Disappointed with the consultation I had with a beautician...drama

dreamgurl

Right now I am in transition on finding a new hair salon. So I've been scoping out salons that are close to where I live. Well, I went to a salon today which happens to be in the perfect location. Not even five minutes from my house. I walked in and was directed to a young lady who at first seemed really nice until I started questioning her about the types of products she uses on her clients. She really didn't seem to mind me asking about the different brands of relaxers she uses as I assume is a common question most potential clients would ask. Oh my, but when I asked her what type of shampoos and conditioners she used for wash and blowouts, that's when she started to get a little irritated...she told me sure enough what she used but when I let her know I wasn't familiar with the brand and asked what company manufactured it, is when she shut down and became quite rude as if I was questioning her level of expertise.

So now I have to hear in an defensive tone how many years she's been in the business and how when ladies sit in her chair she has their complete trust in her work. Well, ignoring all of the self-hype she was throwing at me, I proceed to ask a few more questions about whether or not she is scissor happy which lead to her quoting the prices of her cuts and trims (still didn't get my answer). At that time another stylist walks through the door and she tries to politely throw me off on her as if to say, she's in no way interested in doing my hair but yet tries to be complimentary of my hair color, cut and texture. Oh the nerve of some people...especially some stylists who think a potential client is not supposed to ask questions about the kinds of products they plan to use on your hair.

I've never been the type of person who would just sit quietly and let someone style my hair and I not ask what products they were using. I don't care if my hair was jacked up really bad and was in desperate need of a relaxer, if I sit in your chair expecting a relaxer but you bring out a bucket of an unknown or one I have had a negative experience with and you don't meet me with an alternative, I will be quit to say, "I'll just have a wash and set please!" Being a pj, I just know what my hair will and will not respond positively with, so if I can assist in any way by asking questions, so as to not waste your product or time and my money then I will continue to have an inquiring mind. I was in no position to question her level of expertise because I had not seen her finished work but I can tell you, her level of professionalism was questionable.

phynestone

I was just discussing this with someone. The stylist should be glad that she's getting some type of business and there was nothing you did wrong.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I don't see that you did anything wrong. I do the same thing which is the reason that I only go to the salon for touch ups and braids. Everything else I do myself.

ubavka123

That is awful. I wonder why so many stylists resist when we ask questions, as if they are guarding some ancient secret. It is sad that while trying to guard their "expertise", they put off customers who want to get the answers that they deserve. I had a similar experience my last touch-up. I like this new guy, but when I told him I wanted lye Affirm, not no-lye, he got kind of funny and was saying stuff like, "No lye? What do you mean? They all have lye in them." I was thinking un-uh, don't pull that on me. I won't have someone mixing up different relaxers on my head. So I said that I did not want sensitive scalp anything. I think he got it, because he came out with the big tub of regular and immediately started to work. But he was probably thinking that, like most clients, I knew nothing. I want to go back to him, because he is an expert with not overlapping and leaving wave in my hair like I like (and he is not a SHS). But everytime I go, I am going to be reminding him that I use regular Affirm, not sensitive scalp or anything that you have to mix in advance! I just don't have the heart to find someone else right now...I need to get the courage up to self-relax again...But that's another story.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
A lot of stylists seem to resent clients who know a lot about hair care and products. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif I can't believe she got an attitude because you asked questions. Isn't that the whole point of a consultation? /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

jaibee

That is a mess. What salon were you at? I notice that you are from Atlanta. So am I, and I have been going to Blendz in east Atlanta for about 5 months and I am very happy.

lierin

I am also in Atlanta and have finally found a good stylist after years of searching. There are so many stylists in this city and it's really hard to find one who's into hair care and not just the hottest styles. I went to a stylist here for years who overprocessed my hair horribly and then when it started thinning out suggested that I get a weave. That was my fault because I didn't ask the right questions. That's when I took control of my hair care.
You were right to ask all of those questions, it's your hair and you have the right to know what she is using. I hope you find a stylist you like soon.

MizAvalon

Stylists do things like that for a couple of reasons. One being that sometimes they really DON'T know the answers to questions, like "who is that product manufactured by?" It is amazing how clueless *many* stylists are about that kind of thing. I once asked a stylist if she knew anything about Bed Head products. At first she said she didn't know anything about them. Then she says you only use those products if you want that "messy look." /images/graemlins/huh.gif WTH? Another reason stylists act funny about giving up the info is because they like to keep their clients dependent on them. If they tell you all of the products and their functions, you can just get them yourself and use them. That's their business walking right out the door.

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
I once asked a stylist if she knew anything about Bed Head products. At first she said she didn't know anything about them. Then she says you only use those products if you want that "messy look." /images/graemlins/huh.gif WTH?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

dreamgurl

I actually liked Bed Head Moisture Mania poo and con. My present beautician used it on my hair in the past and I really liked it.

That particular stylist knew nothing about Bed Head or any other salon quality product and was probably still using Creme of Nature. Not that I have anything against Creme of Nature because I have used CON in the past but couldn't tolerate the buildup since my hair gets naturally oily and heavy after a few days of washing even with a clarifying poo. Now I use CON on my daughter's virgin hair and I likey for her.

One out of many reasons I ask questions up front is to see if these stylists are going to charge me an outrageous and ridiculous fee for using cheap products...if that is the case, then I feel I'm better off doing my own hair at home which in any case I do my own hair, I'm still using salon quality products such as Graham Webb, Wella, Aveda, Nioxin, etc. My hair just responds better with these types of products as far as poo's and con. are concerned. I know...I know...my hair is kinda funny like that. /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

Divastate

I'd be happy she showed her true colors right up front and would NOT bother to give her my business. Back when I was relaxed my final beautician pretty much got upset with me when I told her I had no clue what relaxer my previous beautician used on my hair. She told me to always ask questions and be sure I know exactly what is being put on my head at all times. Hopefully you can find someone that is open and honest and will really help you maintain the health of your hair. It really makes a difference when you have a stylist who you can trust and that is concerned about keeping their clients informed. (by the way that final beautician had my relaxed hair in the healthiest state it had ever been in my life- she really was excellent at her craft and fully explained each and everything she did to my hair)

dreamgurl

I'm glad I was able to see her for who she really was too, but the sad part about it, is that it has become really difficult to find a stylist who radiates professionalism across the board without any of the unnecessary ghetto mentality.

I like to do business with my people, but certain behavior I will not tolerate, no matter how good you might be. It's not just with stylists either, it's in other areas of business as well. I mean I know we have it difficult sometimes, but I feel we make it more difficult for ourselves in many cases by the way we view life sometimes. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but I believe before you walk in a place of business (whether it be your own or somebody else's) it is wise to leave whatever personal problems/issues you may be dealing with at the door before trying to represent your own or someone else's place of business.

I am on a strict budget but you would never know unless I told you (which I just did) but I don't have a budget mentality. Meaning if I was struggling financially, you would never know because of the way I try to take care of myself even in those resourceful times when you have to put different things together to create something beautiful. One of my mottos is: Don't Worry Be Happy! It's funny because I used to think this meant, be phony...but I look around and see so much to be truly thankful for and I keep in mind things could be worse but God is good even in the midst of a storm.

Cinnabuns

I'm glad that you asked those kinds of questions. It seems like these days you can't ask a person anything without them getting highly upset over nothing. I feel like you handled the situation very well and professional and I would have done the same. However, I do hope that you will be able to find someone you can talk to (on your level) seriously about proper hair care & products without all the hoopla /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.