Would you wear a wig for a year?

Belle Du Jour

There was a lady that I used to work with who always wore these headband wigs. You know those wigs that have a headband attached to the front to make it look more natural. Being that I'm on a hair board :p I knew it was a wig, but maybe no one else really knew. Anyhoo, after not seeing her for months, I saw her REAL hair, and it was gorgeous! It was shiny, and natural and she was wearing an awesome twist out.

So now I'm thinking about wearing wigs for 365 days (just about). I wouldn't do the headband wigs, but there are some nice, natural looking wigs out there. My sister wears wigs everyday (people think it's her hair) and her own natural hair is growing out nicely (especially since I put her on a routine). Does this sound like a good plan?

tthreat08

You could totally do it. I would be concerned about your edges becoming thin though from the continuous friction.

Phoenix

I would do it, but it would be hard. I've been wearing braids for over a year and it's driving me crazy...but the growth is worth it.

nissi

I did it and I got great results! Transitioned right to bra strap with minimal hair loss. I agree that your edges must be protected. Wear a wig cap or a spandex cap for that. HTH!

Super_Hero_Girl

Would I wear a wig for a year? No, I enjoy wearing my natural hair out and I would miss it too much. Plus, I'm not a wig/weave person, so I'm probably bias.

But would it work for you? It's possible. Someone had a thread recently about wearing a wig continuously everyday and she reached bra strap quickly. I think it had a lot to do with no manipulation. Sorry, I don't remember her name. She was a natural.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

TrustMeLove

No, I so couldn't. I get bored with hair styles easily.

Right now I want some long hair, so I am thinking about putting in braids, but than I would miss my lil napps too much..

But, I think wearing a wig could work, if someone took really good care of their hair underneath.

CaribbeanQueen

I have done it and with great success.

When I first moved from Canada to the UK, i was very sceptical about going to a new hairdresser and having my hair done. My hair was in a really short relaxed cut and there wasnt much I could do with it during the growing out stages. So i wore wigs, not the same one everday mind you, but I did wear wigs all the time for over a year. I recently relaxed my hair and everyone was like :eek: at the growth :)

thatscuteright

If I could find some really cute styles, I would try it.
I recently cut my natural hair, and I regret it so:(
I know that braiding your hair, and wearing a wig/weave is a GREAT way to grow your hair out.

Belle Du Jour

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I think I would get bored, but the beauty of a wig is you can change it up. And someone mentioned braids. I like braids, but they damage my edges and I lose hair when I take them out. With wigs, you can take it off at night and wash weekly, etc. We'll see!

Guapa1

Is there a Jamaican hairdressers near you that can make you a stocking cap wig? That way you can have a style that is cut to your face.

ToyaP

I'm actually tryin this out right now!

I'm hoping for maximum growth so i'm keeping my hair braided and wearing a wig for six months. I'v noticed it pulls my edges a lot because I am wearing on of the headband wigs so I may start using the stocking cap as suggested in another post.

Leslie_C

Yes I would and Im strongly considering it as well! :) I would alternate between lace front wigs, ponytails, falls, and sew ins....that would cut down on the boredom bc u can constantly change it up. Im thinking of growing out my relaxer, and I would just blowdry/flat iron my hair for a ponytail or the front part to leave out for a fall.

I know this would work bc I wore a ponytail for a year and my hair grew from barely enough to grab onto to shoulder length. It was relaxed then. When I started wearing it out again I had several setbacks and now Im left thinking I should do it all over again, except this time transition. I think my hair may just not be meant for relaxers.

curlfriend

I'm a natural and I'm wearing a wig to grow out my hair. I started wearing it after Thanksgiving and so far so good. First I was doing the bun challenge and that lasted for about 2 months. But I got tired of wearing a bun everyday. I was going to get a lace front but I thought I should try out a regular wig before I invested big money on that. After going to several beauty supply stores I found a super thin wig that I love. And I plan on wearing it until like April/May.

CurliDiva

I wore an Instant Weave, which is bascially a lightwieght wig with a longer comb attachements, for 3 months this Fall.

++++The great thing is that I could take it off and get to my hair for massages, shampoos and deep conditioning treatments unlike with a sew-in.

---The minus, was that it is a wig, and it just felt more fake and less secure than a regular sew-in weave.

:eek: It actually shifted once when a friend hugged me! And I did have concerns about how to explain it to a man.

tenderheaded

This is very doable. When a hairdresser last year permed my color 2 weeks afterwards, my hair went from 2-3 in. past shoulder to less than 1/2 inch last year. This was pre-LHCF so I used Blue Magic and perm repair on my braided hair and washed every 2 weeks. I currently have 2 wigs that are part of my protective styling, along with my french twist and a couple of other creative updos:grin:

chajen32

I did this while I was transitioning. I did it for three reasons. 1) I could not find a good hairdresser, so I decided to get a nice wig. 2) Because I have never been good at styling my hair, I thought this was a great alternative. 3) I wanted to have a good protective style.It worked great for me!

chellyboo

Yup and I did for a little over a year. One thing I did do was buy 2 of the same one if I really liked it. I would rotate them so the wig/style didn't look old too soon.

Belle Du Jour

I may go wig shopping when I get to DC this weekend. . .I always feel funny in wigs, though. That's why I stick with a shorter wig (think Regina Grier form the Steve Harvey Show) because they look more natural. I wore one to work and folks kept on commenting on my "hair." It was mostly white people :mad: "How do you keep the style so perfectly? I wish my hair could look like that."

s_terry

I have twice and have experienced great growth! It was great in that I just washed conditioned and was able to braid with no problems. I have come out of one just August. The only drawbacks that I saw, was one now my edges around the front are finally filling in and two, one of the biggest is that it would quickly ( no more than 6-8 weeks) start to look real raggedy and I could never find one that they had more than one of the beauty supply. I was self concious though and the edges thinned even though I always wore a wig cap. I don't think mine looked all that real. I was pretty self concious about it.

Super_Hero_Girl

Super_Hero_Girl said:
Would I wear a wig for a year? No, I enjoy wearing my natural hair out and I would miss it too much. Plus, I'm not a wig/weave person, so I'm probably bias.

But would it work for you? It's possible. Someone had a thread recently about wearing a wig continuously everyday and she reached bra strap quickly. I think it had a lot to do with no manipulation. Sorry, I don't remember her name. She was a natural.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

Ok, had to quote myself. That member that I was referring to is named Laketta and here is her thread. You might find some helpful tips in there if you decide to go that route. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=72251&highlight=wig+natural