Do you have to cut or trim when there is breakage?

RegaLady

OKay maybe the vets can help me out. I am a natural 4a/b. So I flat ironed my hair to get an ideal of the length. I blow dried first, then flat ironed. But it seemed that my ends were burnt and started to break and break. There were all these little hairs on the bathroom floor:nono::nono::nono::nono:. What should I do???? I did a protein treatment and a moisterizing DC afterward. I bunned and added moisterizer then sealed the ends with oil. Does it look like I may have to cut my hair????:perplexed Or can this be repaired?

lana

I really hope some other ladies chime in and respond. When I was natural and straightened I always had breakage. It was due to making my hair straight when it wanted to be curly. So I eventually texlaxed, because 99% of the time, I wore my hair straight, not natural or curly. Finally, minimal to no breakage.

Whenever I have short broken ends on the bathroom sink, I immediately moisturize and seal and bun. So I think you did everything right.

Try blow drying on a low temperature or air dry and then flat iron. Your hair will be more "poofy" but less chance of heat damage when straightening. Also I always use Redken Smooth down Shampoo and Conditioner or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight, to straighten my hair (even now). I need help from products to properly straighten without breakage. I hope this helps.

RegaLady

I really hope some other ladies chime in and respond. When I was natural and straightened I always had breakage. It was due to making my hair straight when it wanted to be curly. So I eventually texlaxed, because 99% of the time, I wore my hair straight, not natural or curly. Finally, minimal to no breakage.

Whenever I have short broken ends on the bathroom sink, I immediately moisturize and seal and bun. So I think you did everything right.

Try blow drying on a low temperature or air dry and then flat iron. Your hair will be more "poofy" but less chance of heat damage when straightening. Also I always use Redken Smooth down Shampoo and Conditioner or Paul Mitchell Silky Straight, to straighten my hair (even now). I need help from products to properly straighten without breakage. I hope this helps.

Thank you!!!!! Did you have to trim or did your hair repair on its own?

Missjae09

Great thread OP! from what I have learned hair cannot be "repaired" if that were the case no one would ever trim their split ends they would just repair them. If your hair is truly damaged I think you will need to get a trim (not a cut). Straightening your hair for a length check should not cause breakage. If I were you I would do a hot oil treatment or DC with steam/heat and if you don't have the tools needed I would let the product sit on the hair for a few hours or even over night.

After you straightened could you see the areas of your hair that were broken off?

locabouthair

Great thread OP! from what I have learned hair cannot be "repaired" if that were the case no one would ever trim their split ends they would just repair them. If your hair is truly damaged I think you will need to get a trim (not a cut). Straightening your hair for a length check should not cause breakage. If I were you I would do a hot oil treatment or DC with steam/heat and if you don't have the tools needed I would let the product sit on the hair for a few hours or even over night.

After you straightened could you see the areas of your hair that were broken off?

I love the rollerset in your siggy!

Back to the OP, I would only trim/cut if I could see the broken off parts on my head. Last yr I stretched for too long plus got bad tangles which gave me horrible breakage and I will be cutting. if my ends weren't thin I wouldn't cut I would just try to do treatments/DC's.

You said your hair was burnt. Maybe the temp was too high?

Fhrizzball

Perhaps next time you can just rollerset and straighten or air dry your hair stretched and straighten so your hair won't stress from all that heat. Also a good dc before a heat treatment is advisable. If you notice splits I would trim. Just baby your ends

RegaLady

I couldn't see it because natural makes everything seem so full. But I did notice that the ends looked a bit crispy :(. When I washed and DC'd it, everything looked back to normal, but I don't want any surprises.

Because I am scared as crap to use heat again, how does one trim natural hair? Should I trim the whole head?

Missjae09

Trimming my hair while in its natural state would scare me to death.. i always straighten before getting a trim but maybe you could braid the hair to stretch it and trim the ends of the braids or twists. I've never tried this but it seems like it might work.....
I couldn't see it because natural makes everything seem so full. But I did notice that the ends looked a bit crispy :(. When I washed and DC'd it, everything looked back to normal, but I don't want any surprises.

Because I am scared as crap to use heat again, how does one trim natural hair? Should I trim the whole head?

curlycrocheter

when was the last time you straightened? (before this time) when this happened to me it was because I laid off the heat and the ssk had an orgy on the last 5 inches of my hair. I realized I wasn't properly moisturizing my ends.

Also, heat doesn't have to be the enemy. But you need to get your hair into shape before you should try it again. I use heat in moderation now and my ends are actually better for it.