Distraught hairdressers are meeting in Chicago tonight.

faithVA

ITA with the bold. How can we talk about what AA salons do and then walk up in a salon where the person doing our hair barely speaks the same language? How exactly do you convey your hair needs and goals, much less it's history if you can't communicate with your stylist??? Isn't communication one of the main complaints?

WHY don't we DEMAND the same kind of respect and courtesy from these establishments??

The only demands I have seen that work is talking with the pocket book which is what we are doing.

With reasonable stylist I have talked to them about any issues I have had. But with many stylists and salon owners they can be arrogant and disrespectful and don't mind losing your business.

So unless we do it in large numbers, I don't think they pay attention to us. They think I lost one so what another will be through the door tomorrow.

Just my opinion.

ladylibra_30

:amen: They acting like it is just naturals, the relaxed ladies have learned how to do their own relaxers, the straight haired girls are cutting their own hair. Everybody is sick of being scalped

Why I don't go to the salon
1. :axehunter: How come everybody walk out the hairstylist bald? White , African, Latin, and Asian, have to get weave after they stuff get messed up at the stylist. Might as well mess your own stuff up for free.:gorgeous:

2. :couchfire: They burning everybodies hair, my white friends went to get a style and came out with splits on every hair. Nobodies hair can take those hot blow dryers and flat irons.

3. Your ends are damaged? :mob: most of us black folk don't have nothing but ends. We don't even have a years worth of hair. How is it going to be damaged, it just came out the scalp? :perplexed

4. I am that :afro2: psycho hair you don't want to mess with, be done cut, colored, and permed their way into a :boxing::bat::210:
Ride or die :iroc::gunner7:

:lachen:@Seamonster your post tickled me to pieces! I laughed until I cried!

greenandchic

ITA with the bold. How can we talk about what AA salons do and then walk up in a salon where the person doing our hair barely speaks the same language? How exactly do you convey your hair needs and goals, much less it's history if you can't communicate with your stylist??? Isn't communication one of the main complaints?

WHY don't we DEMAND the same kind of respect and courtesy from these establishments??

That's an interesting question. I think for me in my experience, "other" people are more open to hearing me and learning about me and my hair vs. the know-it-all, I've-been-doing-this-long-before-you..., etc attitude. Even if the attitudes isn't that bold, there's still a type of resistance to learning and doing something different.

I guess if we all boycotted such shops and went the DIY route, the industry would be forced to change.

It's some kind of psychological barrier, I swear lol... I remember always feeling extra cautious and awkward about questioning my stylist, I dunno what it is. Maybe the fact that most of us came up knowing next to nothing about what goes into proper hair care, you feel obligated to let the stylist lead the way without question.

This time around I'm very matter-of-fact and open about what I want, but that's only because of the confidence and knowledge I've gained from hair boards.

BINGO! Thankfully, I'm more bold about what I want and need too.

Janet'

This story is ridiculous. My thoughts have been conveyed via previous posters. So, I'll just keep my peace.
I

Couldn't have said it better chrisanddonniesmommy but I will add that I shop for a hair stylist like I shop for a doctor...I only want positive hands in my hair and even when I didn't know terms for healthy hair practices, my mom gave me a great foundation.