Hair Snobs?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I haven't used hair grease of any kind since the 70's. My hair texture is the product of two 100% African-American parents. I was told all of that craziness about growing hands, dirt making hair grow...we even used mange(I hope that's how you spell it) mixed with Vaseline as a growing concoction--what a god-awful mess! I was e girl in the school pictures with one plait going one direction and the one on the other side of my head going another and what passed for bangs on my 6-head going straight up in the air-yes, a hot mess before anyone ever heard o such a thing. My hair never grew past my ears! In college I met a girl with SL hair who never greased her hair and my affair with Super K-Gro was OVER! I say all of that to say that I'm self-relaxed (15 years and counting), somewhere between APL and BLS. It's not the growing that's the problem, it's the keeping, ladies. Wash , condition, protect--whatever else you do is on you.

LHCF is my secret. Aside from my sister, I haven't told anyone about my hair aspirations or my obsession with hair and conditioners. I don't offer unsolicited hair advice, unless it's for my little cousin or niece. Everyone else, when they compliment my hair I thank them and keep it moving.

BlackDiamond21

My immediate reaction to the post was I would have checked :naughty:her b/c I do not take well to back handed compliments regardless of what part of my body it is about. That comment was just rude and ignorant. I want to say hopefully you schooled her on your hair and regi :look: but explaining ourselves over and over again, gets old quickly...

Barbara

Princess
I don't really talk about hair; because, I have more important things on my mind.

People normally bring it up, so I'll just give them my hair stylist's business card.

I know they won't believe me anyway.

Last edited:

ManiiSweetheart

I kind of ran into that a little bit during my last trip to my local BSS. I was looking for some hair for a sew-in and I kept being approached by women with snotty attitudes who wanted to know why I was buying hair when I have a lot of hair already (my hair was down). I felt like I had to justify my desire to wear a sew-in as a protective style and it was annoying.

Then, in the same visit, I was approached by a woman with what appeared to be damaged and dry hair and she asked me what I used on my hair. I told her that I really like the ORS products. I asked her how often she cleansed and moisturized her hair and I got the "well, you know our hair gotta stay dirty" comment... I was done. I just let her buy her Blue Magic and MBL phony pony and I kept it moving.

:nono:

Hahahahahahaha :lachen::lachen:

BEAUTYU2U

Yeah, I'm a bit of a snob. Oh well. When you know better, you do better. It wasn't until SL that my mom stopped bringing up my former comments about black people "needing grease." Now she sees that my hair can grow (healthily) without the aid of grease. My mixed friend, on the other hand, gets told that her hair is good so that's why it grows so easily... even though she's never been past SL her whole life and is now BSL. And white folks think she's lying when she tells them she didn't "do anything" to her hair to get those spiral curls. :lol: