Homemade Hair Shea Butters

tbaby_8

I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone have a simplified recipe for a Hair shea butter. I purchased some shea butter and I want to make my own butter for my hair, but I am on a budget and cannot purchase whole lot of ingredients. What do you all recommend? I will be going to the natural health food store and to sally's tomorrow.

The current ingredients that I have already are as follows:
Shea butter
Coconut oil
castor oil
cocoa butter (100%)
Olive oil

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

tbaby_8

I checked the recipe section and I did find the shealoe butter, which I am going to try, but I also wanted to see if anybody had other recipes that I could use.

Sui Topi

I was going to recommend the shealoe. It's nice and creamy without being too oily. I like alot of aloe in mine.

silkii_locks

Wow, the ingredients that you have already sound great.:yep: Do you really need anything else? The only thing I could suggest would maybe be a little glycerine or 100% Aloe Vera. But if it were me, I would just go with what you have already. Good Luck!

tbaby_8

Thank you. I just purchased some aloe that I forgot about. I will try mixing all of this stuff together and let you all know how it works. I may even add some wild growth oil (light) to it too. I like the way that smells.:grin:

But I am open to more suggestions too.:lachen:

coripixie

I just made a really yummy hair butter. I mixed up a bunch of stuff that i had lying around--some sesame oil, crisco, shea butter, honey, coconut oil, and the gel/liquid of one aloe leaf from my aloe plant. I had some glycerin, but i decided not to put any in because it tends to dry out my hair if it's not mixed with water.
I melted the shea butter and the crisco together and then mixed in the aloe, honey and oils. I put my mix in the freezer for about ten minutes and when it had hardened, I took it out and whipped it. It come out the texture of frosting :lick:
I didn't use any specific measurements, but I made sure not to use too much oil. The last time I tried to do something like this, I used too much oil and the texture was too runny.
On my last wash day, I used this with heat for half an hour as a pre-poo treatment and I loved it!

Hi, there. I will tell you what I use in mine but I warn you it's not a short list. These items are all pure and unaltered.
butters: shea, aloe, avocado, sweet almond, mango, hemp, cocoa
oils: olive, jojoba

The aloe and avocado is the base so the butter mix is very creamy like room temp margerine. Be careful if you add watery items because they can cause your mix to spoil if there is no perservative.

lilsparkle825

i did shea butter, EVOO and africa's best herbal oil in my first mix and i really liked it. now that i have more ingredients i think i will do shea butter, glycerin, and AV juice along with the EVOO...i am still on the fence about honey cause i dont wanna be attacked by insects but i love the glycerin/AV juice as a braid spray so why not keep using it once i go back to WNGs. i dont have coconut oil but i want it, and castor oil just seems thick to me so i save it for DCs, baggying straightened hair and edge smoothing. i just gotta find a way to make it not weigh my hair down so much...i tend to lose my bounce when i seal with shea butter. i hope i am just too heavy handed cause i love to mix and i love my butter.

bluevalentine

i just bought a tub of unrefined shea butter and was wondering what i could do to it. i have a lot of ingredients layin around that i can add to it, i didn't really think about it before....:grin:

Tamrin

unapologetic
i just bought a tub of unrefined shea butter and was wondering what i could do to it. i have a lot of ingredients layin around that i can add to it, i didn't really think about it before....:grin:

I have one that I make. I use

Shea butter
Mango butter
Avocado butter
Coconut oil
Grapeseed oil
SAA
Rosemary or Rose EO
Glycerine.

Ivonnovi

NOT FOR HAIR BUT>
I melt my sheabutter add melted coconut oil, and Olive oil. and a whole lotta brown sugar.

As the mixture is cooling, I periodically whip it to keep the oils and sugar blended.

When it's done I have a wonderful homemade sugar scrub.

I never measure but ensure that the olive oil is approx 20-30% of the mixture, this will keep it from getting too hard.

lilsparkle825

NOT FOR HAIR BUT>
I melt my sheabutter add melted coconut oil, and Olive oil. and a whole lotta brown sugar.

As the mixture is cooling, I periodically whip it to keep the oils and sugar blended.

When it's done I have a wonderful homemade sugar scrub.

I never measure but ensure that the olive oil is approx 20-30% of the mixture, this will keep it from getting too hard.
this sounds great! i use the butter for my hair and body but i never thought of making a scrub! i have noticed you have a LOT of great tips for hair and skin care...keep them coming!