Thin Ends. What do you do?

growingbrown

My ends are thin. A cosmetologist told me I should cut the thin ends which looks to be about 1.5-2 inches of my hair. My hair is currently .5 inch past BSL. My question is should I have her cut them or is there something else I can do. Please help!

Farida

5 years ago, my hair was BSL with thin ends. A cosmetologist told me the same thing but I refused to. ffwd, now my hair is barely shoulder length. It all broke off. Bit by bit...

cheeks87

that depends what your hair looks like.

if they really are thin i'd slowly cut off 1 inch at each relaxer, instead of all at once so it's not so traumatic(lol). so if your hair is typically an inch longer after each touchup, you're basically maintaining your length while getting nice ends.

plastic

If you wear your hair down and straight constantly then get them cut. If you dont then grow it for another 4 months til the thin ends get to BSL and cut off the 1.5 - 2 inches

Irresistible

If you wear your hair down and straight constantly then get them cut. If you dont then grow it for another 4 months til the thin ends get to BSL and cut off the 1.5 - 2 inches

ITA!!!! :yep:

There is no point in holding on to really thin ends as its highly unlikely they will thicken up, all you can do is grow out and cut or cut and grow to get rid of them

naturalmanenyc

If your ends are not split or damaged, there is no need to cut them unless you just want a blunt cut. If they are damaged, the damage could work it's way up and cause breakage.

My ends are thin but not damaged. I intend to get a blunt cut once I hit BSL, but only cutting up to the point of BSL per my agreement with DH. I have a few strands at BSL now when stretched. However, 95% of the time my hair is pinned up so nobody really sees my thin ends except me & DH.

My ends are thin. A cosmetologist told me I should cut the thin ends which looks to be about 1.5-2 inches of my hair. My hair is currently .5 inch past BSL. My question is should I have her cut them or is there something else I can do. Please help!

charmtreese

My ends are thin too! I also have layers.:wallbash: My plan is to dust regularly between relaxers and trim each relaxer. Im going to a new stylist for my July touch-up, so Im in the same boat as you...Im not sure If I want my new stylist to trim or if I will self trim after the touch-up!:drunk:

growingbrown

If your ends are not split or damaged, there is no need to cut them unless you just want a blunt cut. If they are damaged, the damage could work it's way up and cause breakage.

My ends are thin but not damaged. I intend to get a blunt cut once I hit BSL, but only cutting up to the point of BSL per my agreement with DH. I have a few strands at BSL now when stretched. However, 95% of the time my hair is pinned up so nobody really sees my thin ends except me & DH.

My ends are not damaged. I keep my hair in a bun 99% of the time. I went to get my hair done for graduation and she said my ends need a trim and they were thin. I think I may have her to cut .5 - 1 inch off; although I love my V shape hair. I would hate for me to not cut them and they continue to get thinner or break. Thank you for the advice...

sareca

5 years ago, my hair was BSL with thin ends. A cosmetologist told me the same thing but I refused to. ffwd, now my hair is barely shoulder length. It all broke off. Bit by bit...

Ditto... I've cut 4 inches off twice now. I guess they were damaged even tho I thought they weren't... :ohwell:

Last edited:

crispychris

Lately, I have notice after I comb out my curls with a widetooth comb from a rollerset my ends are in the sink. Otherwise there is no breakage, so I believe maybe the tension is too much on my ends, and my ends are soaping wet with water so... Do you rollerset often?

Cichelle

I don't believe in cutting ends that are not damaged. Personally, I wouldn't cut them. But I don't use heat/wear straight styles and I rarely wear my hair down. You know your hair best. Some people have hair that thins out at a certain length. Cutting it only results in the same thing happening again and again and they get nowhere. Other people feel they need to cut to prevent damage. I guess it all depends on a few factors.

cutenaynay

i think if your ends are spilt then cut but your hair looks healthy to me. If you feel you cant stand how your ends look then trim a lil bit of it (dusting) from time to time while it grows. Also it is your hair and you should do what you feel is best

DivaD04

My ends are not damaged. I keep my hair in a bun 99% of the time. I went to get my hair done for graduation and she said my ends need a trim and they were thin. I think I may have her to cut .5 - 1 inch off; although I love my V shape hair. I would hate for me to not cut them and they continue to get thinner or break. Thank you for the advice...

GB that's all it is, b/c u bun...when u grab ur hair and keep it in that same position day n and day out ur hair is just growing in that way. if you were to let your hair down your hair most likely wouldn't grow in a V-shape pattern. just looking at your avatar I can tell your hair is healthy looking, it's just always being held up in a bun. You don't need a trim but if you like the blunt look, then I'd agree w/u that .5-1" off will set it off for ya.

Nonie

I believe in regularly dusting if you want to keep your ends thick. I have shared before that when I didn't dust and decided to join the club of those who don't believe in trimming, my ends got so thin that I had to chop off about 2 inches of hair. I can't stand thin ends and would not hold onto them.

Thin ends may not appear to have split ends but they are thin for a reason. My guess is the split ends have already peeled away leaving a thinner diameter and broken off a little further up the strand. Holding onto those ends just means holding onto ends that are weak and vulnerable and I'm almost certain will break off.

One of the most beautiful heads of hair here IMO is Supergirl's hair. Ends don't taper off into thinness. :yep:

For anyone who didn't see my pics, here is a year's growth from about 1 inch with regular dusting/trimming. Another year later with regular trimming/dusting and again my hair's still looking great, thick from base to ends. But a few months later of no trimming and my ends were thin and ugly and uneven. Had to trim off a chunk to get back to the uniform thickness along the length that I was used to (top before, bottom after).

Irresistible

I believe in regularly dusting if you want to keep your ends thick. I have shared before that when I didn't dust and decided to join the club of those who don't believe in trimming, my ends got so thin that I had to chop off about 2 inches of hair. I can't stand thin ends and would not hold onto them.

Thin ends may not appear to have split ends but they are thin for a reason. My guess is the split ends have already peeled away leaving a thinner diameter and broken off a little further up the strand. Holding onto those ends just means holding onto ends that are weak and vulnerable and I'm almost certain will break off.

One of the most beautiful heads of hair here IMO is Supergirl's hair. Ends don't taper off into thinness. :yep:

For anyone who didn't see my pics, here is a year's growth from about 1 inch with regular dusting/trimming. Another year later with regular trimming/dusting and again my hair's still looking great, thick from base to ends. But a few months later of no trimming and my ends were thin and ugly and uneven. Had to trim off a chunk to get back to the uniform thickness along the length that I was used to (top before, bottom after).

Yup yup! The scissors are our friend! :yep:

LongiLox

Here's the thing, I naturally have thin/fine hair. How does one know that their ends are damamged? Besides, split ends.

Nonie

Here's the thing, I naturally have thin/fine hair. How does one know that their ends are damamged? Besides, split ends.

I have naturally fine/thin hair too. But I can tell my ends are not their best when the thickness of my hair tapers a little too much towards the ends. Every time I undo a braid to redo it, I stretch the hair and look at the ends. Usually some strands just appear see-through and I snip those away. So either the hair is so clearly split or the hair is so thin coz the split tore away.

Although I don't usually press my hair to dust/trim, when I did, it was clear that the ends needed to go. I know I don't get rid of ALL the split ends when I dust, but just tidying the very tips of my hair up seems to make a difference.

ajoyfuljoy

I would go ahead and cut the ends. THe times in my life where I had thin, scraggly ends and I cut a couple of inches I ended up feeling better about my hair.

Maybe two years ago I cut off four inches (my ends were bad)! Last summer I cut off two, three months ago I cut 1.5. I love my ends now and no I'm not scissor happy but I like my ends to look healthy and I had to cut off a lot of hair that was damaged pre-LHCF.

Traycee

that depends what your hair looks like.

if they really are thin i'd slowly cut off 1 inch at each relaxer, instead of all at once so it's not so traumatic(lol). so if your hair is typically an inch longer after each touchup, you're basically maintaining your length while getting nice ends.

Thats what I was going to suggest....Cut a little of at a time....That way you won't go into shock...

*Frisky*

I agree with this...the last 2 inches of my hair is thinner than the rest but it is not damaged. I am gonna cut it off at the end of this year and still have good length to my hair.

gymfreak336

See, that is what I think, especially with my fine hair. I do see better progess too when I dust more frequently.

Nonie

when you say dusting, you mean taking off only aout 1/8 of an inch right?

:lol: Trying not to take off too much eh? :lol:

I usually take off a 1/4 of an inch which is just about the distance within these two lines: |..| Sometimes a bit more. Depends on how bad the ends look.

locabouthair

:lol: Trying not to take off too much eh? :lol:

I usually take off a 1/4 of an inch which is just about the distance within these two lines: |..| Sometimes a bit more. Depends on how bad the ends look.

:lol: yeah I'm trying to retain as much as possible.

But 1/4 inch isnt much. I'll probably take off about that much after a touchup.

MissTical

Hey I was close to APL maybe an inch away in some areas, and I relaxed my hair after a 30+ week stretch Wednesday... My stylist showed me how thin my ends were. They weren't split just thin... personally it looked a hot arse mess to me... so I took a deep breath and had her cut... I wish that I would have trimmed before. I agree with a lot of the other ladies about trimming gradually... Good luck

BTW your hair looks good in your siggy

JustKiya

It depends on why the ends are thin.

If they are thin/see through due to damage/splits (ie, the strands themselves are thin) then I would cut.

If they are thin/see through because of natural layers/hair growth patterns/all the hair hasn't caught up yet, then I wouldn't cut it until it was long enough that I could get a blunt cut at my desired milestone.

I personally think that trying to keep blunt ends and grow hair longer is.... well, it makes the journey ever so much longer.

classi123

Jus get a little trim. It will look and flow better, who wants to have long hair with stringly ends. I much rather prefer the full healthy look. :grin: