Did you know that there is lye in Pantene conditioner???

Misshairdiva

I make soap for a living so I KNOW the words for lye. My teenage daughter pointed out the reason she refused to use the Pantene conditioner the frizzy to sleek kind, because one of the ingrediants is sodium hydroxide aka in laymans terms LYE:blush:. I have no idea WHY they had to put lye in conditioner???:nono: That is crazy!!!!!!!!!

Tiye

I tried my hand at soap making but never had the patience to make it into a regular thing so my hat's off to you. Sodium hydroxide is used in a lot of beauty products - including shampoos, conditioners, lotions, etc. It's in very small amounts and I think the purpose is as a stabilizer and thickener.

Misshairdiva

Lye in conditioner?? A stablizer?? That just sounds like some bs that the company would email someone back! lol That to me is just plain ole CRAZY!!!! I understand lye in a relaxer, but condtioner??

ilah

Giiiirrrrrrrl, I had to check my bottle of relaxed and natural conditioner.

Conclusion = Keeper

kellistarr

Hi, I'm a soapmaker, also. Well, be prepared to give up pretzels because sodium hydroxide is in those as well!

FebeeSigns

No. Sodium Hydroxide in Pantene as well as My own Lily of the desert 99% aloe vera gelly is used as a PH adjuster. It is in small trace amounts not enough to even do any harm.

lilikoi

Hi, I'm a soapmaker, also. Well, be prepared to give up pretzels because sodium hydroxide is in those as well!

And don't forget hominy, corn tortillas, and corn chips, too!

Life (and dinner!) wouldn't be the same in the southwestern US (and mexico) without lye!

WyrdWay

I know its used in soap and making bagels, so it makes since in my head.
I make body butters, and have researched making soap , since it uses the same ingredients plus lye.

sqzbly1908

Many conditioners that I have used for years have sodium hydroxide and there is not enough in there for it be detrimental to your hair or scalp...