Do you HAVE to cut off thin ends?

Candycane044

I'm so discouraged beacuse my ends are really thin, but i really really don't want to cut them off. Right now my hair is in a sew in weave; in an attempt to give my hair some rest.. But when i take it out, i don't know if i should cut the ends off or leave them alone? I really don't want to lose length, but I also don't want unhealthy hair... What should i do? :confused: And how bad would the consequences be if I don't cut the ends off?

Mitre

I cut off 6-8 inches of thin ends last october because of a braiding mishap. I could not stand looking at those ends so I got some shears and cut them off. It will grow back love donot worry

Crysdon

Go ahead and cut them. When I got a deep trim last September, I gained all the length back by December by wearing a bun everyday. I suggest you don't get the weave because that could be the reason why the ends are thinning.

If cutting it all off would be traumatic to you, then trim about 1/2 to 1 inch every other month.

kombov_dymond

Yep, go ahead and trim them. When I started my journey, I was holding onto thin ends. My hair looked a mess and I couldn't wear it down. I cut them off right before Christmas, continued to wear my hair up, and contined with my regime, and now they look SO MUCH better....

Ms Red

I suggest cutting your ends. I got 2 inches of damaged, thin, split ends cut off 2 wks. ago and it's like I have a different head of hair now. Very thick, bouncy and most importantly, healthy.

Sew-in weaves was the culprit of my thin ends. I think I will gain the length back in no time by taking care of my hair and esp. my ends.
:grin:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
if u want your hair to look nice, cut them off to make your hair look healthier and thicker.

if the thin ends are damaged, split, or overprocessed, cut them off because all it will do is break off by themselves. i would rather cut them off than to allow them to break off.

hth! ;)

shellzfoshizzle

Yea. What they said. Cut them. There is no use in hanging on to straggle pieces...thats basically what they are. When you cut them off, you're hair will be thicker and will grow before you know it. It's better in the long run.

Ashee

The whole cut/trim for growth debate continues...:lol:
But honestly after seeing a couple of sites where the ladies simply grew their hair out w/o trimming to test the debate have shown that the hair will grow regardless. It will look raggedy but it will grow... So no, you don't HAVE to but it will LOOK better....

I am letting my thin ends grow out some more before I trim off the thin parts.... I am not doing it for growth, just appearance sake....
So if you're contemplating for appearance, then trim away. If it's for growth it's not needed... the hair growths from the scalp so no amount of heavy trimming is going to effect that. So do what's needed but keep in mind to protect & moisten those ends, no matter what you do!:yep:
-HTH:look:

Last edited:

BMoreFlyy

I say cut them for the simple reason of having healthy looking hair. My philosophy is always I'd rather cut the hair out than to have it fall out. But it will grow back and you'll be happy you got rid of those thin ends.

MomofThreeBoys

Co-signing. I have an 1 1/2 inches of thin ends and I'm going to wait until my next relaxer :)

Ashee said:
The whole cut/trim for growth debate continues...:lol:
But honestly after seeing a couple of sites where the ladies simply grew their hair out w/o trimming to test the debate have shown that the hair will grow regardless. It will look raggedy but it will grow...

I am letting my thin ends grow out some more before I trim off the thin parts.... I am not doing it for growth, just appearance sake....
So if you're contemplating for appearance, then trim away. If it's for growth it's not needed... the hair growths from the scalp so no amount of heavy trimming is going to effect that. So do what's needed but keep in mind to protect & moisten those ends, no matter what you do!:yep:
-HTH:look:

Ashee

natalied said:
Co-signing. I have an 1 1/2 inches of thin ends and I'm going to wait until my next relaxer :)
That's what I did... I did a mini trim on the V section of my hair & when the braids come out I'll trim a little more... I just want the "Thick Look" on my ends..:look:
:lol:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I agree that trimming thin ends will LOOK better but is not necessary for growth. If the thought of cutting a couple of inches all at once scares you just do mini trims until they are all gone. I think there are some ladies here that are wearing protective styles daily and putting off their trims until they reach their personal goals. I think that's cool too. If your ends are tucked away no one will see them anyway.

Candycane044

Thank you all SO much for your help, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I'll probably cut them off, because it will make my hair look much better. And in the end it makes me happy to know it will grow back. :) Once again thanks ladies.

Ladylynn

I just cut off about 2 inches of my hair. My hair was leaning toward arm pit length but my ends were so... thin. It took me a long time to decide to cut them, but once I did I was so... happy. And to be honest, I could hardly tell that I had cut my hair. My hair looks so much better now. When I wear it down, it looks really full. I'm glad i made the decision.

Ayeshia

But I will be honest those who have thick hair at the first 8 inches in conjunction with 3 inches of see through ends is not a pretty sight. Cut it :)

goldensugar23

Pretty pic Ayeshia

I agree with the ladies it hurts but u have to let it go.My mom trimmed almost three inches off of my hair.My hair looks so healthy people are giving more compliments.She said when hair looks healthier it looks just as long.People dont really notice the length..they are so engrossed in the shine and bounce u will have after that trim. :grin:

MonaLisa

goldensugar23 said:
Pretty pic Ayeshia

I agree with the ladies it hurts but u have to let it go.My mom trimmed almost three inches off of my hair.My hair looks so healthy people are giving more compliments.She said when hair looks healthier it looks just as long.People dont really notice the length..they are so engrossed in the shine and bounce u will have after that trim. :grin:

Never thought about it like that. That was nicely said.

FashionistaNY

My philosophy, why hold onto raggedy ends just to say ohhh my hair is so and so length. It looks a mess to have long stringy/dingy looking ends IMO. A couple of months back I had the stringy hair and it depressed me looking into the mirror to see lifeless limp stringy ends. I had about 3-4" cut in one sitting. Yes my hair was significantly shorter, but my hair sprung to life. It was thick, beautiful, shiny and bouncy. Sometimes I would put my hair back into a pony and it was really short, but cute on the same token because I was soo thick and blunt looking. Eventually you will get over it.

It's more exciting to see thick full hair growing in than stringy limp locks.

I agree with previous post. In the long run you will be happy to have healthy hair. In addition, you dont run the risk of the ends to continue splitting up your hair shaft. Perhaps you may consider gradually cutting them off. In the end you will be very happy to look at you ends and know they are healthy. Plus, it will be fun caring for them and "Makin sho nutthin aint goin' mess them up again" I just did it in January (see raggedy ends in profile)-- my hair grew back in no time. Yours will too!

Vintagecoilylocks

MY hair is natural, I did not see whether you are natural or not. I do not cut because the natural tip of a hair shaft is stronger and more protected from damage. When you cut you will always have to cut. You open the shaft just like a cut blade of grass. Take a look at grass a couple days after its cut. compare to an uncut. the uncut was open and exposed and drys out and turns brown. The hair is more likely to even it self up. Since you have know idea of the age of the hair above the trim it is no guarantee you won't have thin ends in another two months. Some of those may be time to shed. Thus creating the thinning effect. Being natural my hair curls up and it is impossible to see any unevenness of excessive thinining. If they are not split and are natural tips keep them. New fast growing hair is on its way to catching up. I think a few of the other ladies stopped trimming and the hair evened up itself and kept growing nicely. Protect the ends to prevent splits.

LadyChe

Question to vintagecoily - so when you find a split end, do you just cut that end? Do you use oil to seal an end when you need to cut it? Just wondering...

Candycane044

Vintagecoilylocks, what you said is very interesting. I am relaxed. The thing I don't understand about the ends is that they are not splitting and they're not dry or anything like that. They don't break off at all.. which is why i'm so confused as to what to do. Had they been breaking off etc. I probably would've cut them. *sigh* :confused:

Mizani_Mrs

Hmm, interesting comment by Vintage. Girl u just refuted the haircare industry's #1 myth in just one paragraph. Gon' gurl wit yo bad self. Well I would say that it is not necessary to trim off ALOT of your ends if you wear a curly or protective style daily. Like for myself, I use steamrollers and wear a curly wrap daily so having perfectly even razor-straight hair is not necessary. My ends probably could use a 1in trim but i haven't as of yet, and i won't until i reach armpit length. I wear my hair curly and it looks very good, there is no way of telling if my ends are trim or not. I'll usually trim 1/4in after every touch-up just to even it and give it more body, but i decided that i will not let anyone give me a serious chop anymore....who needs 'em.....

melodee

I definately trim when I'm really thin. I usually go for a longer period of time than I used to when I wasn't growing my hair out. But when my hair looks see through, I know it's time.

It does grow back, even though I always wish I could hold on to that hair. But I get more compliments from others when it's nicely trimmed and even than I ever do when I'm holdin' on to strings.

Vintagecoilylocks

When I decided not to cut off I did only trim that particular strand. Once my regimine improved I have not had any more spilits. The therory is this if you do not have splits but your hair is uneven that is the sigh that the different age of your hairs is aparent. If you have recently started good hair care it may take some growing for the natural balance to return.

Theory is, each strand has its own life cycle. When you trim you are cutting hairs of all age. That trim however will not determine the speed of each hair strand growth. Think of it as a race. the older strand is slowing down or stoped ready to shed. the newrer strand is on it way at top speed now that you have improved your hair care. no matter how many times you try to stop the faster younger runner to even it up with the rest it will take off running and leave the older ones behind. Also all new hair just shy of the trim will rapidly pas the older hair you just cut. Result unveven hair in a month or so. Then you want to cut again. The person who taught me said leave it alone ant the faster hairs will over take the older ones eventually catching up and filling in. Trying to keep new strands restricted to maintain lenght with older slower strands is really impossible there fore the perceived idea of the need to cut. If it is a look you are after then you will be caught in a need to cut always. If you let nature take its course your need to cut to be even will slowly go away. I think Cathy howse pialso purports this idea of not needing to cut. Many long hair professionals do not believe a strand that is in good condition will splitand cutting open the tips is only a guarantee to a split.

A natural tip tapers like a ice cream sugar cone sealing the end of the hair. If you take care of the hair as it grows out of your hair and it does not get broke you can tell the differance in a cut hair tip and a natural hair tip.

Protect your ends and the hair shaft. the ends being older may need special attention. I have not trimmed or cut in 2 1/2 years and do not have splits. My two layers have been chasing each other at a stedy rate of growth. When my hair reaches its final length the second layer should continue to lengthen till it meets the longest. It may have reached it, Because my longest is the same length and the second layer has gained on it.

fletgee

Sigh.....

After reading this thread I relized that I had thin ends. I thought the thin ends were hair that was growing longer than the rest of my hair. Silly me..:perplexed

Since my hair was in about 8 braids I went into the bathroom with my trusty hair scissors. Snip-snip times 8 and I was done. :grin:

And to think..I was proud of those ends! I just knew my hair was growing. Silly rabbit..:ohwell:

Streaching relaxer since 1st week of January 2005.
Trying to hold out till 1st week of June 2005.