Do steam treatments NOT work for anyone?

loveisnthehouse

I do not own a steamer and have tried the home grown steam treatment and simply don't see a big difference in the condition of my hair after. I have done it three times so far. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has done the steam treatments and they haven't seen a significant difference in their hair after? Thanks in advance!

Janet'

Well, I will say that because I use steam treatments in harmony with Deep Conditioning, they work very well for me. BUT, I know that no one thing works 100% for everyone so I am sure that someone will chime in. Maybe you need to adjust your steam treatments to get a different outcome...

locabouthair

I went to a trichologist and she thought that it was great that I was using a steamer. I havent seen a difference in my hair but most people who have used theirs have seen positive results. I will say that it helps to detangle my hair so I get more slip from my DC.

PJaye

Yes!

I consistently steamed my hair every week from the beginning of July through mid-October for a minimum of 30 minutes each session. During this time, I waited for the fantastic results reported by scores of other posters to no avail. Unfortunately, the only outcome I received from regular steaming was an irritated forehead. I’ve since excised steaming from my routine given the fact that I obtain optimal results from overnight deep conditioning.

Lesson learned: no more bandwagons.

curlycrocheter

i don't own a steamer, but I use the hot towel method. I've noticed a definite increase in moisture in my hair. I try to steam once a week. However, it did take a lot of trial and error to figure out the right combination of products. One thing I have noticed is that because I use an old heating cap (it's over 15 years old, but it gets REALLY hot) it doesn't heat evenly and you can tell the difference between the steamed portions and the non-steamed portions. Just check all of your variables OP

Mrs. Verde

When I first started steaming. I didn't see any great results. Like others, I was like what's all the hype. At the time I had porosity issues with my hair. After steaming I started using Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditoner for 5 mins after steaming. Within 5-6 treatments I started noticing a huge difference in my hair. Other times that my results have not been that great are when I have used too much conditioner. Too much conditioner can prevent the moisture from getting to your hair. Disclaimer, I am using a stand up steamer.

Last edited:

BeaLady

I haven't noticed any improvement. I have a stand up steamer and it's hard for me to stay under it because it gets too hot and my scalp gets burned. My steamer only runs for 30 mins. Some people have steamers that run for an hour. I don't understand how they stay under it for an hour. Also, my hair is longer and my ends hang out of the hood and doesn't seem to benefit from the steaming.

Optimus_Prime

I've tried Charz's stand-up hair steamer and it didn't do anything for me. I won't be buying one for myself.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I had one and used it twice and it did not work for me, so I got rid of it. It also was very big and was hard to store. My bi-weekly DC treatments using caps and no heat for 1 hr work just fine for me.

Also I read somewhere that if oils (unless using oils that penetrate to the cortex) are in the conditioners that are being used, then the micro-droplets are not able to do their job.

Last edited:

Ese88

i have a standing steamer and i don't see any difference between it and my hooded dryer. i've been using it for quite some time now but i still use it coz it cost a lot

gadgetdiva

Yes!

I consistently steamed my hair every week from the beginning of July through mid-October for a minimum of 30 minutes each session. During this time, I waited for the fantastic results reported by scores of other posters to no avail. Unfortunately, the only outcome I received from regular steaming was an irritated forehead. I’ve since excised steaming from my routine given the fact that I obtain optimal results from overnight deep conditioning.

Lesson learned: no more bandwagons.

When I first started steaming. I didn't see any great results. Like others, I was like what's all the hype. At the time I had porosity issues with my hair. After steaming I stared using Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditoner for 5 mins after steaming. Within 5-6 treatments I started noticing a huge difference in my hair. Other times that my results have not been that great are when I have used too much conditioner. Too much conditioner can prevent the moisture from getting to your hair. Disclaimer, I am using a stand up steamer.

What conditioner are you ladies using to DC with?

JJamiah

I love my steamer I use MoTions CPR or ORS Replenishing Pak, OR Alter EGO, OR SSI :)

I have been using Motions CPR under for a while and love it. :) My hair can tell when I am not using it.

I am almost MBL and I just comb my hair foward and flip it back so it can also get steamed.

Solitude

I haven't noticed any improvement. I have a stand up steamer and it's hard for me to stay under it because it gets too hot and my scalp gets burned. My steamer only runs for 30 mins. Some people have steamers that run for an hour. I don't understand how they stay under it for an hour. Also, my hair is longer and my ends hang out of the hood and doesn't seem to benefit from the steaming.

Most of us have long hair; you can simply clip it up so that all of your hair is under the steamer. My ends are the driest part of my hair, so I want them clipped up near the steam, anyway.

I would guess that some ladies don't need steam. Like, if you hair is already moisturized and you don't have any breakage or problems detangling, maybe there's not much room for your hair to improve. Some ladies on here do conditioner-only and never DC and their hair is doing just fine.

I have a large standing one. I use it inconsistently, but I think it's beneficial. However, I would not purchase such a large unit again. It's just too difficult to store.

.......I also limit my time to about 30 minutes. If I want to steam longer, I give myself a short break and then add more water. But, I think 30 minutes is good. I stay under longer sometimes because it's relaxing. Somebody mentioned forehead breakouts, which is interesting because I use a facial steamer to clear my skin. However, if you have sensitive skin, you should be careful with steam.

Honi

There is no board.
I don't have a steamer but wet my turban towel with very hot water, put it on my head, seal that off with a plastic bag and sit under my heat cap for 10 min or so. I don't think that is steaming per se but more like moist heat. I did see a huge difference when I tried Elucence MB condish mixed with AVJ.

detroitdiva

I don't own a steamer but I do use the sauna at the gym for the same results and when I apply my dc and stay in the sauna for about ten minutes, my hair is so much softer and more manageable. It may be the products you are using.

ladytee2

I use the home steam treatment as well -turbie with hot water plastic cap. I have noticed different results with different products. My hair is always tangle free after steaming. I have not seen a dramatic increase in shine. I do feel like I get more moisture and softness with the turbie verses just dc under the dryer with a plastic cap on my head. I want to try to a hot oil treatment with the steam and see what happens.

Last edited:

BeaLady

Most of us have long hair; you can simply clip it up so that all of your hair is under the steamer. My ends are the driest part of my hair, so I want them clipped up near the steam, anyway.

I would guess that some ladies don't need steam. Like, if you hair is already moisturized and you don't have any breakage or problems detangling, maybe there's not much room for your hair to improve. Some ladies on here do conditioner-only and never DC and their hair is doing just fine.

I have a large standing one. I use it inconsistently, but I think it's beneficial. However, I would not purchase such a large unit again. It's just too difficult to store.

.......I also limit my time to about 30 minutes. If I want to steam longer, I give myself a short break and then add more water. But, I think 30 minutes is good. I stay under longer sometimes because it's relaxing. Somebody mentioned forehead breakouts, which is interesting because I use a facial steamer to clear my skin. However, if you have sensitive skin, you should be careful with steam.

Thanks for the advice. I did try some clips but they acted as conductors and that area got hotter. I was thinking of trying some scunci ghair ties.

I did use a steam room in the gyms and I did notice some improvement in my hair. My problem might be that I can't stay under it for 30 mins at a time. I keep getting out and adjusting the vents because it's so hot.

How low do you put the hood down. I used to put it down to my hairline. I'm trying to see if putting it up a little higher would help. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I think if I had to do it again I would have bought a tabletop steamer.

LushLox

With respect there is a big difference imo between the home grown steam treatment and using a stand up steamer. The continual shot of steam is very effective in infusing moisture into the strands. That's why you'll find a lot of stylists will use it when applying colour to their clients hair. Some may not see results immediately but be consistent (and patient) it will reap dividends. 'Patience' is a very key point with improving hair.

PJaye

What conditioner are you ladies using to DC with?

I rotate between Giovanna SAS Deeper Moisture, Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating and My Honey Child Hair Mask.

ITA. Since my moisture level is stable and I don't have any breakage or excessive shedding issues, I didn't receive as much benefit from the steaming process as others have experienced. The only time my hair feels properly moisturized and detangles easily is when I DC overnight, so I will continue using this method. Besides, my hair and skin cried, "No mas!" to the steaming.

Mrs. Verde

How low do you put the hood down. I used to put it down to my hairline. I'm trying to see if putting it up a little higher would help. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I think you may be pulling the hood down too low. I had an issue where my steamer started getting very hot. I noticed this plastic piece fell off. It was at the end of the metal steam bar inside the hood. Once I put that little piece back less hot steam was coming out.

Also Sally sales these black and pink plastic croc clips that are great. I pin my hair up high to go under the steamer.

HappilyLiberal

When I first started steaming. I didn't see any great results. Like others, I was like what's all the hype. At the time I had porosity issues with my hair. After steaming I stared using Roux Porosity Control Corrector & Conditoner for 5 mins after steaming. Within 5-6 treatments I started noticing a huge difference in my hair. Other times that my results have not been that great are when I have used too much conditioner. Too much conditioner can prevent the moisture from getting to your hair. Disclaimer, I am using a stand up steamer.

I use the home grown steam treatment with two turbie twists and two plastic caps. I cannot reiterate the bolded enough. Using too much conditioner is a definite don't when steaming. I now steam every time I wash and condition my hair (2x's a week). Steaming is the only way I can comb through my new growth without ripping out my hair when I go past 8 weeks post (I am 19 weeks now).

adw425

After my first two treatments, my hair was in no better condition that going under the heat cap -- and I get wonderful results from the heat cap, so it was no big deal and I was just going to sell the steamer. However, after my third treatment, I got the following results: hair was finer, but also stronger and incredibly moisturized, shifted through fingers, felt softer and silkier and laid down wonderfully and it kept that feeling the whole week no matter what I did to it. After rinsing or CO washing or washing, the just steamed texture and feel to my hair came right back, so I am a believer.

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I don't have a steamer but wet my turban towel with very hot water, put it on my head, seal that off with a plastic bag and sit under my heat cap for 10 min or so. I don't think that is steaming per se but more like moist heat. I did see a huge difference when I tried Elucence MB condish mixed with AVJ.

I'm gonna be real honest here, and I can't even believe I'm saying this ... but errrrr ummmmmm ...

<whisper> I like this turbie towel method much better than my expensive steamer ... <whisper>

:lol:

HappilyLiberal

I'm gonna be real honest here, and I can't even believe I'm saying this ... but errrrr ummmmmm ...

<whisper> I like this turbie towel method much better than my expensive steamer ... <whisper>

:lol:

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I can't afford a steamer right now. But the Turbie Twist method is working so well for me, I might just invest in a Pibbs dryer instead.

lovelexi

I never used a steamer. I simply use a plastic cap and table top dryer. Never really bought into the hype because the plastic cap and heat produces a steam effect. So maybe thats why the results are no different.

BeaLady

I think you may be pulling the hood down too low. I had an issue where my steamer started getting very hot. I noticed this plastic piece fell off. It was at the end of the metal steam bar inside the hood. Once I put that little piece back less hot steam was coming out.

Also Sally sales these black and pink plastic croc clips that are great. I pin my hair up high to go under the steamer.

Thank you for the suggestions. :) I'm going to keep trying it. I haven't noticed a part that's fallen off. I'm going to look at the metal bar and see if it looks like a piece is missing. I'm also going to Sallys this week to buy those clips.

BlaqBella

I was not a believer either...Like adw425 said I use heat (flat irons)most times once a week and I don't have to moisturize/seal near as much since getting a steamer. I Do Not have to do the moist/seal method more than 2-3 times a week. Keep i mind that I have porous hair (especially the ends) which is prbably from the weekly straightening (i know that's bad). But I am a straight natural for the most part.

Also I thought my hair wasn't getting deep enough protein of the right kind. Because my hair wood almost look like the ramen noodle hair (some of you know what I'm speaking of) when wet. But the first time I steamed I got an all around soft, moisturized fro for the first time since becoming natural. Yeah when it would dry before it would shrink up. But the first steam did amazing things for my hair.
And this summer I was just doing plastic cap methods and went to visit someone who's house was extremely HOT and when I got home and took the covers off my head...Was what let me know that there was some penetration I had not tapped into before. (hope this makes since to someone)

Last edited: