Sealing Hair with Cool Water = Brittle Hair??

CoCoRican

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this as well?

My final rinse (the rinse with cool\cold water) makes my hair feel not as soft as when i rinse with warm water.

Am i using too cold water, am i missing a step:

I dc for 1 hr
then shampoo, rinse out well
vinegar rinse, rinse out well
apply moisturinzing conditioner leave in for 30 minutes or so

then comes the rinsing: my hair feels "like butta" when i am rinse the conditioner out with warm water, when the conditioner is rinse out, thats when i start the cool (sometimes cold) water to seal my cuticles.

When I am doing this this is when my hair starts to feel not as soft and a little hard.

Without cool water rinse my hair breaks and i have shedding: I do know cool water rinse is good for my hair: I just want to know if my hair suppose to feel this hard and not moisturized when I my rinsing with cool water? :wallbash:

Sistaslick

This is normal, and the colder the water- the harder it will feel.

The cold water actually constricts the hair shaft making it feel tighter, rigid, and sometimes tanglier. But this constiction is important b/c it reduces your hair's porosity and increases your hair's sheen over hair rinsed in warmer water- this is pretty much the whole point of doing this step. :lol:

Cold rinsed hair presents a more uniform, reflective surface b/c the cuticle scales are forced to be more compact and rigid, but rinsing in cooler (not freezin' cold) water pretty much has the same effect. I would just add a bit more warmth to the water to help maintain managability. :yep: Or . . . you can invest in a good leave in/detangler. :lol:

If that feeling were happening immediately after the ACV rinse, and not after your DC and cold water rinse-- then you'd know it's your ACV measurement that needs more dilution.

HTH.

morehairplease

This is normal, and the colder the water- the harder it will feel.

The cold water actually constricts the hair shaft making it feel tighter, rigid, and sometimes tanglier. But this constiction is important b/c it reduces your hair's porosity and increases your hair's sheen over hair rinsed in warmer water- this is pretty much the whole point of doing this step. :lol:

Cold rinsed hair presents a more uniform, reflective surface b/c the cuticle scales are forced to be more compact and rigid, but rinsing in cooler (not freezin' cold) water pretty much has the same effect. I would just add a bit more warmth to the water to help maintain managability. :yep: Or . . . you can invest in a good leave in/detangler. :lol:

If that feeling were happening immediately after the ACV rinse, and not after your DC and cold water rinse-- then you'd know it's your ACV measurement that needs more dilution.

HTH.

thanks Sistaslick!

MRJ1972

My stylist would rinse conditoner in warm water, then switch to a "cool" temperature in the last minute of the rinse....The "cold" water is probably a bit much...My hair was lovely, but cant afford weekly salon visits anymore...:perplexed

*Muffin*

Don't rinse all of the conditioner out with warm water. The problem could be that you are rinsing all the conditioner out before it gets a chance to be locked in by the cold water. Either that or just do your final rinse with warm water and vinegar or lemon juice. They also seal hair the hair's cuticle so you won't need to use cold water.

P.S. The water shouldn't be too warm when you rinse. Aim for around luke warm to mildly warm :yep:.

CoCoRican

Wow, thank you to all who responded: This really felt like Need to know Info for me: Thank You Again !!!! Besoes

That's weird I rinse my hair in ice cold water (as cold as I can stand it) and my hair still feels soft. Before I rollerset I use a serum to lock in the moisture. But my hair has never fely hard after a cold water rinse.

ryanshope

Yeah I agree with another poster---don't rinse the conditioner totally out of your hair--use the warm water to get most of it out and then finish with a cool rinse. I have been trying acv with ice water in a spray bottle cuz I am tryin to turn down the heat for my body too..