Do you still get breakage?

Do you still get breakage although your hair is healthy?

• never

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • rarely (explain)

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • sometimes (explain)

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • yes, however very little (explain)

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • yes, a good amount still (explain)

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • yes, all the time (explain)

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

sweetgal

Ladies,

I want to ask a question! Do you still get breakage although you hair is healthy? If so how much beakage are you getting.

Is the breakage after weave, braids? Is it because of not enough moisture? How many strands would you say are broken and how often?

Last edited:

wheezy807

Yeah i get breakage sometimes. I just recently observed that my hair is breaking right around the front area. When i stretched it back it ended at my ponytail holder! So i already know i have to lay off the tight elastic bands for a while.:ohwell:

Cleve_gryl

I get 'normal' breakage after washing my hair, I need to be more gentle :look:. But I'm stretching right now and discovered that I have slight breakage on my hairline...maybe I'm not meant to stretch past 12 weeks.

sweetgal

Thanks to the 2 ladies who responded. Come on ladies, We all need to know in detail what's happening. I feel discourage when I have a little breakage and I need to know if this is normal. Also all the other ladies want to know too right????

bumping

NYLegalNewbie

I think a small or moderate degree of breakage is normal, especially if you comb your hair.

No matter how healthy hair is, it can only withstand so much stress from daily wear and tear. Some strands just eventually give. But that doesn't mean you should fret over it.

Compare your current level of breakage with past levels of breakage. Also, take note of the overall health of your hair.

Is your hair thicker? Is it retaining length? Does it feel moisturized?

If you answered yes to all of these questions but still get some breakage here and there, then I wouldn't be too worried. What you're experiencing is probably normal.

sweetgal

Thanks NY,

I love your explanation. This is what I'm looking for.

I do get breakage at times and I worry soo much, now I know it's normal

Cleve_gryl

I think a small or moderate degree of breakage is normal, especially if you comb your hair.

No matter how healthy hair is, it can only withstand so much stress from daily wear and tear. Some strands just eventually give. But that doesn't mean you should fret over it.

Compare your current level of breakage with past levels of breakage. Also, take note of the overall health of your hair.

Is your hair thicker? Is it retaining length? Does it feel moisturized?

If you answered yes to all of these questions but still get some breakage here and there, then I wouldn't be too worried. What you're experiencing is probably normal.
ITA, if I compare my level of breakage now to pre LHCF its amazing. When I used to blowfry my hair, I'd have tiny pieces all over the sink, floor and my shoulders when I'd comb it. :ohwell:

newflowers

ITA, if I compare my level of breakage now to pre LHCF its amazing. When I used to blowfry my hair, I'd have tiny pieces all over the sink, floor and my shoulders when I'd comb it. :ohwell:

This used to be me too. Now, it is no longer the case with the best and greatest difference being no breakage on my ends so I am retaining my length.

Right now, my problem with breakage comes from trying to stretch my relaxers. I find that I am breaking right at the line between the relaxed hair and new growth. While I think I am keeping my moisture/protein balance correct (it's working for the rest of my hair), that demarcation line is a problem after eight weeks no matter what I do. I just ordered my relaxer, so I can relax next week and get it over with - I'll try for stretching next time again - I can't seem to get it right.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I bet I will have some after I take these micros down:wallbash:..... But on the other hand, NO I dont have breakage unless its time for a relaxer or so. I dont do a lot of messing in my head.....:yep:

tricie

NYNewbie and Clevegirl hit the nail on the head; I still get some breakage, but not nearly as much since I have been on the forum and am babying my hair much more.

I do notice more breakage when I stretch relaxers; I am getting it done on the 15th (next week) and that will be 12weeks and one day; I won't stretch any further than that.

HTH!!

kiesha8185

I get 'normal' breakage after washing my hair, I need to be more gentle :look:. But I'm stretching right now and discovered that I have slight breakage on my hairline...maybe I'm not meant to stretch past 12 weeks.
I agree with both of your posts Cleve, I felt like I could have written this myself.

The only thing I have to add, is that I feel like I get more shedding than breakage. My hair is not losing thickness, but it is a little frustrating :perplexed

cocoberry10

I agree with NYLegalNewbie. Breakage will always be a battle, even when your hair is healthy.

For some people, their hair is "stronger" during certain times of the year and "weaker" during other times (for some, their hair is stronger in the summer, weaker in the winter and others it's the opposite). You have to learn your hair to prevent breakage. What it likes, what it dislikes, etc. Once you know, the breakage will be limited!

sareca

Rarely and I know exactly what to do when I see it so it doesn't last more than 24 hours.

atlien

I get breakage when I comb my hair......I say about 5 broken pieces yes I be counting and trying to find them suckers....I use to get all paranoid when I saw a broken piece of hair, but now I just let it be because I know I am practicing good hair care and the breakage seem to be under control. I think if you are putting chemicals in your hair, you are bound to get some breakage.

Last edited:

sweetgal

thanks for sharing ladies

Sarcera-What do you do when you get breakage? How do you change this within 24 hours. Curious minds want to know:yep:

Songbirdb

I voted sometimes. I notice sometimes when I'm washing my hair, my hair snags on my nails... no matter how many times I file them! But other than that, I see some breakage when I flat iron or rollerset thats why I've limited that stuff. Thank goodness for LHCF Bootcamp!

SleekandBouncy

No, at least not significantly. I cut off all the over processed hair. Even before then I went from extreme breakage to much less. I increased the healthy oils in my diet, did a protein treatment once a week, and a moisturizing deep conditioner on the regular. All of those things had a huge impact. I haven't had major breakage in 2 years.

Cleve_gryl

I agree with both of your posts Cleve, I felt like I could have written this myself.

The only thing I have to add, is that I feel like I get more shedding than breakage. My hair is not losing thickness, but it is a little frustrating :perplexed
I was a chronic shedder this summer, I mean globs would come out during my comb out in the shower...I was scared, I thought I was going to go bald!! But once the cooler weather hit, it went back to normal...so, maybe its just seasonal shedding your experiencing?

kiesha8185

I was a chronic shedder this summer, I mean globs would come out during my comb out in the shower...I was scared, I thought I was going to go bald!! But once the cooler weather hit, it went back to normal...so, maybe its just seasonal shedding your experiencing?

I don't know :nono: The last two winters I had kinky twists so I didn't really get a chance to compare it to the summertime.

The shedding has tremendously decreased since Ayurveda, but sometimes I actually feel a strand or two coming out of my scalp....is that normal :nono: Also, one thing I was a little scared about was that I seemed to be shedding more than normal. But since my hair is growing, the hairs are longer, so it seems like its more shedding than it really is.

MissMasala5

My rare breakage seems to come from the split ends that I miss during S&Ds. The weaker split hair snaps off very easily. I am currently stretching and have not seen the usual breakage I would get before, thanks to increased number of weekly DC's (I do 3 per week), Indian oils prepoos, daily moisture and regular protein treats.

MissMasala5

I don't know :nono: The last two winters I had kinky twists so I didn't really get a chance to compare it to the summertime.

The shedding has tremendously decreased since Ayurveda, but sometimes I actually feel a strand or two coming out of my scalp....is that normal :nono: Also, one thing I was a little scared about was that I seemed to be shedding more than normal. But since my hair is growing, the hairs are longer, so it seems like its more shedding than it really is.

Thank you for posting that.

growinstrong

yes, I get breakage. I comb once a week (on wash days) and on those days I can see anywhere from 10-20 broken strands after detangling before shampoo and after DC. Is this normal?

Cleve_gryl

yes, I get breakage. I comb once a week (on wash days) and on those days I can see anywhere from 10-20 broken strands after detangling before shampoo and after DC. Is this normal?
That seems like alot to me Growinstrong. I'll get like 2-3 broken strands on wash day, but maybe its like shedding...since you only manipulate once a week, you'll see what you'd normally get all week? :look:

growinstrong

oh wow. Are you getting 2-3 broken hairs every time you comb or just on wash days. I hope its like shedding because I get nothing during the week. My hair is up in a protective style all week, but when it comes time to wash, I detangle before washing and maybe see 5-6 broken strands and then after rinsing out my conditioner and detangling, I see maybe another 7-10 broken strands. I hope this is normal :perplexed. My shedding is very minimal and if I'd had to guess, its about 100 strands coming out for the whole week.

That seems like alot to me Growinstrong. I'll get like 2-3 broken strands on wash day, but maybe its like shedding...since you only manipulate once a week, you'll see what you'd normally get all week? :look:

mnemosyne

I said sometimes. When I stretch my relaxers no matter how much I want to convince myself all the hair that comes out is shed I will periodically go through and check for the little bulbs that would mean the hair was shed and they're not always there.

I was scared that I'd lost so much hair from breakage every time I'd see the strands that were at one line of demarcation (I kind of had 2, pre phyto to phyto and phyto to new growth) It seemed to turn out all right anyway but you know when you watch the stylist blow dry your hair and you see the short ones growing back that kind of stick up from static. So I hope not too much of that is breakage.

Also my hair tangles if you look at it funny (though I hope the porosity control and other things that I'm using have helped that). It's not like I have all that much to begin with (density) so every strand is precious.

JustKiya

I still get breakage - not NEARLY as much as I used to (which really, was mostly caused by pure mechanical damage + me being dumb), but I still have little pieces breaking off, esp. as I'm trying to comb through to get all the shed hairs so that I can tame the tangles....

I wanna hear Sareca's secret to breakage-free hair too - she mentioned that in another thread..... :look: ......