Do you straighten your hair before you relax it?

Do you straighten your NG before you relax it?

• Yes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 101 81.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TaurusAngel

I do. I wash about 3 or 4 days before i get my relaxer and i wash and flat iron. I don't do it the day before, I don't think anyone should do that. but i do flat iron before i relax.

Optimus_Prime

No. I will continue to rollerset (rollersetting challenge) right up to my relaxer. I rollerset every 5 days. Sometimes I flat iron the roots, sometimes I leave it alone. I definitely wont straighten the roots before my touch up.

longhairlover

uh no, I don't straighten my roots, if I did I wouldn't know where the newgrowth is..........?

i'll either airdry my hair or rough blowdry my hair but not focusing/straightening the roots at all, I need the newgrowth to be prominent in order to relax properly.

LushLox

No I don't straighten, but my stylist can be lethal on my NG when she is trying to part the hair. :nono:

The next time I touch up I'm going to wash and rollerset my hair 24 hours before I relax. This way my NG, in theory should be more manageable.

JJamiah

My stylist says not to straighten my new growth so she doesn't over lap, I wait 4-6 months in between relaxers so the new growth can vary!

royalty84

I ALWAYS brow dry and flat iron my hair about 5-6 days before a relaxer, because if I don't, oh boy...

It's worked out great for me, and I don't have to deal with the painful tugging when trying to part my hair during the relaxing process.

KinkyGenius

Why would you even do that though? Like I'm really trying to understand why a person would manually straighten their hair just to chemically straighten it afterwards.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
No, because I want the stylist to have a better distinction between my roots, and previous relaxed hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Detangling my hair, yes.
But straightening it.....not seeing the logic there I guess.
I'm on the fence about this but haven't carried through with it yet. But to answer why (for me), it would prevent the ng from being so unruly. I would spritz it with a little water so that it can wave back up slightly so that the ng can be seen.

ETA: I went to the salon with thick, coarse ng before and it didn't turn out so well. i.e., breakage.

Last edited:

Carisa

No. I usually wash my hair and apply infusium 23 and nexxus humectress conditioner as a leave in when wet and put my hair in about four large braids 3-4 days before relaxing it. When its time for me to relax it is easy to comb the braids out and relax it in sections. It took a long time but I finally figured out this is the best way to do it for my hair. Taking those braids down are a breeze and makes relaxing easy for me.

baglady215

I'm going to try this next time. I think it will help me get a straighter result. I smooth so much and my hair still doesn't get straight. If it's straight to begin with, smoothing should be more effective.

I will flat iron the wash before and use minimal products until relaxer day.

UniquelyDivine

My stylist actually does this, I was confused on how she would be able to tell the difference between the two textures but she did a great job. The end result was very nice.

baglady215

I think I'm going to *just* flat iron the roots. Then I can easily tell the difference between my air dried hair and the flat ironed roots. Maybe the night before?

It's funny that this thread was bumped up today because this idea popped in my head last night...

LushLox

No I don't straighten, but my stylist can be lethal on my NG when she is trying to part the hair. :nono:

The next time I touch up I'm going to wash and rollerset my hair 24 hours before I relax. This way my NG, in theory should be more manageable.

This really worked! I self relaxed so I wanted the process to be as straightforward as possible. I set the hair on rollers the night before, so whilst the NG wasn't straight, it was manageable and soft and I was able to part the hair very easily. This is a winner for me! :yep:

H0tPinkButtafly

I don't do this but I think I will try roller setting my hair a few days before relaxing next time. My roots never get straight when I roller set so it might be easier

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

sunnieb

I don't use direct heat, so my answer is no.

I think I will try to rollerset a few days prior to relaxing just to loosen the ng up a bit so I can get through it easier.

Majestye

I absolutely don't straighten, I self texlax and it's easier to see and feel my new growth unmanipulated.

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
This last relaxer I did and my hair came out very very straight. I like it bone straight or close to so I don't mind. It also allowed me to apply the relaxer much faster this way.