Do you brush your hair daily?

RedButterfly

I have tried to minimize my hair brushing to every other day and give myself twice daily scalp massages. Is this a good idea? Do others minimize or eliminate brushin? I find that I get less breakage and loose less hair strands by minimizing brushing.

Allandra

I don't brush my hair daily. I have a boar bristle brush. When I do brush my hair, it's basically just to smooth my wrap (which isn't very often).

LondonDiva

I only use a brush to smooth the top portion of my hair before I put it in a ponytail. I never brush the full length of the hair.

SherryLove

No, I do not brush daily. I think it can be injurious to the hair. I lightly brush the top potion of my hair to smooth it out before wrapping it... /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

SherryLove35

SherryLove

NayNay

I don't brush my hair at all anymore. I use a soft soft baby brush to smooth the front not the length. I do this maybe 2 or 3 times per month. Now I smooth my hair with my hand or just use the comb. Brushing separates the cuticles which can eventually result in damage.

londongirl3

I read an article by Philip Kingsley in which he compared brushing human hair to brushing a woollen item. Eventually the woollen item would get damaged.

I don't brush my hair at all. I used to have a soft brush which my flatmate stole (Not saying she's dirty but I don't share combs/brushes so I gave it to her unwillingly /images/graemlins/drunk.gif). Until I buy another one, I don't think my hair can handle a brush (I'm 4a/b natural).

Paris Belle

I used to comb my hair with a wide tooth comb and brush with a boar bristle brush once a day, but I noticed a lot of shedding. Now I brush to style only and I do a brush and comb once or twice a week to get out all of the dead hair and remove the tangles (my hair tangles badly) and especially before shampooing to really get out the dead hair so that I don't shed so much.

LondonDiva

In response to Philip Kingsley's theory I can understand his example of brushing hair to a woollen item, but the structures are different (IMO otherwise they'd be the same thing) and there would be more damage to the wool. Look at what happens when you wash and fabric condition woollen items frequently compared to what happens when you wash and condition hair frequently. Two different materials. It would have been more interesting to know from PK what actually happens to the structure of the hair shaft every time it is brushed.

I smooth the top of my hair with the brush after I have put loads of activator and break free in my hair and smoothed it with my hands as much as possible. I know I have the wrong type of BB Brush, but in the meantime before I purchase one of superior quality I can mimize the potential damage from the brush by coating my hair in as much moisturiser as possible so the cuticle layer is protected and not use the full width of the brush on my hair or brush it through the hairs to the scalp. I tilt it to the side and use it to smooth it down using light strokes.

hairfanatic

I hardly ever brush and when I do use a brush it was to brush my edges down. I'm getting so used to using my gel, fingers and a silk scarf to make them flat and straight that I don't need a brush anymore. Plus, I noticed when I used to brush, it would pull my hair out. I do find that if you must use a brush, baby brushes and some of those pet hair brushes are great to use.

lshevonne

I use a brush everyday. I'm trying to break this habit but it's hard. I think I'll go get a Baby Brush today at lunch.

Amethyst

I don't brush at all. I find that brushing tears too much of my hair unneccesarily. I use a wide-tooth seemless pick or comb instead.

Amethyst

jrw

I have to brush my hair everyday otherwise it becomes matted and tangled. Not a pretty picture. I use a porcupine brush on my hair.

Jade21

I brush every day, but I know I use more strokes in the warmer months. I use both the Mason Pearson Detangler (all nylon) and the Popular (nylon/boar bristle combo).

~Jade~

Lita

No,just on the sides once in a while. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't brush my hair at all anymore. I use a soft soft baby brush to smooth the front not the length. I do this maybe 2 or 3 times per month. Now I smooth my hair with my hand or just use the comb.

[/ QUOTE ] Same here. /images/graemlins/smile.gif