How do you do your strand tests?

Sunshine0801

I did a search for this, but surprisingly there wasn't much there. Maybe it's obvious to most (just not to me :spinning:).

So do most people just take about a 1/4 inch section of hair in the nape or behind their ear and relax (for example) that section?

Does anyone test shed hair? I would think this would be a safer option, since there would be no risk of the product touching the other sections of hair.

Also, how far in advance do you typically test the strand? For example, if you plan to relax tomorrow, would you test the strand today, or would you test further in advance to see how the strand holds up over time (like a couple of weeks or a month)?

*Michelle*

This is what I do: I find a section in the middle of the back of my head that is about 1/4 inch wide by an inch long, use a the end of a rattail comb and weave out some strands of hair and then have somebody cut them near the scalp. Proceed with strand test. I don't strand test when I texlax. But for color I do it the right before I color/highlight. Good luck!

Sunshine0801

This is what I do: I find a section in the middle of the back of my head that is about 1/4 inch wide by an inch long, use a the end of a rattail comb and weave out some strands of hair and then have somebody cut them near the scalp. Proceed with strand test. I don't strand test when I texlax. But for color I do it the right before I color/highlight. Good luck!

Thanks! That sounds much more fool proof to me than testing strands still attached.

ETA: Have you ever tried to do it with shed hair?