Ditching the LF wig....a story that will inspire - I hope

coyacoy

:yep::yep:
hi ladies!
.......so i just wanted to share my experience emerging from the LF wigs I've been rocking since August 2009 when i started my transition to natural hair. while i used the wigs to transition, i somehow had gotten into the habit of wearing one all day! i would switch to my "home" wig in the evening :nono:......i somewhere along the line ditched that practice, thank goodness, but the damage had been done re: i had become so reliant on the wig for any semblance of a hairstyle. i kept one on religiously m-f during business hours and during any social event outside of work.

i realized that as a result of the heavy reliance on wigs that i really had no idea how to style my newly natural head of hair. so, i gradually began testing the waters (and various styles :drunk:) earlier this year by wearing my real hair out on the weekends - but even this was generally for short periods at a time - that is until last month when I traveled out of town for 7 days for a professional conference. During this time, i decided to ditch the wig completely!

i did this for three reasons 1) i had just simply grown sick of wearing wigs; 2) i was curious as to how well my current reggie would hold up when actually wearing my hair out for an extended period of time; and 3) i wanted to see how the business community would respond but w/o having to this "test" with my regular, daily colleagues.

this brings me to my point; and why i wanted to share my experience - in hopes that it will help someone else who is on the fence or apprehensive about debuting their natural hair (that i am sure you've been nuturing:lick:). Wearing my real hair out was GLORIOUS!! :yep: so very freeing; and....i received such positive feedback from all around. from the valet guys to colleagues at the conference to strangers on the street. i know that i had built up a lot of trepidation in my mind about wearing my real hair out and as a result was self conscious initially. all of that was silly in hindsight, but i had been in wigs so long that i didn't really "know" my natural hair.

well now i do; and let me tell you, i am ditching those wigs permanently come the end of this year!! That first day back at work from the conference was so hard - i hated every single wig i tried on that morning (and i have at least a dozen) - they all looked so wiggy and fake. i was like an hour and a half late behind that mess, lol :lol:....i plan to take a couple weeks off around xmas and when i go back i will have ditched the wigs for good. hopefully this will give folks at work time to "forget" what my hair looked like before the break :grin:

Again, I just wanted to share this experience in hopes of relating to anyone else out there considering whether it's time to ditch the wig. I realized that the wigs have served their purpose for me and that it is time to move on. Try not to do as i did and become insecure about the look of your real hair because of being so accustomed to the wig. This may not apply to many, but i hope it's helpful to someone!!! If your on the fence - consider taking the plunge!! Have a blessed day! :yep:

Updated: to add pics - first is when i was relaxed and just starting the tranisiton (wore my first wig that month)- second pic is when i was all natural, but realized the extent of my thinning hair....the 3rd and 4th pics with my "staple" wigs....5th pic from this month! - no real style per se - just blow dried and i totally rocked it like that :grin:

Attachments

• withoutthewig-startoftransition.jpg
    withoutthewig-startoftransition.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 253
  • HairJan232011[1].jpg
    HairJan232011[1].jpg
    576 KB · Views: 263
  • withthewig.jpg
    withthewig.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 277
  • withthewig[2].jpg
    withthewig[2].jpg
    515 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Radianthealth

I looked through your album, You have a great head of natural hair on you!

I wore a fall for a long time but I gave it up about 6 months ago. I think my natural hair looks a lot better anyway. It really is easy to care for and it fits me a lot better than the fall did.

naturalmanenyc

I saw your album! Gorgeous hair!!

I think a lot of women rely on wigs, weaves, braids and such during a transition to natural hair. The problem that I noticed, as you also pointed out, is that you end up with a head full of natural hair and you have no idea what to do with it. One friend relied on braids before her big chop. She ended up relaxing her hair natural and later cutting it a second time since it got so long and she had no idea how to style it.

I gave her tons of hair advice, as did another natural friend, but she did not listen. I always recommend that anyone transitioning wear their own hair at night and on weekends so they do not end up with hair that they have no idea how to manage. I wore wigs to work during my transition but I also did my own hair at least once per week and I wore my own hair when at home (I work from home more often than the office).

I'm not sure if it's just about the length of the hair or the idea of stepping out with a full head of curls when everyone else has straight hair. Either way, it is a mental transition.

Congrats!!

Last edited:

coyacoy

I saw your album! Gorgeous hair!!

I think a lot of women rely on wigs, weaves, braids and such during a transition to natural hair. The problem that I noticed, as you also pointed out, is that you end up with a head full of natural hair and you have no idea what to do with it. One friend relied on braids before her big chop. She ended up relaxing her hair natural and later cutting it a second time since it got so long and she had no idea how to style it.

I gave her tons of hair advice, as did another natural friend, but she did not listen. I always recommend that anyone transitioning wear their own hair at night and on weekends so they do not end up with hair that they have no idea how to manage. I wore wigs to work during my transition but I also did my own hair at least once per week and I wore my own hair when at home (I work from home more often than the office).

I'm not sure if it's just about the length of the hair or the idea of stepping out with a full head of curls when everyone else has straight hair. Either way, it is a mental transition.

Congrats!!
thanks, @naturalmanenyc! that is an excellent rule of thumb - to work with your hair on a regular basis along the way so that you can get to know it. evenings, weekends, just as long as it is a part of the reggie! otherwise, i can definitely see getting discouraged. in the beginning, i didn't have a clue how to style it! i mean, i watched videos, but as we all know - what works for some, may not work for you, so it really is about trial and error. i tell you, some days I was so happy that i was just running to the store or something in the begninning, because often (until i got the hang of things) i was a HAM with my natural tresses, lol!!

coyacoy

I looked through your album, You have a great head of natural hair on you!

I wore a fall for a long time but I gave it up about 6 months ago. I think my natural hair looks a lot better anyway. It really is easy to care for and it fits me a lot better than the fall did.
hi Radianthealth! i bet your natural hair does look better! :) and i agree wholeheartedly re: time to style and ease. it takes me just as long to untwist and finger style as it did to put on, pin down and tame a LF, lol!

allmundjoi

coyacoy, is the link to your album in your siggy? Can you post it for those of us on our phone?

Eta: I guess I am lazy, I could always go to my browser. Lol.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
you go girl! that is awesome.....i am happy for you in your newfound freedom.

i love how you debuted your hair with strangers at the conference. that was a great idea! :)

LadyPaniolo

thanks for this post coyacoy. I, too, have struggled with mental transitioning. Since I am a hardcore protective styler, I did become reliant on wigs too. I have periodically gone through times when I wanted to ditch the wig but then I didn't really know how to style my hair AND the manipulation is too damaging.

Right now I'm in round 9 :lol: of mental transitioning. I'm at waist length now... but will I make it to classic without the wig? I'm on the fence.

Renewed1

I totally relate coyacoy I was dependent on LF wigs (let's not even talk about the money I spent). But the thing is more people are accepting of our natural hair in a professional setting and in my experience everyday life.

Go on youtube and have fun finding various styles. My favorite youtuber at the moment is this person, she has a couple different styles for twistout hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7e1NyJl18&feature=feedu

coyacoy

hi LadyPaniolo.....that is the one thing that does concern me a bit in the back of my mind - will i be able to reach my goal length w/o the wigs!? i will have to get a few PS styles under my belt; i figure since right now all i've really got down is twist outs and blow outs. i am hoping that as long as i take good care of my hair via conditioning, handling, etc. all will be fine :).....what do you ladies think?

LadyPaniolo

Personally, I really doubt that I can make it to classic if I'm manipulating my hair even once per week. Maybe if I had locs, but not with combing and stuff. What is your goal length, coyacoy?

I am LOVING my big ole Lion King braidouts though :drool: if I may toot my own horn for a second :lol: but even doing that is kinda rough on my ends. Maybe if I double down on the protein?

Either way, reading the KBSS boycott thread, and packing up all of my wigs, has made me really feel conflicted about all the fake hair I've bought these past few years :nono:

coyacoy

I totally relate @coyacoy I was dependent on LF wigs (let's not even talk about the money I spent). But the thing is more people are accepting of our natural hair in a professional setting and in my experience everyday life.

Go on youtube and have fun finding various styles. My favorite youtuber at the moment is this person, she has a couple different styles for twistout hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7e1NyJl18&feature=feedu
hi @MarriageMaterial......i agree 100% re: professional settings...while i am sure there are many true stories of challenges and lack of acceptance, my experience so far has been positive. plus, at this point my confidence is on solid ground with my natural tresses so i would view lack of acceptance as a "your problem" situation - essentially something (to use my girl oprah's phrase) I do not accept ;-)

And thank you for the link!!:yep:

Carrie A

Ok I need to go to bed but yes to the above. Different things work for different people. I didn't use wigs or weaves and I'm still trying to find the best regimen for my hair but I rarely use heat and wear a lot of buns and some braid outs. My hair isn't perfect but it's longer than it's ever been. There are many LHCF ladies who have grown without added hair.

Kn0ttyByNatur3

Congrats on your journey. Wearing your natural hair out freely is such an awesome feeling. Your hair is so much fuller now. :)

coyacoy

Personally, I really doubt that I can make it to classic if I'm manipulating my hair even once per week. Maybe if I had locs, but not with combing and stuff. What is your goal length, coyacoy?

I am LOVING my big ole Lion King braidouts though :drool: if I may toot my own horn for a second :lol: but even doing that is kinda rough on my ends. Maybe if I double down on the protein?

Either way, reading the KBSS boycott thread, and packing up all of my wigs, has made me really feel conflicted about all the fake hair I've bought these past few years :nono:
LadyPaniolo - my goal length is WL - an even WL, lol! rock on wit yo lion king braidout! i *heart* those !! :)