Do you straighten your hair before you relax it?

Do you straighten your NG before you relax it?

• Yes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 101 81.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoSweet08

Do you straighten your roots a week or so before you relax it?

If so, how do you straighten it (rollers, flat iron, blow dryer, and etc..)?

Just curious...

DaDragonPrincess

I never do a relaxer AND flat iron, I do one or the other. Thats too much relaxer and flat iron. On the weeks of my shampoo and conditioner I flat iron my hair, but not after I get relaxer.

SoSweet08

I was wondering because everytime I see someone getting their hair relaxed the roots look straight. So I figured it's still straight from the last time they got it done. I swear my hair is the hardest to deal with for my stylist.

ekomba

Do you straighten your roots a week or so before you relax it?

If so, how do you straighten it (rollers, flat iron, blow dryer, and etc..)?

Just curious...

i did once and breakage, breakage, breakage... i dont know why each time i try to straighten new growth with flat iron it reverts back. i just realized my hair hates the flat iron but loves the dominican blow out specially when they only do roots on permed hair but live the curls from the rollerset it s less stress specially if you gonna perm in one week.

it s not worth the damage i usually do the blow out the same day of the relaxer but no more flat irons. i had to do two intense protein treatments in a 2 weeks intervalle to bring my hair back to life and excape chopping ends hehe:perplexed:grin:

SoSweet08

Dang, you scared me lol. I'll stay away from it.

I finally got my NG to be managable..I can make a part with a comb and i'm good. But, when my stylist use those applicator brushes, and use the pointy end to part my hair...it hurts like crazy.

I'm going to ask her next time if she can go a little slower or something because it really hurts. At first I thought it was my NG being so dry and rough but now that's under control...it's only when she uses that pointy thingy lol. I tried it on my head and I tried to go a little fast and it was hurting. But if I go slow it doesn't hurt but it takes mad long.

ajacks

If the roots are straight there is probably no distinct difference between the new growth and the previously relaxed hair, therefore you risk the chance of overlapping and causing damage. I guess detangling would be ok to prevent the stylist from ripping through the new growth carelessly, but the less manipulation to the scalp the better.

GeauXavi

i do...not immediately before, but usually the wash before...otherwise, my ends stick together like dredlocks while I am trying to part for the relaxer...and THAT alone causes breakage from the manipulation/matting:rolleyes: My roots are always reverted by the time i actually relax bc i work out about 3-4x a week... my hair is ALWAYS a mess by the time i relax!!!

SoSweet08

If the roots are straight there is probably no distinct difference between the new growth and the previously relaxed hair, therefore you risk the chance of overlapping and causing damage. I guess detangling would be ok to prevent the stylist from ripping through the new growth carelessly, but the less manipulation to the scalp the better.

Haha Yea that was my next question if someone was to answer yes. How would u prevent overlapping from doing this?

SoSweet08

i do...not immediately before, but usually the wash before...otherwise, my ends stick together like dredlocks while I am trying to part for the relaxer...and THAT alone causes breakage from the manipulation/matting:rolleyes: My roots are always reverted by the time i actually relax bc i work out about 3-4x a week... my hair is ALWAYS a mess by the time i relax!!!

So would you say by the time you relax, your ng is basically straighten still but thicker/puffier from your relaxed ends which makes it easier for you to tell your ng from your relax hair while relaxing it?

GeauXavi

when I straighten... i can never fully get my newgrowth straight anyway:grin:...by the time i relax, my previously relaxed hair is still straight/untangled and my ng is fully reverted (kinky/curly/puffy 4a/3c)... if that makes sense...

LiLi

Dang, you scared me lol. I'll stay away from it.

I finally got my NG to be managable..I can make a part with a comb and i'm good. But, when my stylist use those applicator brushes, and use the pointy end to part my hair...it hurts like crazy.

I'm going to ask her next time if she can go a little slower or something because it really hurts. At first I thought it was my NG being so dry and rough but now that's under control...it's only when she uses that pointy thingy lol. I tried it on my head and I tried to go a little fast and it was hurting. But if I go slow it doesn't hurt but it takes mad long.

My hairdresser used to do the same freakin thing. Not only did it hurt, all of that tugging and crap made me burn something awful. I always had burns all over my head. I am so glad that I do it myself now. They go so fast because they have to have the relaxer in and smoothed within the specified time (totally understandable) as well as move on to that next client (unfortunately).

What you should do is find a good conditioner that will keep your new growth soft for several days and completely detangle your hair 72 hours before your appointment.

tasty0619

i voted no...i never do, i self-relax, and i need to see a distinct difference(esp in the back) btwn relaxed ends and NG, that way i won't overlap and all that good stuff...plus sometimes my NG is different lengths on different parts of my head so i can't jus say i have 2 inches all around..ya know

GodsGrace

I blow dry mine a week before as well to make it easier to part come relaxer day. I didn't do it this recent relaxer though, and it was a bit of a struggle to part. I don't usually blowdry anyway, only before relaxer to prevent all the pulling and tugging trying to base my scalp. And my newgrowth doesn't get straight so it's still easy to tell it from the rest of my hair.

SelfStyled

I flat iron just the new growth only. The reason I do that is because my hair has low porosity, and is difficult to process. By me straightening the NG it is helping the relaxer to process my NG. I have tried both ways, and I get a better touch up if I lightly flat iron the NG. I do just one pass with the temp on 5.

GeauXavi

I blow dry mine a week before as well to make it easier to part come relaxer day. I didn't do it this recent relaxer though, and it was a bit of a struggle to part. I don't usually blowdry anyway, only before relaxer to prevent all the pulling and tugging trying to base my scalp. And my newgrowth doesn't get straight so it's still easy to tell it from the rest of my hair.

:yep:exactly the same for me... otherwise my newgrowth HURTS to part, and my ends are literally stuck together, and the combo for me=breakage/burning during processing:wallbash: That being said... everything ain't for everybody:look: my newgrowth is always back to its happy go lucky self by the time i relax, its really the ends of my hair and my scalp that benefit from flatironing the week before...

Simply_Kelz

Not at all, I actually had a dominican blowout last week, and relaxed this weekend, so I put my hair in 4 sections, wet it, and waited a day for it to dry before relaxing. Any other way is just asking for overlapping when I do it.

SouthernDimps

I do...but I am rarely able to get my new growth to be completely straight. I usually flat iron my hair the wash before my relaxer and hit the gym so the sweat will let my roots revert to their natural state. Because I co-wash and do braid-outs 90% of the time, my hair is never really fully detangled and it's hard to determine what is new growth and and what is relaxed when I have a braid-out. So when I straighten my hair, workout and sweat, my stylist can truly see where my new growth meets my relaxed hair

loveable37

I washed my hair friday
satusday morning i flat iron it cause i had a party attend
sunday which is LABOR DAY PERFORM MY RELAXER RETOUCH whiles my husband barberque (yes)it burn the mess out of me.

Blessed_Angel

I agree.

My hair will come out straight anyway, so I wouldn't recommend doing anything to make it "straighter". :nono:

In fact, I don't get burned during a relaxer anymore because I'm more gentle with my hair, and I gently brush my edges.

TLC1020

No I don't straighten my hair before I relax it :nono:, I wash my hair and let it air dry then a day or two later I do my touch-up.