Do I have to do a strand test b/f I color my hair?

cookie1

I going to do a color for the first time. I have the Natural Instincts and don't want to go through the strand test. Do I have to do all of it, it's too much extra. Have anyone colored w/o the strand test?

Dee-Licious

i've never done a strand test with anything and i self-relax and self-color

i also wash my relaxer out in the shower so me and safety-guidelines just aren't the best of friends :lol:

cookie1

i've never done a strand test with anything and i self-relax and self-color

i also wash my relaxer out in the shower so me and safety-guidelines just aren't the best of friends :lol:

That's what I'm talking about! I'm going to go color my hair...have any more tips? Thanks for replying so quick!:lachen:

Dee-Licious

just make sure to up your protein for first few months afterward and soooooooo cut back on heat after first coloring.

JustKiya

:look: I'd definitely do a strand test and a skin test.
I understand impatience, but is it really worth gambling your hair & skin on being unwilling to wait an extra day? Esp. the first time using a product - heck the first time coloring, period? :nono: Allergic reactions to hair dye are a bad, bad thing.

Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I hope everything goes okay. :ohwell:

poookie

DEFINITELY do a strand test!! i did one when i put henna in my hair for the first time... just take a bunch of shed hairs lying around the bathroom / on your brush or comb, and test it that way.

with that being said... i didn't strand test the first time i lifted my color with clairol luminize... and i'm still alive... but either way

do a strand test!!!! only takes a few minutes.

also... i see you're sort of new round these parts. it's VERY VERY VERY important to make sure your hair's in TIP TOP SHAPE before you color!!!! it's always depressing to see threads like these followed by one by the same poster a week or two later, saying "HELP!!! my hair is orange and shedding like crazy!!!!" :grin:

all the best. :)

Dee-Licious

:lol: might wanna listen to the folks who say do strand test

I'm kinda a live-by-the wind type with my hair.... something happen to my bout bsl (need to relax to know if I've passed it :lol: ) hair I'd be pissed so maybe you should do safety first

I've just been using Texture & Tones for a second so I know it won't do anything to *my* hair

if you have breakage now, it will get worse with color
if you have dryness now, it will get worse with color

Color is not used to correct any problems with hair, b/c it will magnify that problem. If your hair is doing well and you color and continue to nurture your hair, it will continue to do well.

scribblescrabble2

:look: I'd definitely do a strand test and a skin test.
I understand impatience, but is it really worth gambling your hair & skin on being unwilling to wait an extra day? Esp. the first time using a product - heck the first time coloring, period? :nono: Allergic reactions to hair dye are a bad, bad thing.

Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I hope everything goes okay. :ohwell:

Listen to to JustKiya, I learned this the hard way. :nono: