Distraught hairdressers are meeting in Chicago tonight.

nicole625

You have to be invited and it's only for hairdressers. I really wanted to go and add some input but I don't know where they are meeting.

laurend, maybe you and other members in the chicago area can consider arranging a meeting that will be open to hairdressers. This way, we can enlighten them on this topic. :yep:

bride91501

As a business owner, I really do hope this group of (mostly, probably) black female entrepreneurs doesn't just use this meeting as a bytch fest....hopefully they'll see it as an opportunity to brainstorm about solutions.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that black women, whether natural or not, LOVE to spend $$ on their hair. Even me, the LHCF-flag waving, self cornrowing, DC mixologist that I am would regularly drop my hard earned $$ in a HEARTBEAT for a stylist who is as well-versed on natural hair care & styling as I now am.

Lila25

Time to go back to beauty school! Any business that does well does so because they pay attention to the customer.

HauteHippie

I hope they figure things out. However, it seems as if they haven't figured it out individually, perhaps they should include some natural sisters.

I'm not even natural anymore, but I still only go into the salon about 4 times a year and I don't think that will change. Any stylists that gave me lip about going natural will never see me again unless we're passing each other in the street because I already know they don't value my opinions and how I feel about MY hair, chemicals or not. I hate that kind of condescending attitude. I'm not a child. Naw, *****. I DO know what I want for my hair and if they don't want to do it, someone else will (including myself!). These are they same stylist who don't want to texlax, say they will and then think you'll be happy when you see your bone straight hair. Umm... no. Go home. Or just listen thoughtfully. Revolutionary.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Khaiya

Well i'm glad they see something is wrong, its a start. For too long we've sucked it up and complained under our breaths while they leave us with thin edges, bald patches and horrid burns and scabs, maybe now they'll be a little more interested in finding out what customers want rather than focusing just on making another dollar.

My last stylist was great, i loved her, problem is she was hardly ever there and just had her trainee do everything (i rarely went there twice and saw the same trainee) and i was not comfortable with that, i'm paying good money for PROFESSIONAL service, i dont mind the trainee doing rollersets, washes, blowouts and stuff but i had a problem with her doing "trims" and relaxers.

The last time i went there she (the trainee) looked at my scalp, said "this section looks a little sore" and then proceeded to slap some relaxer on it anyway! Too bad i wasn't as knowledgeable then as i am now, i had some crazy scabs in my head, hair sticking into them and all, that was it. I swore off all stylists after that.

Bnster

I agree with sunnieb stylist need to learn good hair practices. End of the salon visit, the person wants not just to leave with a great style but with healthy hair on their head. Teach their clients how to take care of their hair and maybe they will come back to be pampered.

There is an industry for natural hair salons they just need to adapt and tap into it.
I think the new wave of stylists will be coming out from hair boards like this one, where we preach healthy hair practices and many styles are shared for relaxed and natural.

I hope they stop bickering and wake up and smell the coffee, if not some other race will come on board and take the black people money once they learn to take care of our hair.

Lila25

^^ you got that right! The Dominicans started taking the money a few years back and African American stylists were complaining about that. Many of their prices were cheaper and I heard they got people in and out a little faster. My sister in law first told me about the Dominican salons when she lived in NY. If AA stylists don't get with the program, your right, they are at risk of loosing out to other races.

Raspberry

I hope they stop bickering and wake up and smell the coffee, if not some other race will come on board and take the black people money once they learn to take care of our hair.

Real talk. They're actually lucky this hasn't happened on a large scale yet.. The Dominicans have already taken a big chunk of salon money in larger cities but the extreme heat still ravages a lot women's hair over time... don't let the Koreans or somebody get over their disdain for black hair and start opening up shop. Game over.

Bnster

^^ you got that right! The Dominicans started taking the money a few years back and African American stylists were complaining about that. Many of their prices were cheaper and I heard they got people in and out a little faster. My sister in law first told me about the Dominican salons when she lived in NY. If AA stylists don't get with the program, your right, they are at risk of loosing out to other races.

Real talk. They're actually lucky this hasn't happened on a large scale yet.. The Dominicans have already taken a big chunk of salon money in larger cities but the extreme heat still ravages a lot women's hair over time... don't let the Koreans or somebody get over their disdain for black hair and start opening up shop. Game over.

Here, here to Lila25 and Raspberry and that is something I really do not wish to see happen. I prefer that the business stays with the black community, but those providing the services will wake up. Also not just the hair dressers but also all the black women out there to learn to take care of their hair.

Like white salons, start carry products hard to get ones - moisturizing, protein, shampoos, conditioners, serums, ceramides, heat protectant for their customer to buy. Another potential miss of getting more money out of their customers.

ellegantelle

I think during these hard economic times it's not affordable for women to go to the salon every week or every other week and pay $40.00 + for something as simple as a wash and curl. Also, there is competition out there now with Dominican Salons and Hair schools. On top of that, the internet is allowing women to become more educated on hair care and styling techniques. If I can google or go on youtube and learn how to properly flat iron my hair, why would I continue to pay for overcharged services? It's nice to be treated every once in a while, but after doing my hair for years...it's hard for me to go to the hair dressers because I have the mentality: "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself". I start giving them the side eye if they even think about running a rat tail comb through my freshly washed and tangled hair. Then I start thinking...how many times are they going to run that flat iron through my hair?!?

Of course that leads me to questioning whether or not they give a **** about my hair being healthy or not...hence, why I do my hair my durn self.

I'm not gonna lie...I always thought a lot of these salons (NOT ALL) had a business scheme, which kept the money rolling in. Gradually ruining the health of their client's hair in order to lead them to rely on them for their services. Some women truly believe that they NEED their hair dresser. Psh! I wish I would...

Laaaaadiesssss...don't even get me started in this thread lol. :lachen:

Lila25

Bnster,

I concur, I will always try and support my people, even if I have to buy online, and Rasberry is so right..all that heat and pulling with those brushes cannot be good for our hair..I haven't been to a salon in years. After a stylist was raking a relaxer through my shoulder length hair, and my hair started falling out..I cut off all my hair in a week..why pay someone to destroy my hair...sistas are waking up and getting back to basics and we are teaching and sharing with each other tips on caring for our own hair, so at some point the salons are going to have to listen to their customers or risk loosing them.

I wish I wasn't so terrified of going to the salon.. I just ordered some henna and indigo and this will be the first time using it. Salons can still make a lot of money with natural hair..washing, deep con dish, trims, dusting, coloring, roller-sets,flat ironing..I would let them deal with doing my henna treatment as messy as it can be! Naw..not ready yet! :hair:

Chromia

When I was relaxed I started going to a Dominican salon after being fed up with the service at AA salons.

Any stylists who are losing clients should learn how to do natural and transitioning hair. And they should focus on customer service. Stylists have to give people what they want - respect clients and respect their time. The ones who don't will go the way of Borders and Circuit City.

SUPER SWEET

It has happen in my hometown. And if you know my hometown,you may know where this is 60th Market st under the EL.. There is a BSS where the Korean grandma is making wig caps and now attempting press & curls way under market value. I was shocked to see people booking appts for her.:lol:

Carisa

I don't think they are only losing clients because women are going natural. Many are losing clients due to their inability to be professional. They are talking on the phone with clients in the chair, having inappropriate conversations, eating, smoking ect. I don't usually go to beauticians because I cant trust most and listening to them speak I don't agree with many of their mentalities on hair and its treatment. I'm relaxed and I just rather do it myself than risk having a setback and starting over.
Also many stylist need to increase their skill set. I've gone to a couple of stylist who don't do or aren't good at coloring, braiding, hair cutting and so forth. Not only do they need to learn how to do natural hair but they could use a refresher course on how to do other styles as well. I refuse to spend money for sub-par hairstyling skills.
Another problem that I hear many people complain about is their stylist inability to listen. If I tell you to cut off 1 inch, that does not mean cut off 4, or if I tell you I want a certain style that does not mean do what you want to do anyway!

Lila25

I'm sitting here rolling at the thought of Korean Grandma doing a press and curl..prolly got a restaurant inside the beauty shop using the same stove she fixing that Korean BBQ on..come out smelling like hot comb and BBQ! :yep:
Ok, I'll stop!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
There's a whole lot of money to be made in the business right now if you market yourself as a "hair growing, healthy hair guru." I'm sure Renience or others like her ain't suffering too much.

I have nothing but love for black women trying to make it as stylists-I hope they find viable solutions.

Forever in Bloom

I've only had one good stylist in my life, but even she wasn't very professional. My hair was always healthy and beautiful, but she was always late, on the phone, took 6-8 hours to get your hair done, etc. She was very nice though. When I was preparing to go off to college, she taught me how to do my own relaxers and rollersets. When I go home and bump in to her, she always tells people that she taught me about healthy hair practices, and I admit that she did.

ETA: Since going natural I have tried a few stylists, but I've had only bad experiences. I'm a DIY girl.

This sounds like my used-to-be stylist :look:

She was the only stylist I have ever had (out of 10) that was gentle with my hair.

nappystorm

I haven't read the thread but I'm sure it has already been suggested that stylists need to learn how to care for natural hair or at least stop throwing shade at women who are natural. I can't speak for everyone but I'm tired of paying chicks to physically and verbally abuse my poor hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have a friend who is going natural and she told me about the meeting among hairdressers somewhere in Chicago tonight to discuss the loss of clients to the natural hair revolution and the economy. She said last week when she went to get her hair roller set her beautician went off. She told her she won't color her hair unless she gets a relaxer, her hair was going to break off and her hair won't look right because her hair will be nappy. My friend told her, she didn't care if it looked nappy because she wanted to wear a fro. I gave her a number to someone who would roller set her NAPPY hair. I would love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.:lachen: I shouldn't laugh, people need jobs and this natural hair thingy is messing up some people's livelihoods.

It's not the nappy hair messing up people's livelihoods, it's the unprofessional manner some stylists have.:ohwell: Also, if they can't do what the customer wants, should they get the customer's money?:rolleyes: If a stylist ever said something like that to me, they would not get my business.:nono: Rudeness is unacceptable if you are in a customer based business.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I recently sat with a friend of a friend who is a hair dresser and I asked her why heat protectant does she use on her clients and her response was, "my clients have heat trained hair because they've been coming to me for a long time. Their hair straightens easily, so I don't use heat protectant." I immediately took a mental note.

My stylist is big on lhcf and from her reviews you can tell that she definitely listens. She does relaxed and natural and her business is booming to the point where she does Sunday appts.

NYDee

lol @ the Korean grandma. There is also a BSS on 125th in Harlem where I saw a Korean girl applying weave for people at the back. There is an African hair braider next door so if she can't braid hair, those people probably go to the Africans for the cornrows and she attaches the weave. Koreans are already known as good hair cutters, if they take over black hair styling it will be over.

greight

lol @ the Korean grandma. There is also a BSS on 125th in Harlem where I saw a Korean girl applying weave for people at the back. There is an African hair braider next door so if she can't braid hair, those people probably go to the Africans for the cornrows and she attaches the weave. Koreans are already known as good hair cutters, if they take over black hair styling it will be over.

This makes me sad as hell. :ohwell:

Can't we just get it together and improve ourselves/services so that this ish doesn't get outsourced???? My goodness.

Stormy

I hope they figure things out. However, it seems as if they haven't figured it out individually, perhaps they should include some natural sisters.

These are they same stylist who don't want to texlax, say they will and then think you'll be happy when you see your bone straight hair. Umm... no. Go home. Or just listen thoughtfully. Revolutionary.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

That's exactly what happened to me. I was just trying to find a happy medium because I couldn't figure out how to deal with ssks the first time I went natural. The texlax was working just fine, but when it got to the point where I didn't trust doing it myself I went to my old stylist who USED to believe in healthy hair practices and at one time made my hair thrive! All of a sudden she turns into Dr. Jekyl and over processes my hair. I had the worst itchy scalp, my hair was thin, and just terrible. Instead of telling me what to do she just had me coming to her every week. I had to go on line and pull up old threads on this board to solve my hair problems. It worked, then I decided to go natural again and haven't been back to her since.

Now, she claimed that about only 10% of her clientele was relaxed, and she seems to know a lot about doing natural hair, but she's left a bitter taste in my mouth. She said some things too that let me know she's just all about making money too. She doesn't care about her clients. I need someone who will listen to me and all of the other things you ladies mentioned.

Stormy

Somebody should take a laptop to the meeting, log on to this site and show those crying hens these comments. :lachen:

Mandy4610

Its not natural hair that they should be worried about, its the fact that AA women are learning to do their own hair and often know more about hair than some of the stylists do.

I know its bad for their business if everyone is gonna do their own hair, but it simply means they need to step it up and give AA women a reason to go to them.