do you do the final rinse with cool or cold water.. ?

MsDes

I use lukewarm water because cold water makes my hair tangled and frizzy. With lukewarm my hair is soft...I'm just weird I guess.

nzeee

2 methods, both of which i've fallen out of doing but will get back to.

with cold water (not cool, want full benefit):
i love super hot almost scalding showers like you so anything approaching warm makes me shiver. so i bend over, placing my feet as far away from the shower as possible and leaning in so only my head gets wet. this works and i can keep this position longer than the back arch

with ACV: this is less disruptive. pour diluted ACV from squeeze bottle while bending over. same position as with cold water but much less dramatic ;)

let us know if switching to cold water rinse helps. and also try ACV, it will help even more.

soonergirl

A gradual change from warm to cool.. I also arch my back as well.. my hair seems softer with a cool rinse..

ScorpioBeauty09

If it's in my shower, then lukewarm or cool unless it's summer. My mom has a huge shower with a removable head so I can bend down and wash my hair without getting my entire body wet. I've been using her bathroom to wash my hair a lot lately so it's cold cold cold for me.:grin: I love how my scalp feels afterward.:yep:

Last edited:

WyrdWay

I rinse with cold water. I move my shower head to point almost straight down then I lean back rinse my hair and squeeze out excess water then switch back to hot and move shower head back :) if that made since
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Wait! I thought this was supposed to have the opposite effect!?

This! see this happens to me & of course I know why it does. because I don't detangle until after my wash is done & my hair is 90% dry. if I don't detangle before the last wash & then turn around & rinse with cold water, the cuticles will shut w/ all these shed hairs tangled up in it! lol!!!! I swear I think that's what's happening. ;)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Drtondalia

I use cold water for my final rinse and I'm in the shower. Everytime is the same for me. Cold water is cold water. I just try to avoid the cold water from toching my body by leaning my head forward. The cold waterr still hits me a little but not as much as it would if I would have just stood under it. To me a few seconds cold is worth the results.

Solitude

I just can't do cold water. I've felt a measurable difference in my hair since buying a shower filter and mostly eliminating shampoo. I found that shampoo is what was lifting the cuticles on my hair shaft, not hot/warm water.

djkforeal

As previous posters have stated, I arch my back so that the hair nor the water really touch my back. I use cool water and change the temperature slowly so my skin does not go into shock from being hot to cold in a matter of seconds. I can really see the difference when I rinse in cool, it does seal my cuticles. I don't rinse my conditioner all the way out when I'm shampooing and conditioning in warm, so when I do my final rinse in cool water I still have some conditioner to rinse out so it is still detangling while sealing the cuticles.

sunnieb

I take HAWT showers, so a gradual temp change down to lukewarm is the way to go for me. I've tried cold, cool, kinda cool, and everything in between.

I. can't . do. :cold: water. :nono:

tiffjust2002

I do a final rinse with cool/cold water and I don't let my body touch the water. I stand as far away as possible turn the water to cool lean back (arching my back think limbo) and just get my head wet and then switch the water back to hot and then I'm done. The cool/cold water on my scalp is a shock for like 2 seconds but then I'm used to it.

hair_rehab

I do a cold rinse at the end but I actually like the way the cold water feels on my scalp. It's the hot water that I can't stand most of the time.

Aireen

I do a final rinse with cold water since the the water temperature doesn't bother me, actually, I like showering with bursts of cold water in between since it gets too hot in the shower sometimes with all the steam.

You can try filling a cup with water and kind of bending back away more away from your body and rinsing that ways so the cold water doesn't run down your back.

PikiNiki

I arch my back to minimize the shock of the cold water on me, and I immediately change the temp to warm so that my body warms up. Cold water seems to make my hair feel softer. I personally think that a shower filter plays a significant role in the feel of my hair.

hannan

I take uber hot showers and rinse my hair with h-o-t water. I can't be bothered to rinse with cold water unless it's a really hot day outside :lol:. I do an acv rinse afterwards to close my cuticles.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I use to use cold water and there was a difference to me (It took my hair much longer to dry) as I started to wet my head more often I didn't care for the longer drying time so now I don't bother unless I'm doing an ACV rinse.

PatTodd

I step out of the shower, wrap my body in a towel, then lean back in just to rinse my head (mainly the length of my hair) with cold water.

MizzBrown

I use the same temperature of water for my final rinse as I do for the whole wash. Cold water doesn't close cuticles. The most it will do is not rinse out conditioner as thoroughly as warm or hot water might...so that might explain the "difference" people claim to see. Otherwise the only thing that closes/opens cuticle of the hair is a change in the pH. That's why relaxers are very alkaline to open up the hair cuticle and then you follow the process with an acidic neutralizer to close the cuticle.

:yep: I learned that many things we do on this board have NO effect whatsoever on our hair and cold water rinse is one of them. Its hard to break this myth when you see many with long hair still claiming to do it so perception takes over before science.

After doing more research, there is no point in subjecting myself to the cold water. Does nothing for your hair. Its funny how our mind is so conditioned to believe otherwise though.

I stopped doing this among other useless things like DC'ing for more than 5-10 minutes, useless heat for penetration, steaming is actually worse for your hair, growth aids, etc..

TheNDofUO

:yep: I learned that many things we do on this board have NO effect whatsoever on our hair and cold water rinse is one of them. Its hard to break this myth when you see many with long hair still claiming to do it so perception takes over before science.

After doing more research, there is no point in subjecting myself to the cold water. Does nothing for your hair. Its funny how our mind is so conditioned to believe otherwise though.

I stopped doing this among other useless things like DC'ing for more than 5-10 minutes, useless heat for penetration, steaming is actually worse for your hair, growth aids, etc..

Why is steaming and heat not good/ useless for hair?

Nonie

@TheNDofUO, I'm not sure what @MizzBrown's reason is but I stopped conditioning with heat because if "bubble hair" is real, I don't understand why heat from a blowdryer would not cause it. A raise in temperature causes liquid to expand and if there's moisture inside the strands, and not pure water whose boiling point is high but product-laden moisture with a lower BP, what would stop that internal moisture from expanding inside your strands and causing mid-strand splits? So many people complain of having them and they don't use brushes which IMO can rip at strands...so maybe heat is to blame?

Anyway, this is why I don't DC with heat anymore. If the products I use don't call for it, I figure the makers already determined I can get good deep conditioning without it so I just stick to the script and leave it on for as long as recommended without involving heat in the mix.

(BTW it's a good idea to mention people when you ask them a question. If you mention people, ie type @ immediately before their name (no space), they are more likely to return to answer your question than if you don't because if you don't mention them, they have no way of knowing you spoke to them unless they happen to return to the discussion).

MizzBrown

I've been following this blog and been doing a lot of googling & reading other articles from chemists, trich doctors, case studies that show that steaming isn't necessary...among other things we swear about on this board.

And Nonie is right about the bubble hair you get with heat. You can read these blogs about steaming hair/heat/bubble hair.

I read here that it takes 18 hrs for your hair to be saturated with a steamer vs. 15 minutes with pure water. So what's the point? Wetting my hair with a spray bottle is more useful than getting under that steamer or dryer. I know it APPEARS to do some good but who knows until you get that microscope?

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/11/heat-on-wet-hair-bubble-hair.html

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2011/08/blow-drying-reduces-moisture-in-hair.html

http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/heat-nappy-hairs-worse-enemy/

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/07/does-deep-conditioning-require-specific.html

Heat can actually make your conditioner treatment useless than if you just left it on your hair for 5 mins & rinsed out per the instructions. Heat causes a reaction with the conditioner.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-myths-can-you-really-deep.html

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/01/myth-vs-fact-deep-conditioning.html

As with any hair care practice, "do you". I choose to follow what I want to follow.

TheNDofUO

@TheNDofUO, I'm not sure what @MizzBrown's reason is but I stopped conditioning with heat because if "bubble hair" is real, I don't understand why heat from a blowdryer would not cause it. A raise in temperature causes liquid to expand and if there's moisture inside the strands, and not pure water whose boiling point is high but product-laden moisture with a lower BP, what would stop that internal moisture from expanding inside your strands and causing mid-strand splits? So many people complain of having them and they don't use brushes which IMO can rip at strands...so maybe heat is to blame?

Anyway, this is why I don't DC with heat anymore. If the products I use don't call for it, I figure the makers already determined I can get good deep conditioning without it so I just stick to the script and leave it on for as long as recommended without involving heat in the mix.

(BTW it's a good idea to mention people when you ask them a question. If you mention people, ie type @ immediately before their name (no space), they are more likely to return to answer your question than if you don't because if you don't mention them, they have no way of knowing you spoke to them unless they happen to return to the discussion).

Okay thanks:)