Do I smell a Challenge? Relaxed Heads: RU ever curious about ur natural texture?

chayil0427

*********THE OFFICIAL "REAL TEXTURE" CHALLENGE HAS BEGUN*********

Hey ...to all those relaxed ladies out there. I know some of you are like me and have been relaxed or texturized or had some kinda chemical on your head for all your adult life.

Even when I did have a TWA it was texturized so I've never just had my natural hair on my head...

I never remember having natural hair. My earlier hair memories where getting my hair blown out and pressed.

I'm very curious as to what's actually coming out of this scalp of mine. I was thinking about doing a "look and see" transition this year to see what's up there ...let the ng grow out for 6 to 12 months and see if I like the texture and wanna go completely natural.

Of course I'm saying this being only what like 6 weeks post relaxer...by the end of March I might be calling up my stylist begging him to work me in for a good dose of creamy crack.

Yet, I'll let you know what I decide to do. If any of you ladies wanna join me in a lil "what's my real texture" challenge maybe we could do it as a team for a few months. (First person to relax will owe me 2 liters of Nexxus PO Humectin :lol: )

Chayil

Last edited:
This sounds like a great challenge. I have to leave this one alone though, I recently been down that road and am loving my str8 hair now.

Funny you posted this because I was thinking about this earlier. A 6 month stretch though? Wow, I don't know if I can do that. I'll think about it.

baglady215 said:
Funny you posted this because I was thinking about this earlier. A 6 month stretch though? Wow, I don't know if I can do that. I'll think about it.
It's actually one of my goals to grow 3" of natural hair and then make a decision. I'm at 3/4 of an inch and I'm already eyeing the creamy crack. I don't know about no six months. I'll have to wait and see

baglady215 said:

giiiiiiiiiiiirl I dunno if I can do it either. I suppose we'd have to take a lot of tips from the transitioners support thread since it would be like a baby transition.

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
giiiiiiiiiiiirl I dunno if I can do it either. I suppose we'd have to take a lot of tips from the transitioners support thread since it would be like a baby transition.

Chayil

I would say it's worth a shot. But I'm not so sure that a bunch of new growth with relaxed hair attached will be very representative of what natural hair is like. For me anyway, all the bunchiness/shrinkage "moves" from the roots to the ends and handling transitioning hair is not like natural. Don't be scurred of your roots though, I think every woman should get to know her natural hair even if it is only a "baby transition."

I want to say more, but I'm in a hurry so I'll just say that I think every relaxed head should try this at some point. I understand that natural "ain't for everybody" but I'm SO happy that I decided to go for a year without a relaxer...mentally, emotionally, and physically it's been VERY good for me, and I feel empowered. Right now, if I relax, it's a CHOICE and if I go natural, it's a CHOICE...which is a beautiful and empowering thing for a woman who felt "boxed in" by the relaxer. I feel liberated. :love:

Fortunatley I know what my natural hair is like. It won't be a challenge to me since I already do long stretches and am on a 6 month stretch right now. Currently 21 weeks post.
Good Luck to the ladies who are doing it:)) It gets easier everytime.

Divine Inspiration said:
I want to say more, but I'm in a hurry so I'll just say that I think every relaxed head should try this at some point. I understand that natural "ain't for everybody" but I'm SO happy that I decided to go for a year without a relaxer...mentally, emotionally, and physically it's been VERY good for me, and I feel empowered. Right now, if I relax, it's a CHOICE and if I go natural, it's a CHOICE...which is a beautiful and empowering thing for a woman who felt "boxed in" by the relaxer. I feel liberated. :love:

:) This was nice to read. I think choice is what it all comes down to.

At the very least, you become a stretch expert who knows the feel and needs of your natural hair.

I'm more radical though, I think every woman should do kojak at least once in her life. :lol:

p1

Divine Inspiration said:

I agree. I'm a little over 6 months post and I'm still debating on whether or not to become natural or just turn this into a stretch, but I'm so glad I did this because I know I can take care of my hair in both states and still be happy.

Last edited:
I flip between natural and relax so I know what my natural hair looks like. I do periodic stretching sometimes - up to 8 months.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about this. I reeeaaally wanna do it, but honestly, I'm scared! I've been getting relaxers since I was a little girl. I was probably BORN with a perm! Oh man. I have to think about this one...

Ok, Chayil, I think I can commit to 5 months. I'm going away in July and I would rather have a fresh touch up when I do. Guess I better stock up on the S-Curl :ohwell: :lol:

Well, I've been growing out my nape for the past couple of years and it's natural now. It's a different texture than the other hair on my head (as most napes are) but it's all natural. :)

I am willing to try it. i am trying a 6 month stretch with no heat or anything. dear lord i dont know how i am going to do it. i am 11 weeks post and ITCHING TO RELAX. Right now my hair is coming in curly, like 3b/3c so i am interested to see it. I am game.

I'm willing to give this a try!

I was natural until college, but I stayed in a press n curl. I'm definitely curious about my natural texture, which is a big reason why I stretch so long. So far, I'm 5 months into my stretch and I'd like to go until I see at least 5 inches of new growth :look: . I will definitely give it a go...this could be fun!

I was natural for years before I relaxed, So I know what my natural hair feels like. I love my natural hair, and it's pretty thick. I just wanted a change. So good luck ladies, you should always love your natural texture. I do long stretches now, three to four months; So I have a very good idea:lol:

Oooh lawdy ... if all of y'all are gonna do it I guess I'll have to try it too LOL. Watch me be the first one to wimp out and get a perm. :lol: Guess Imma have to get some S-Curl too.

Chayil

This is something that I have been thinking about lately. I went without a relaxer for 8 months last year. I am stretching until May. In May, I'll decide if I want to contunue to stretch. With a Maxiglide, I could just keep on stretching.:scratchch So for right now, I'm in.

chayil0427 said:
Oooh lawdy ... if all of y'all are gonna do it I guess I'll have to try it too LOL. Watch me be the first one to wimp out and get a perm. :lol: Guess Imma have to get some S-Curl too.

Chayil

You better try it! It was your dang idea! :lol:

Now that I think about it, I have stretched for about 4 months when I had braids. But I still would like to do it.

OneInAMillion said:
I'm willing to give this a try!

I was natural until college, but I stayed in a press n curl. I'm definitely curious about my natural texture, which is a big reason why I stretch so long. So far, I'm 5 months into my stretch and I'd like to go until I see at least 5 inches of new growth :look: . I will definitely give it a go...this could be fun!
Me too! I was natural until college as well. I'm currently doing a 4 month stretch. I'm really contemplating whether to just make that transition to natural. My vitamins has made my hair very managable. Should I or shouldn't I? I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
baglady215 said:
You better try it! It was your dang idea! :lol:

Now that I think about it, I have stretched for about 4 months when I had braids. But I still would like to do it.

Yea I was thinking about braids. That would be a good way to cheat LOL. Maybe we should ban braids on this challenge. :look:

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
Yea I was thinking about braids. That would be a good way to cheat LOL. Maybe we should ban braids on this challenge. :look:

Chayil

Yeah, I think braids would make it easy. The point for me anyway is to learn how to deal with my natural texture on a daily basis.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am.

So far:

Chayil
Baglady215
PrettyPuff
OneInAMillion
amwcah?
tiffers?
zora?

Anybody else gonna join us?

i want in too, lol. I am 10 weeks post and my ng is so soft (thanks to MSM) and a lot easier to take care of than i thought. I was going for 4-6months anyway so count me in. YAY:D

Ok so I guess officially we'll call this the "Real Texture Challenge" six months... no relaxers. Luckily for me I'm already 1.5 months into since my last relaxer was on the 10th of jan. Everyone who is in put "Real Texture Challenge" in your siggy!

See...just as soon as I was feeling dedicated someone ran up on the forum with a phyto sale thread. :ohwell:

Well, looks like I won't be trying good old phyto for a while. I'm not even gonna order it cause one day I'd get weak and be all up under the cabinet getting it.

Chayil

Last edited:
I think this is an EXCELLENT challenge. MY BC started off as a stretch. Then I fell IN LOVE with my new growth. So, good luck getting to know your "Real Texture" ladies.

OT: And Baglady, you need to back up off my man Robin. I only share him with Paula!!!! :lol:

Yep, I'm excited too. It'll be interesting to learn what products work for my real texture and just to be able to see my real texture.:)

Chayil

I'm interested! I want to do a six-month stretch anyway and have until May to do so. I already have a good amount of ng around my edges (that lay down with scarfing).

Q: How is everyone planning to manage their new growth at say month 4, 5, or 6? Right now Co-wash works but I wonder will it always. I'm talking about folks not looking into braids or weaves.

amwcah said:
Me too! I was natural until college as well. I'm currently doing a 4 month stretch. I'm really contemplating whether to just make that transition to natural. My vitamins has made my hair very managable. Should I or shouldn't I? I'll get back to you.
Okay, count me in!!

Back