Do braid outs cause breakage?

melodee

Do any of you suffer from breakage when wearing the braid out syle? My hair looks great when I do them, but it soon dries out and tangles. I am careful and I do moisturize! When I go to rewash or rebraid, I lose hair.
frown.gif
Can this be avoided? This also happens with my ponytails (the hair in the center of the tail gets tanlged and is proned to breakage? Should I just go ahead and use a hooded dryer to roller set? Please tell me I'm not alone.

Hi Melodee,
I get alot of growth when I do my braidouts but I have noticed that my hair gets very dry when I do them. To hellp this I do them over every 2 or 3 days and I make sure to put some type of moisutrizer on my hair everynight paying special attention to my ends everynight. Also when u wash try to use a detangling shampoo and/or conditioner this will help minimize the amount of hair you loose.
When u do your ponytails do you come your hair out really good and braid your ponytail up under a baggie? This should help with the lose from the ponytail. I think u loose more hair when u wear these styles becuase your hair sheds so much on a daily basis when u wear your hair in these styles u are not combing your hair so u are not loosing any hair so it all come out at once when u finnaly commb it which is usually when u wash it. Just my .02

Hi Melodee
wave.gif

I've been wearing braid / twist outs 'bout a month now, & plan to continue during the entire summer.
smile.gif

Breakage is not an issue for me
nono.gif
(thank God). Basically, I don't give my hair time to break, because I keep it very "moist" daily (sometimes twice a day, or if needed, more!!!), especially the last 3" of hair (the "ends").

I find that when my hair "dries", it does begin to tangle. This is when I'll "spritz" some water / oil to rejuvenate it.

Another thing, I don't wear the hair "out" all of the time. The first 2 days I'll let the hair hang, but the last 2 or 3 days, I'll pull the hair back into a bun (still moisturing daily this time with S-Curl).

My key for avoiding breakage during my "re-wash" is this.... I make sure that my initial wet "cornroll strans" are absolutely tangle free. This really helps to keep the strans tangle free once they've dried.

Re-braiding is tricky. I try to "re-braid" in the "original position". By doing this, I find that I'm following the same "crimping" pattern as the initial braids. Keep in mind, the more times u let the hair out, then re-braid, the greater the chance of having more tangles form. Because of this alone, I try to use the "original pattern".
smile.gif
I really hope that I made sense here
confused.gif

My hair used to be really dry when doing this style as well. But my friend told me to try some non-alcoholic texturizing gel and then put some frizz fighting serums on after. has anyone tried this? using gel?

Yeah, during my "trial & error" phase, I tried some gel (non alcoholic). It worked fine the first couple of days, but the third day, my hair felt very "icky" & "sticky". It definitely needed shampooing. See, I like to get a good 4 days out of my braid / twist outs... sometimes 5 even 6! I also like for them to have plenty of bounce... with gels, I don't accomplish this
nono.gif
. But u know, it could work for others
smile.gif

God Bless,
Peachtree

I don't use gel. Last night I mixed olive oil with my mousse before I braided it and coated my ends with a antifrizz serum and sprayed my finished braids with setting lotion and a nice amount of S curl and my hair is shiny and moist today I will proably wear this for 2 more days though it looks like this one could last longer. Try a antifrizz serum and olive oil...I would stay away form gesl because when I think of gel I think of how hard it gets when it dries...

Thanks TC
cool.gif
I keep the ends from unravelling by placing a roller on the ends, rolled up to my scalp. This also keeps the wet/oily hair/rollers from swinging in my face. As the hair dries, I lower the rollers to just the ends. If I leave the hair rolled up to my scalp, then I'll end up with a lot more shrinkage & too many unwanted curls. HTH

Back