Different Types of Protein...HELP!!

pinayprincess

Silk, wheat germ, whale sperm...
Duo Tex, Aphogee, Infusium 23, ORS Hair Mayo, Pratial Silk Worm.....

Can somebody please help me learn how to distinguish which proteins are HARSH v.medium v. LIGHT?

I really wanted to purchase Pratial Silk Worm but my hair is natural, 3b/c, curly, and I wear wash&gos/buns daily. My hair is moisturized all day with either ORS Olive, S-curl, Amla, or NTM Silk Touch Leave-In. I do CO-washes daily, but never usually rinse the conditioner out all the way. I wanted to try Pratial Silk Worm, or find a really good conditioner that I can use daily that provides me the slip I feel when pooing with CON. But I can't tell which conditioners have proteins, and which proteins I can use daily.

Actually, I didn't even know u could use proteins daily.

Can someone give me a basic key or rubric for proteins?
Also, Conditioner recommendations that are not cheapies like V05/Suave/White Rain. They just do nothing for my thick 3b/c hair.

Now I'm using CON Conditioner.

Thanks,

Ranika

sunshinebeautiful

I wish I knew the answer because I'm all confused about proteins as well (I just started a thread when I saw this one!). I've used the Aphogee Treatment, which I've read (I think) is a heavy protein. It can only be used once every 6 weeks at maximum. I don't know about the others you've listed though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

preciousjewel76

I'm still trying to get the hang of my moisture/protein balance, so I'm also interested in responses. However, it seems that people's hair react very differently to proteins. I think it's pretty standard knowledge that the Aphogee treatment (the 6 wk. one) is a "strong" protein treatment. Other than that, I can't say too much. Personally, I've used the Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor (aka the "2 minute" reconstructor), but I'm still trying to determine if it had any benefit. I did a treatment with Nexxus Emergencee 2 weeks ago, and that seems to have helped my breakage issues.

I think Sistaslick mentions the "strength" of different protein treatments in her sticky thread "Hair Breakage 101".

gymfreak336

Another tip, in general the darker or more stinky the conditioner is, the stronger protien content. Also when trying out a new protien conditioner, try leaving it in for half the time so you can gauge the strength.

CAPlush

I don't know if this helps, but it's a place to start. I usually check the ingredients list, and if the protein is 2nd or 3rd, I consider it strong. If it is 5th or lower, I consider it light.

Examples of proteins on an ingredients list included collagen, keratin, silk, wheat, etc. Of course, many treatments include more than one type of protein.

Examples of strong proteins are Aphogee, Nexxus Emergencee, Bone Marrow, and Roux Moisture Recovery (I know, it's a silly name for a strong protein treatment).

Examples of light treatments are Keraphix, Motions CPR, and ORS Replenishing Pack.