DIY SHEA BUTTER MAKERS GET IN HERE!!!

blackindia07

:hiya:I have been on a never ending journey to find a natural moisturizer to use in my 18 month old DDs hair...every time I think I find something...the ladies in the childrens hair care forum shut me down! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

So I am going to attempt to make my own shea butter. I have NO idea what Im doing though! LOL Ive watched quite a few tutorials on youtube but am looking for my girls blessing before proceeding. LOL

Because I am a bonafide PJ I have a lot of other ingredients that I was thinking about throwing in there to use them up but also wanted to run those by you guys first.

So what Im looking for is verification that these ingredients are safe for my DD and also measurements. I would like to add that I am looking to make this as creamy as possible.

These are the ingredients that Im sure are safe:

Shea butter
coconut oil
olive oil
grapeseed/sweet almond/jojoba/avocado (these are already all mixed together)
vegetable glycerin
honey
castor oil

Here are the ones that Im questioning:
lanolin oil
100% pure argan oil
DL panthenol
silk amino acid
lavender oil
rosemary oil
vitamin E

So can anyone tell me if any of the ingredients on the bottom list would be ok to add but just not for my DD? (if so Ill add it to mine) and which ones just arent a good idea.

If youve noticed I didnt add aloe to the list because I am reluctant as aloe has made my hair hard in the past. But if mixing it with all these other ingredients will keep it from making my hair crunchy I will try it.

**DISCLAIMER** Please no judgements ladies...Im just looking to make a nice moisturizer for my DD. So please dont :gotroasted: me for not knowing that any of these ingredients may be harmful to her.

TIA!

DesignerCurls

Hi!
I would just use a mixture of shea butter & coconut oil for your DD until she gets older.
For your mixture panthenol & silk protein almost works the same way so be careful with proportions. Vegetable glycerine can be drying if the humidity is low or if the air is dry. Everything else is pretty much up to your perference and the beneficial properties that you need.
HTH & HHG!

SummerSolstice

Hi!
I would just use a mixture of shea butter & coconut oil for your DD until she gets older.
For your mixture panthenol & silk protein almost works the same way so be careful with proportions. Vegetable glycerine can be drying if the humidity is low or if the air is dry. Everything else is pretty much up to your perference and the beneficial properties that you need.
HTH & HHG!

all of this. the 2nd list isn't really necessary.
if you want to make a moisturizer with water added you might need an emulsifier and when i do that i use cetyl alcohol and that works just fine.

i think if you want to add something else it could be avocado butter. I sell a diaper rash mix to to people i know and the avocado butter makes a difference.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
:hiya:I have been on a never ending journey to find a natural moisturizer to use in my 18 month old DDs hair...every time I think I find something...the ladies in the childrens hair care forum shut me down! LOL :lol::lol::lol:

So I am going to attempt to make my own shea butter. I have NO idea what Im doing though! LOL Ive watched quite a few tutorials on youtube but am looking for my girls blessing before proceeding. LOL

Because I am a bonafide PJ I have a lot of other ingredients that I was thinking about throwing in there to use them up but also wanted to run those by you guys first.

So what Im looking for is verification that these ingredients are safe for my DD and also measurements. I would like to add that I am looking to make this as creamy as possible.

These are the ingredients that Im sure are safe:

Shea butter
coconut oil
olive oil
vegetable glycerin
honey
castor oil

Here are the ones that Im questioning:
lanolin oil
100% pure argan oil
DL panthenol
silk amino acid
lavender oil
rosemary oil
vitamin E

So can anyone tell me if any of the ingredients on the bottom list would be ok to add but just not for my DD? (if so Ill add it to mine) and which ones just arent a good idea.

If youve noticed I didnt add aloe to the list because I am reluctant as aloe has made my hair hard in the past. But if mixing it with all these other ingredients will keep it from making my hair crunchy I will try it.

**DISCLAIMER** Please no judgements ladies...Im just looking to make a nice moisturizer for my DD. So please dont :gotroasted: me for not knowing that any of these ingredients may be harmful to her.

TIA!

Shea butter - I use Shea oil instead...makes a better butter
coconut oil
olive oil
vegetable glycerin
honey
castor oil
lanolin oil - not necessary because of the castor oil
100% pure argan oil
DL panthenol - not necessary for her age
silk amino acid - not necessary for her age
lavender oil - 5ml
rosemary oil - 5 ml
vitamin E

Because of the honey & glycerin, you may need to ad an emulsifier. I would leave them out just for the sake of ease, and use EmulThix to solidify the mixture into a butter. About 2tbsp per 8oz of oil mix.

SummerSolstice

Shea butter - I use Shea oil instead...makes a better butter
coconut oil
olive oil
vegetable glycerin
honey
castor oil
lanolin oil - not necessary because of the castor oil
100% pure argan oil
DL panthenol - not necessary for her age
silk amino acid - not necessary for her age
lavender oil - 5ml
rosemary oil - 5 ml
vitamin E

Because of the honey & glycerin, you may need to ad an emulsifier. I would leave them out just for the sake of ease, and use EmulThix to solidify the mixture into a butter. About 2tbsp per 8oz of oil mix.

MrsJaiDiva is emulthix like veggiethix? veggiethix was alright but the butters weren't as buttersome as I would like lol

blackindia07

all of this. the 2nd list isn't really necessary.
if you want to make a moisturizer with water added you might need an emulsifier and when i do that i use cetyl alcohol and that works just fine.

i think if you want to add something else it could be avocado butter. I sell a diaper rash mix to to people i know and the avocado butter makes a difference.

Thanks @SummerSolstice I like the sound of avocado butter. Where would I purchase that? I know some alcohols arent drying...Im assuming cetyl alcohol is one of them? and where would I purchase that?

Ive been sealing her hair with a mixture of coconut, avocado, sweet almond, grapeseed and EEVO. You wouldnt recommend I add those to it?

Lastly, if I only used the 2 butters, coconut oil and cetyl alcohol would it be creamy enough? ( I really dont like the consistency of shea butter...i would like something smoother)

Sorry for all the questions!

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
MrsJaiDiva is emulthix like veggiethix? veggiethix was alright but the butters weren't as buttersome as I would like lol

Sorry...I meant LipidThix!! Haven't tried Emulthix yet, but it's on my list. I haven't tried veggiethix yet either, but it's probably the same thing.

ETA: I use Shea oil, because I don't like the consistency of Shea butter either. The LipidThix makes it nice and smooth, although too much will make it Hard.

Last edited:

SummerSolstice

Thanks @SummerSolstice I like the sound of avocado butter. Where would I purchase that? I know some alcohols arent drying...Im assuming cetyl alcohol is one of them? and where would I purchase that?

Ive been sealing her hair with a mixture of coconut, avocado, sweet almond, grapeseed and EEVO. You wouldnt recommend I add those to it?

Lastly, if I only used the 2 butters, coconut oil and cetyl alcohol would it be creamy enough? ( I really dont like the consistency of shea butter...i would like something smoother)

Sorry

all of that sounds good. the 2nd list of additives to me just sounds unnecessary.
With cetyl alcohol you have to melt it in with the oil and then add water... i've been successful with doing that then putting the container with the mixture into an ice bath, and then using a blender on it until it becomes a crea,.
if you google shop and then all of these components you will find stores that sell them online. i don't have my list of vendors with me right now sorry abt that. but cetyl alcohol is not expensive.

Also if you make an oil/water moisturizer it would go in her hair before the butters since its a moisturizer. you would seal with the butters after that.

ETA: I found some with just 1 google search blackindia07
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Cetyl_Alcohol-Cetyl_Alcohol_4lbs.html

Tiye

I'd just use coconut or your oil mix. The other things can be a bit heavy for a baby's hair and scalp.

SummerSolstice

Sorry...I meant LipidThix!! Haven't tried Emulthix yet, but it's on my list. I haven't tried veggiethix yet either, but it's probably the same thing.

ETA: I use Shea oil, because I don't like the consistency of Shea butter either. The LipidThix makes it nice and smooth, although too much will make it Hard.

i found adding castor oil and then whipping it makes a nice cream... shea butter does act funny though lol

cutiebe2

yeah I would keep it simple. I have a whipped shaealoe mixture that I like. Honey can be used as a preservative so you can add that but really sheabutter and coconut oil is what I have used in the past and it worked fine.

frizzy

Lecithin (veggie) is a good emollient emulsifier. It replaced glycerin for me.

Lanolin can have its place, but a lot of folks have alergic reactions to it. I keep it off of my scalp just in case. Lanolin is very thick and sticky. If I use it, its after all the moisturizing is done. Its like a super sealer. The smell is not so great either, but not the worst.

How old is DD?

FearlessNik

IMO that's just too many ingredients (I'm always worried one will cancel out the other). I KISS with mine. I don't use measurements though. I use shea butter plus shea oil, AVJ, CO, and jojoba. For smells I will add an EO or FO. But I really don't think that adding EO to my shealoe will really help (because of the 'layers' of things added before).

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
blackindia07

This is one of my favorite video discussing how to preserve your homemade mixture. I use Vitamin E and Tea tree oil to preserve all my mixes. I love using Grapefruit or Sweet Honey essential oils for fragrance. HTH

Preserve all your mixes for hair & skin Micros and bacteria start to form within 2- to 4 hours of you making mix. You will see mold in 3 to 5 days of you do not add a preservative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THSkQLyDQ5Q

Listed below are Preservatives To Use For Butter mixtures
Vitamin E 400 IU-1400 IU – Ant fungus-Antibacterial Agent Few drops
Tea Tree Oil-(will retard Mold) Antifungal& Antibacterial Agent Stops fungus from forming, 1 tsp or 1/ tsp
Honey (raw) - Antibacterial agent, 1 tsp
Grape seed Extract-Multiplatform Antifungal, Anti bacteria, Antiviral, Antimicrobial
Rosemary oil- Antifungal and Antibacterial Agent cleanses plus gets rid of bacterial that may be sitting around (Qtip on scalp) 1 tsp to 5 cups
Sage oil- Antifungal & Antibacterial Agent cleanses plus gets rid of bacterial that may be sitting around 1 tsp to 5 cups
Neem Oil - Aryvedic

Here are a few Shea butter recipes from other DIY Shea Butter Mixologist

Do It Yourself: Natural Homemade Creamy and Fluffy Shea Butter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ok14CgADM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d=iM3uIxmF5S4&annotation_id=annotation_605560

Shea Butter Coconut Mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ll7...utube.com/watch?v=in1aOOcn4rI&feature=related

Making My Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Moisturizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ll7gpU7AGQ&feature=related

Shea Mango Butter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1aOOcn4rI&feature=related

MzTeaCake's wonderfully fabulous tutorial: For Hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q-ywuUMbBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXMJSpiYUs
Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, rapeseed Oil, Lavender French and Bergamont Oil,Silica,Corn

Shea Mango Butter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1aOOcn4rI&feature=related

How to make whipped shea mango butter hair cream
Shea Butter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1aOOcn4rI

Mix Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Coconut Oil, jojoba Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Castor Oil

Anakinsmomma

Lavender is great for the hair, but if you use too much it could have an estrogenic effect. So I would add at most a drop or two to the whole batch for fragrance. (I was heavy handed with it before I found out)

SummerSolstice

SummerSolstice I found a store on ebay that sells avocado butter. Should I get organic coldpressed raw avocado butter or just pure raw avocado butter?

TIA!

blackindia07 its up to you. I'm not into organic oils just because i have an acquaintance that worked in a situation where he saw the truth and i just feel like all of it is the same. i know that in theory organic should have more nutrients but the truth of the matter is, unless you're getting something like the shea butter that still has bugs in it :barf: or you're getting something that is different colors such as black castor oil vs. regular, theres really no way to tell if the company is charging you for a better product. avocado butter is one of those things that looks the same either way, so i would get the cheaper one, just my opinion.

DominicanBrazilian82

I made a shea concoction tonight that I used as a deep pre-poo conditioner (w/ heat of course).

4 oz. Shea Butter
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Glycerin
1 Tbsp EVCO
1 Tbsp JBCO
1 Tsp Jojoba Oil
1 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil Mix (GSO, Almond, Olive, Sunflower, Castor, WGO, Vitamin E - one of those BSS "oils". Brand is Megacare)
1 Tsp SAA
2 Tbsp of AVG

It had a little protein in it, but I wanted to include elements that help me with my m/p balance.

My hair feels super soft and conditioned. The consistency was more like a moisturizer; however, since I did it as a pre-poo and followed up with a lather of clarifying and a lather of moisturizing shampoo (ORS Creamy Aloe and CON Argan Oil), it made so much sense for my hair! I finished off with a rinse of AOHSR conditioner. I didn't do my usual DC... No need to :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF