• 3-6 inches

Votes: 114 30.6%
  • 6-9 inches

Votes: 64 17.2%
  • 9 or more inches

Votes: 51 13.7%

• Total voters

InnerSoul

My nape is right at 6 inches long...it could have been longer but it is making a big comeback from being overprocessed some time ago.

amwcah

I voted 0-3 inches. I couldn't tell you how it got like this. Perhaps from wearing tight ponytails pre-LHCF. Right now I'm giving it TLC by moisturizing it separate from the rest of my hair and doing scalp massages in that area at least twice per day (tips from JenniferMD ;) ).

FeelinIt

My nape went from about 1-2 inches to .5 inches and less. I admit I don't moisturize enough, but when I do it seems to be in vain so I give up. Whether wet or oiled or anything, it ALWAYS feels dry, and brittle. I don't know what to do anymore. I've gotten to the point where I've cried looking at it. The rest of my hair is fine, with the exception of my scalp issues but the hair grows in just fine. I have an inch plus from my sew in challenge. BUT the nape gets worse and worse and worse.

What the hell. Should I just shave it off and start from scratch? I need some serious help.

Jay

My nape is about 3.5 inches. Im trying badly to grow it out so I've been paying extra attention to it when I moisturize my hair.

so1913

Mine is about 8 inches. Ever since I've been natural I've had no problems with it staying as long as the rest of my hair.

God's Anointed

My nape has so many different lengths but generally, it's shorter than the rest of my hair. I've been trying to stop wearing sweaters that snap that area and i'm trying to up my moisture game on that section. We'll se in a couple of months how this works out.

diamondlady

My nape is about 7" and not as long as the rest of my hair. Since being a member of LHCF my nape has grown about 3" but it seems not to grow as fast as the rest of my hair. (Not much new growth). It doesn't seem to want to go over 8" which is a long as it has been.

Anybody got any ideas on how to retain length at the nape?

beaux cheveux

My nape is like a little inch long:perplexed . It just seems like it can't grow.
Well, it is better than before, used to be just nappy little buckshots Glad I got pass that stage.:lol:

beaux cheveux

FeelinIt said:
My nape went from about 1-2 inches to .5 inches and less. I admit I don't moisturize enough, but when I do it seems to be in vain so I give up. Whether wet or oiled or anything, it ALWAYS feels dry, and brittle. I don't know what to do anymore. I've gotten to the point where I've cried looking at it. The rest of my hair is fine, with the exception of my scalp issues but the hair grows in just fine. I have an inch plus from my sew in challenge. BUT the nape gets worse and worse and worse.

What the hell. Should I just shave it off and start from scratch? I need some serious help.
I feel ya. My nape area drives me crazy!:hammer:

eunique

mine is uneven and about an inch at its longest parts. i got a cut back in july to help it grow. it started growing back fast but then it just stopped. i'm getting my hair braided as i type. i'm hoping it'll grow w/the braids.

LovelyLionessa

My nape drives me a little bonkers. I am babying mine now ever since some of it broke off during detangling wash session. :mad: It's a little shorter than the rest of my hair. I moisturize and seal it with JBCO for some TLC.

Cayenne0622

hang in there ladies. My nape has always been shorter and brittle in comparison to the rest of my hair. Now, I only leave the relaxer on that area for a couple of minutes and I really soak that area with moisturizer daily and its starting to thrive. It's almost the same length as the rest of my hair now...maybe 1/2 inch shorter but catching up.

LovelyLionessa

Cayenne0622 said:
hang in there ladies. My nape has always been shorter and brittle in comparison to the rest of my hair. Now, I only leave the relaxer on that area for a couple of minutes and I really soak that area with moisturizer daily and its starting to thrive. It's almost the same length as the rest of my hair now...maybe 1/2 inch shorter but catching up.

Wow, that's inspirational. I suppose that what's often disheartening to me when I think about my nape, I wonder will it always be shorter than the rest of my hair, or can it actually have a growth spurt, and catch up with the rest of my length. :scratchch

To prevent tangling, I now not only wash in braids, I also create an extra little braid for my nape area and comb that area out separately and gently. That way all the shed hair doesn't collect there and cause breakage, again. :ohwell: One's nape can be like a whole nother head of hair to worry about. :look:

loolalooh

My nape is more than 9 inches since my healthy hair journey.

From 2005 through 2007 (before I found the boards), my nape was anywhere from 0 to 3 inches due overprocessing, etc..

Last edited:

freshlikemoi

THis is going to sound crazy but my nape is about an inch or so away from APL while the rest of my hair is acting stank.

ellehair

I voted 0-3 inches as my nape was bald when ijoined to forum and its now almost 3 inches.. My nape need alot of TLC and i've learned how to treat it right since i've been a member of this board..

I AM...

Since joining the board my nape has completely grown. I was never bald back there but it wasn't as full. I knew I was growing as soon as I mistook those fine hairs on my neck as breakage also that was the first growth I've noticed. After only a week and a few days I noticed it filling in and now it falls away when in an updo. It's definitely growing.. Thanks LHCF...

nymane

I voted 0-3 inches as my nape was bald when ijoined to forum and its now almost 3 inches.. My nape need alot of TLC and i've learned how to treat it right since i've been a member of this board..

Same here...it took me 5 months, now I have 3-4 :)

Lita

My nape is about 3-4-inch in some areas.(I keep my hair up alot)Happy Hair Growing!

yardgirl

Mine is uneven. The longest bit is about 2 inches and teh shortest, about 3/4 of an inch. I'm working on it though.

Stella B.

My nape is about 4 inches long. It's always been the curliest (kinkiest) part of my hair. It's also always been the shortest part of my hair too, for as long as I can remember. I wonder if I am neglecting it now. I always thought it was supposed to be short and coily.

Kalani

My nape is about 4 inches long but before joining it was ate up girl...now it's growing because I keep it moisturized and I do not wear my buns tight anymore...oh and I perm it last along with my sides...it's growing in rather fast:)

I do this too. I also skip the nape area every other retouch. It seems to have really made a difference.

Aspire

I had (have) a W shaped nape. the bottom end points of the W were about 1.5 with top middle point about 4-5 inches. I had DH give me a shape to a square since I wear my hair pinned up. My back hair line is now 4-5 inches, but I would not really say I have a nape anymore?: ohwell:

tocktick

9" and growing. It's about the same length as the rest of my hair. I've never had an issue with it, tbh.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Before LHCF my nape was a mess, after LHCF as of yesterday my nape is 7.5 inches!!! Check out my fotki in the nape album