

fancypants007

Before we start bashing the stylist, let Sylver come in and tell it. I love her hair and I'm sure it'll be banging regardless.

I agree, let's wait for Sylver2 to tell it. If you go to her fotki, i basically stated what she said, she went to a new stylist and the end result is history! I understand. We all at one time or another have experienced this same thing. It's not a matter of bashing the stylist, it's that some of them are scissor happy.

MsBoinglicious

Well she did leave a comment saying the stylist went "crazy". Which I am sure is NOT a good thing. But I am sure it will grow back and will look cute!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm sad for her lost length, but I'm sure it's going to look amazing regardless. If the stylist cut well and evenly, her ends will probably look super thick and luscious. :lick:

blkbeauty

When your hair is Sylver's length, you can cut it, shape it do whatever you want to it and it still will look good.

sylver2

hey ladies..here is the story.
i went to a new salon closer to my home. i had done a hair event with the owner and knew her thru a close mutual friend. she absolutely loved my hair and took many pics. They did a wash, set blow for that event that i was very pleased with.
She was a sweetheart and i figured i would support her by going to her salon for my touchup and trim.
i already wanted to trim only about 2-3 inches of my hair because i wasn't happy with my ends.
sooo..1st AFTER the relaxer was being applied to my hair they tried to say it would cost $120 for a touchup cause my hair takes a lot of product and its been 6 months since my last touchup. GTFOH! never in my life have i been charged that much. $65 at my usual spot in DC even when i went 1 year w/o a touchup and $45 when i go back up home to nyc. i talked with owner and we settled on $85.
so then the stylist pulls the relaxer all through my hair saying i have so much hair enough for 3 heads..rubbing it all over. i was horrified and told her don't do that please. i hurried her to get me to the sink. i made her do a couple of treatments bcus of that.
now im sat down with no mirror anywhere in site. its trim time.
i specifically showed her how much i wanted taken off. 2 inches. physically showing her. she did the front which is shorter then my back.
then she trimmed the back. i wasn't alarmed since i saw her trim the front.
she rollerset it. after it dried, they took rollers out and i left exactly like that. i don't get a blowout when i get touchups.
it was not until i got home that i saw how much she chopped off. At least 4-5 inches. im between bsl and mbl now. crazy! i wanted to cry. hell..i did cry. i feel like im starting all over. I OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULDVE KNOWN BETTER!! and im so embarassed about it....this will indeed be my last lesson learned with stylists.
im in better spirits about it now and a new year a new beginning. im going extremely hard on my reggie now. i want to be back by summer!
pics this weekend.

Last edited:

sylver2

usually i never cared about getting my hair trimmed or cut to much..but i had made it to a point where i have had the loongest length in my entire life. my hair had never been this long and i loved it!
it bothered me so bad. especially when people see me and their reactions are :eek: u cut all your hair off!! or wheres your hair!

Americka

Dayum! What in the hell is wrong with these people? Do they not know how to follow instructions? Sylver, we KNOW you will rebound from this!

Lady Esquire

I agree, let's wait for Sylver2 to tell it. If you go to her fotki, i basically stated what she said, she went to a new stylist and the end result is history! I understand. We all at one time or another have experienced this same thing. It's not a matter of bashing the stylist, it's that some of them are scissor happy.
Since I had not checked her Fotki in a while, I was trying to play devil's advocate but I stand corrected. And I should know better because that is why I stopped going to stylists. I sooooo do not want to feel this way about stylists, but stories like this just make it so difficult.

hey ladies..here is the story.
i went to a new salon closer to my home. i had done a hair event with the owner and knew her thru a close mutual friend. she absolutely loved my hair and took many pics. They did a wash, set blow for that event that i was very pleased with.
She was a sweetheart and i figured i would support her by going to her salon for my touchup and trim.
i already wanted to trim only about 2-3 inches of my hair because i wasn't happy with my ends.
sooo..1st AFTER the relaxer was being applied to my hair they tried to say it would cost $120 for a touchup cause my hair takes a lot of product and its been 6 months since my last touchup. GTFOH! never in my life have i been charged that much. $65 at my usual spot in DC even when i went 1 year w/o a touchup and $45 when i go back up home to nyc. i talked with owner and we settled on $85.
so then the stylist pulls the relaxer all through my hair saying i have so much hair enough for 3 heads..rubbing it all over. i was horrified and told her don't do that please. i hurried her to get me to the sink. i made her do a couple of treatments bcus of that.
now im sat down with no mirror anywhere in site. its trim time.
i specifically showed her how much i wanted taken off. 2 inches. physically showing her. she did the front which is shorter then my back.
then she trimmed the back. i wasn't alarmed since i saw her trim the front.
she rollerset it. after it dried, they took rollers out and i left exactly like that. i don't get a blowout when i get touchups.
it was not until i got home that i saw how much she chopped off. At least 4-5 inches. im between bsl and mbl now. crazy! i wanted to cry. hell..i did cry. i feel like im starting all over. I OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULDVE KNOWN BETTER!! and im so embarassed about it....this will indeed be my last lesson learned with stylists.
im in better spirits about it now and a new year a new beginning. im going extremely hard on my reggie now. i want to be back by summer!
pics this weekend.

So sorry to hear about this. You are so right to be pissed. I wonder when scissor-happy stylists do this, is it that they don't grasp HOW much they are chopping off? Is it a sense of power or a lack of care? Is it jealousy in the case of Sylver who's head of hair is just ridiculously beautiful?

You'll grow it back, healthier and stronger. :hug2:

Cien

Pink is my signature color
woooowww..I'm sorry that happened to you sylver! From the relaxer to the trim---well, cut!

That's messed up! I'm sure your hair will bounce back better than ever, but that's some jacked up ish right there!

Tafa01

wow I am sorry this happened to you!! You are a pro though, and you will be back where you were very quickly.
I am just a newbie in HHC, but haven't been to a stylist for years, just because I had braids on all the time. Now I am scared to go at all.

And ...to the ladies who bash all the others that have "let a stylist do that to them", maybe now you will be more understanding and realise its not their fault?

bklyncurly

You'll bounce back in no time. You're starting with a healthy head of hair, now just sit back and wait for the length to come back. :yep:

This is one of the reasons I stopped going to stylists. One stylist (in a major city) actually admitted to me that they cut hair (when they should be trimming hair) to SL because longer hair uses too much product - absolutely ridiculous! It's not like the service is free! I know this doesn't apply to all stylists. Maybe just the ones that I ran into.

Hang in there ...

DigitalRain

Sylver, did you ask her what the hell happened?? I just want to know what her explanation was after you specifically told her how much you want cut.

Chevelure618

Sylver--this is "a black woman with long hair's horror story," but we all have experienced it. Even women with shorter hair have experienced this.

There is a sickness among black women, such envy, such low self-esteem, and it runs so deep when it comes to long hair, that I guarantee...whether conscious or unconsciously...she hated your hair right into the dustpan into the garbage.

Now we can certainly justify your experience with the truth...that your ends and hair look absolutely slammin' now and that it will be back by summer for sure with perfect ends. But this experience is so utterly traumatic...with all the TLC and work and all...that it is hard to understand these stylists.

Having said all of this, I quote this stylist's own words "you have enough hair for 3 people" (that was when she decided to cut your hair...she couldn't stand it that your hair was so long).

I think we are hair twins and I've taken to heart many of your suggestions and they work for me. The products you use, I tried and they don't work for me, but your technique does. I am curious (beating back the anxiousness) to see just how long my hair will get and will rejoice when it is at its longest. My V is just about grazing BSL with my next touch up, but absolutely healthy and so thick it snaps plastic holders. (I actually like when this happens because I see how far I've come from fitting all my relaxed hair into one of those clips).

I do think of you for inspiration, and as a fellow Pantene video try-out sister.

I'm great with hair, very talented and am considering getting my license as a second side career even though I am a dentist.

if anyone here needs a dusting and just does not trust anyone, i can do it...I live in Westchester suburbs of NYC.

ceebee3

usually i never cared about getting my hair trimmed or cut to much..but i had made it to a point where i have had the loongest length in my entire life. my hair had never been this long and i loved it!
it bothered me so bad. especially when people see me and their reactions are :eek: u cut all your hair off!! or wheres your hair!

Man that sucks, but look at it like this, you were prepared for 2 inches, she cut 5 so look at it like you only lost 3.

You'll gain that back in no time.:yep:

LovelyLionessa

Thank you for sharing your story with us Sylver. Happy hair growing to you in the new year.

It's stories like these that leave me stylist phobic.

Kerryann

Im sorry for your lost hair but i would have chewed her arse out i dont know why these people dont listen when you tell them what you want

blue_flower

That's probably why I've never seen any long, healthy, thick haired clients at the salon. Either their hair is chopped off, destroyed, or they stay away. I don't trust Black hair stylists. . .especially if they have a jar of relaxer or a pair of scissors in their hands. They'll burn the life out of your scalp and then hack of your hair. They're the professionals.

Ms Lala

OH no:blush: I am so sorry to hear this Sylver. You are still one of my inspirations and I know it will grow back quickly. What in the world is wrong w/people, there is a BIG difference between 2 and 5 inches.I think she did it on purpose, I mean you even showed her what to do and watched her cut the front. YOu took all the precautions and she still cut too much. Yall have me so scared to go to a stylist.