Distraught hairdressers are meeting in Chicago tonight.

SUPER SWEET

SUPER SWEET
Wait a minute girl. This is my old neighbor hood. The BSS store that is in the old Horn and Hardarts building. Near Emerson's Bar. omg. lol- Real Loud.

I'm sure what it was first but it's kinda large so it coulda been H & H. You takin me back with H& H but I use to go to the one up 69th street.:lol:

greenandchic

I can't imagine it's only the natural hair revolution.

Could be the excessive prices for care.

The hours wasted while stylists bs around the salon.

The lack of professionalism whether it's dude walking in trying to sell CD's or stylists complaining about their man/momma/sister/daughter.

It could be the ishty products being used or the lack of regard for a gentle touch.

Might be the fact true skill is lacking and even simple processed are flubbed up.

Ugh, it just sounds too stupid for words. Instead of meeting to btich and moan they should take business classes and realize their work, though appreciated, is hardly irreplaceable.

Time for a reality check.

Exactly!

Aside from the piss poor hair care and styling techniques:

*I was sick and tired of going to the shop at 5:30pm and not getting out until almost 9:00 at certain times.

*"Pookie" selling Rolex:lachen: watches out of his coat pockets.

*Using the cheapest possible products on my hair.

*Dirty bathroom.

*No comfortable place to wait (besides old school chairs from the '60s)

*Breathing in your second hand smoke as you spray oil sheen over my hair.

*Not washing combs between clients.

*Cash only. Start taking cards already!

As an aside, a Korean woman roller sets my sisters natural hair and she does a kick a$$ job! :lol:

My Friend

Real talk. They're actually lucky this hasn't happened on a large scale yet.. The Dominicans have already taken a big chunk of salon money in larger cities but the extreme heat still ravages a lot women's hair over time... don't let the Koreans or somebody get over their disdain for black hair and start opening up shop. Game over.

The Asians are already doing Black hair :yep: At the nail shop you can get a shampoo, conditioner, blow dry and flat iron. So far, they are only doing relaxed hair but I'm sure natural hair will be on the menu real soon.

Tamster

this is hilarious. oh stylists. i REALLY wanna know who was there... i remmeber one time i was at a shop (to go see a natural stylist...shes actually very good.. I should post a review in the salon forum) and the owner of the shop was very old school.... she actually started *****ing in front of me how people are learning to take care of their own hair and dont need stylists anymore :lachen:

she probably headed up that dang meeting.

My Friend

lol @ the Korean grandma. There is also a BSS on 125th in Harlem where I saw a Korean girl applying weave for people at the back. There is an African hair braider next door so if she can't braid hair, those people probably go to the Africans for the cornrows and she attaches the weave. Koreans are already known as good hair cutters, if they take over black hair styling it will be over.

They are already doing it as I posted above. The difference is the labor cost.

nappystorm

A few posters alluded to fact that women are going to salons because they've learned how to do their hair themselves. I think alot of DIY'ers would be open to visiting the salon every now and then if it was a pleasant experience. There are some members here that fly to Reneice's. I get the urge to go to the salon everytime I do a rollerset but then I remember the pulling, the shade, Shaboomboom nem gossiping, etc. Remember on the Elgin Charles show when that queen complained about that lady's hair the entire time? :nono:

GraceV

I think they need to go back to the basics and revamp the curriculum the schools use. Many of these people are trained to style hair; they have very little training on how to nurture and maintain healthy hair for their clients. Unfortunately it appears that many are not self-motivated enough to learn what's changing in hair care (as opposed to hair designs and styles) and go beyond what they got in school. If they stayed with the times, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Also, they need to include some serious classes on time management and professionalism. Maybe a few psych classes too to get rid of this false sense of entitlement that you, the stylist, are doing me a favor when I come to spend my time and money in exchange for a service.

Keen

I think they need to go back to the basics and revamp the curriculum the schools use. Many of these people are trained to style hair; they have very little training on how to nurture and maintain healthy hair for their clients. Unfortunately it appears that many are not self-motivated enough to learn what's changing in hair care (as opposed to hair designs and styles) and go beyond what they got in school. If they stayed with the times, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Also, they need to include some serious classes on time management and professionalism. Maybe a few psych classes too to get rid of this false sense of entitlement that you, the stylist, are doing me a favor when I come to spend my time and money in exchange for a service.

It's not the curriculum, it's the teachers I guess. The requirements to become a license cosmetologist has little to do with styling. You actually have to learn the science of hair (at least I had to. It had so much science the high school waved a science requirement for graduation). But I can see many people just learning that to pass the exam but dismiss it as "hair care for people who don't have textured hair".

keepithealthy

A few posters alluded to fact that women are going to salons because they've learned how to do their hair themselves. I think alot of DIY'ers would be open to visiting the salon every now and then if it was a pleasant experience. There are some members here that fly to Reneice's. I get the urge to go to the salon everytime I do a rollerset but then I remember the pulling, the shade, Shaboomboom nem gossiping, etc. Remember on the Elgin Charles show when that queen complained about that lady's hair the entire time? :nono:

^^ I agree my last experience at a black salon was not nice. I actually ended up leaving because I felt like the stylist would purposefully mess up my hair (she seemed to be hating) and that's when I was relaxed. I've been straight up DIY'er since going natural. I would love to go to a salon that had healthy hair practices, was professional and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Real talk. They're actually lucky this hasn't happened on a large scale yet.. The Dominicans have already taken a big chunk of salon money in larger cities but the extreme heat still ravages a lot women's hair over time... don't let the Koreans or somebody get over their disdain for black hair and start opening up shop. Game over.

Asians are already masters at weave and wig manufacturing, they are getting amazingly good at replicating afro textured natural and relaxed hair. it's only a matter of time they start learning how to style hair that attached to folks' head. They follow the $$$$.

There is a BSS where the Korean grandma is making wig caps and now attempting press & curls way under market value. I was shocked to see people booking appts for her.:lol:

As an aside, a Korean woman roller sets my sisters natural hair and she does a kick a$$ job!:lol:

The Asians are already doing Black hair :yep: At the nail shop you can get a shampoo, conditioner, blow dry and flat iron. So far, they are only doing relaxed hair but I'm sure natural hair will be on the menu real soon.

This makes me sad as hell. :ohwell:

Can't we just get it together and improve ourselves/services so that this ish doesn't get outsourced???? My goodness.

Apparently, the outsourcing has already begun. Like PP said, they better get their act together or they'll lose all their business. I do agree, it starts with the lack of education about afro textured hair in cosmetology school. This is sad to hear, but I'm hoping many will take stock and adopt better attitude towards natural hair and healthy haircare practices in general :yep:

Carisa

Exactly!

*I was sick and tired of going to the shop at 5:30pm and not getting out until almost 9:00 at certain times.

*Dirty bathroom.

As an aside, a Korean woman roller sets my sisters natural hair and she does a kick a$$ job! :lol:

greenandchic YES to everything you mentioned....and it is definitely about time they start to take cards!

discodumpling

Perhaps now these "stylists" will be forced to learn how to LOVE accept and care for natural hair. & NOT like they did for relaxed hair...obviously that didn;t go so well cause there wouldn't be a nappy hair revolution going on...

diadall

I have never been to a salon like the ones in bold.
Exactly!

*Dirty bathroom.

BlkOnyx488

A stylist is not a Hair Growth Expert unless they took the time to learn. When I was in Cosmetology school, I was taught how to cut, style, relax, color, helping to maintain healthy hair was not a requirement to get a license. Further more they don't teach you anything about black hair, because it is not on the state board exam to have to know. So everything a stylist knows about black hair, he/she either learned from family growing up. Or took the time to educate themselves. That's why it's hard to find a stylist who can work with natural hair.

Your Cheeziness

A stylist is not a Hair Growth Expert unless they took the time to learn. When I was in Cosmetology school, I was taught how to cut, style, relax, color, helping to maintain healthy hair was not a requirement to get a license. Further more they don't teach you anything about black hair, because it is not on the state board exam to have to know. So everything a stylist knows about black hair, he/she either learned from family growing up. Or took the time to educate themselves. That's why it's hard to find a stylist who can work with natural hair.

Yes! I've always understood a hair stylist to be just that - someone who is only concerned with styling your hair. Unfortunately for them, a lot of women are starting to see the years of neglect their hair suffered because they never knew/had anyone take the health of their hair into consideration. And I think this is the reason it's gotten to this point.

There

Your Cheeziness

Yes! I've always understood a hair stylist to be just that - someone who is only concerned with styling your hair. Unfortunately for them, a lot of women are starting to see the years of neglect their hair suffered because they never knew/had anyone take the health of their hair into consideration. And I think this is the reason it's gotten to this point.

There are some who are concerned with the health of their clients hair, but the ones who are suffering probably aren't. And of course, prices are always a factor.

beana

It seems like many women have an issue with the lack of customer service, cleanliness and punctuality of some AA salons. This is the first time I'm reading about Korean salons doing "black" hair, and I'm a bit confused. I think sometimes black people can be too hard on their own; how do you know if someone is gossiping, doing the bait and switch with products, and doing everything you hate about black salons if you don't even understand their language?

I don't think paying customers should accept poor customer service from ANYONE, but I hate how other people are allowed to treat us just as bad, if not worse, and we are far more tolerant of it. The Koreans in my neighborhood are rude as hell and treat their customers like animals. They employ Africans as security and yell at them to follow people around their stores and everything.... Sometimes theyll smile, but its always when im at the point of purchase. I don't shop at those establishments anymore and make an effort to only give business to places where I feel respected consistenly.

Sent from my PC36100

PJaye

They've already cornered the Black BSS and nail/foot care markets, and have already made a dent in the "Soul Food Restaurant" arena; therefore, it would not be too much of a stretch for them to venture into the sphere of Black hair salons, too.

faithVA

It seems like many women have an issue with the lack of customer service, cleanliness and punctuality of some AA salons. This is the first time I'm reading about Korean salons doing "black" hair, and I'm a bit confused. I think sometimes black people can be too hard on their own; how do you know if someone is gossiping, doing the bait and switch with products, and doing everything you hate about black salons if you don't even understand their language?

I don't think paying customers should accept poor customer service from ANYONE, but I hate how other people are allowed to treat us just as bad, if not worse, and we are far more tolerant of it. The Koreans in my neighborhood are rude as hell and treat their customers like animals. They employ Africans as security and yell at them to follow people around their stores and everything.... Sometimes theyll smile, but its always when im at the point of purchase. I don't shop at those establishments anymore and make an effort to only give business to places where I feel respected consistenly.

Sent from my PC36100

I think sometimes we can be too hard on each other. But I don't think regarding black salons we are hard enough and that is because until recently we didn't have a lot of options. There is poor customer service in every industry among every people. It is the percentage of poor customer service in the black salons that is an issue.

I am not going to be angry with the Koreans because my own people won't provide for me and they are willing to fill that whole. Business is business. And I have been having this same poor experience over 30 years across multiple states. So if as a group black stylists drop the ball, it doesn't make sense to me to be mad at another group for picking it up and running with it.

However, my experience with Koreans has been favorable so I have been fortunate. I don't think other groups treat me as bad as often. That's just my experience. But I know we all live in different places and have different experience3s.

yorkpatties

I have never been to a salon like the ones in bold.

All of that sounds like the African braiding salons in NYC, the only place I would go when I was natural in the past. :lachen:
But none of the actual salons I've been to have had those problems either. Just the long waiting game for lackluster hair. What's the point?

yorkpatties

They've already cornered the Black BSS and nail/foot care markets, and have already made a dent in the "Soul Food Restaurant" arena; therefore, it would not be too much of a stretch for them to venture into the sphere of Black hair salons, too.

Did you say there is Korean Soul Food? Excuse me? Well we need to get to cooking some southern style Kim Chee and get in the game! :lol:

Wow...if we don't get to work as a people we will be just like those "Americans" who complain about other groups taking all the jobs. That's not a good look. These stylists need to sit down with chicoro, curly nikki and kimmaytube and learn a few things! :yep:

Prudent1

Did you say there is Korean Soul Food? Excuse me? Well we need to get to cooking some southern style Kim Chee and get in the game! :lol:

Wow...if we don't get to work as a people we will be just like those "Americans" who complain about other groups taking all the jobs. That's not a good look. These stylists need to sit down with chicoro, curly nikki and kimmaytube and learn a few things! :yep:
Because one thanks was not enough. Really, this is basic economics here:look:. Capitalism at it's best. I know a lot of ppl here don't believe in capitalism but it works. This is but a microcosm of the way the vast amount of Americans view everything (parenting, finances, relationships, spirituality, etc) . Instead of learning to re-invent/ refurbish ourselves and adjust to changing times, we choose to go the way of the dodo bird and wait on someone/ anyone to come 'fix' things for us. All the while complaining of how unfair life is. Wish I could be there to speak to them:rolleyes:. #survivalofthefittest

greenandchic

Asians are already masters at weave and wig manufacturing, they are getting amazingly good at replicating afro textured natural and relaxed hair. it's only a matter of time they start learning how to style hair that attached to folks' head. They follow the $$$$.

Apparently, the outsourcing has already begun. Like PP said, they better get their act together or they'll lose all their business. I do agree, it starts with the lack of education about afro textured hair in cosmetology school. This is sad to hear, but I'm hoping many will take stock and adopt better attitude towards natural hair and healthy haircare practices in general :yep:

In terms of my sister's hair, the woman who does it is very patient and asks questions along the way to make sure she is doing it the way she wants. She doesn't rush ahead or second guess. In a way, my sis is teaching HER (the Korean woman) how to do natural hair. She only charges $20 to boot (SF Bay Area) - I think because she feel she's still learning.

likewtr4chklit

Sent from my PC36100

ITA with the bold. How can we talk about what AA salons do and then walk up in a salon where the person doing our hair barely speaks the same language? How exactly do you convey your hair needs and goals, much less it's history if you can't communicate with your stylist??? Isn't communication one of the main complaints?

WHY don't we DEMAND the same kind of respect and courtesy from these establishments??

Raspberry

Sent from my PC36100

beana
I totally hear you on this, thing is when I talk to some black women about their loyalty to Asian owned BSS's, they often cite low prices as the main reason they go there. I know not all Asian BSSs are awful but the ones where I live are as far as their respect for their clientele goes. There's a black owned wig shop here that has a good selection and great customer service but the wigs cost an average $10 more than the ones in the Asian BSS. Whenver I mention the black owned shop to people they almost always say "nuh, uh.. hers are too expensive." To me that extra $10 is negligible for supporting a local black woman but I guess everyone doesn't think that way. It surprised and disappointed me that black women (who supposedly don't take no mess) are willing to put up with a lot of demeaning nonsense to save a few pennies on hair products.. and I guess hair services too according to what this thread is saying.

Raspberry

ITA with the bold. How can we talk about what AA salons do and then walk up in a salon where the person doing our hair barely speaks the same language? How exactly do you convey your hair needs and goals, much less it's history if you can't communicate with your stylist??? Isn't communication one of the main complaints?

WHY don't we DEMAND the same kind of respect and courtesy from these establishments??

It's some kind of psychological barrier, I swear lol... I remember always feeling extra cautious and awkward about questioning my stylist, I dunno what it is. Maybe the fact that most of us came up knowing next to nothing about what goes into proper hair care, you feel obligated to let the stylist lead the way without question.

This time around I'm very matter-of-fact and open about what I want, but that's only because of the confidence and knowledge I've gained from hair boards.