Dirt makes your hair grow, ya'know

TeeWhyAre

My cousin with beautiful natural 3B BSB/MBL hair has a 5 year old daughter w/ lovely NL/SL 4B hair.

I wz over her house this evening when her daughter had a towel around her head to fake length, she wants long hair like her mom. I asked the child if she wanted hair that long & she said yes and started flipping the towel, it wz cute. I said,you can grow it long, just tell your mom to keep it moisturized (she has very dry puffs this week & mostly rocks braids w/ cute beads.) Then my cousin starts tombout her hair and says, "I just used to not wash it. Dirt make your hair grow, you know? F'real."

Now my cousin has had this gorgeous head of hair her whole life, she won the genetic lottery where it doesn't matter what she does or doesn't do to her hair it stays long, shiny & healthy looking. She can rock the big industrial biege rubber bands on a ponytail or bun & not have to worry bout breakage or lack of length retention. She's been getting weave checked since we were kids. So obviously what she's doing/not doing w/ her hair works for her. I have to wonder tho if she actively sought to grow her hair longer & used the tips here how much longer her hair would actually be.

I respect that washing once a month is something some folks do and more power to them if it works for them but, "dirt makes your hair grow" had me :rofl: on the inside.

I just sat there w/ a wtf look on my face.

I just needed to rant, thnx for reading.

Irresistible

I think this statement came into play when we started to learn that leaving it alone, not stripping it of moisture (pre cowash days) and low mani makes/helps it grow

back then there was grease to manage it , it kept it slicked enough to manage it and since it did nothing for moisture, once water hit it , it was clear it was DRY

I really think thats where the saying 'dirt makes it grow' came from

for when the the phrase was coined , twas truth to it