Do you think Dreadlocks are unappealing on SOME women

Do you think dreadLocks are unappealing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kayanna1212

Hmm i know this may get bad comments about this thread.
But i want to express how i feel about DreadLocks:pullhair: lol
Soo i think some dreadlocks look nasty they look so dirty but thats only one some people That ive seen with nasty looking sclap and locks.

So the POLL Q is:Do you think Dreadlocks are unappealing on some women?
All Comments and Replys are welcome ... :sleeptogether:

Cherokee-n-Black

You know, if anyone takes issue, it's probably going to be just on how you phrased it. Poorly maintained hair, whether locked or permed to death, is going to be unappealing on anyone.

pookaloo83

Every woman that I've seen had nice looking dreads. Kept them neat and clean. Dreads can be unappealing on anybody if you don't take care of them and let them clump up. I hate to see dreads like that. I won't say they look dirty.

Cherokee-n-Black

Every woman that I've seen had nice looking dreads. Kept them neat and clean. Dreads can be unappealing on anybody if you don't take care of them and let them clump up. I hate to see dreads like that. I won't say they look dirty.

I can't say every woman I've seen had nice ones, but very many. I know of one woman who used to be on the Soap Opera One Life to Live, OMG wanna talk about some gorgeous dreads! And just yesterday (why oh why wasn't my camera phone handy???) I saw a lady with ANKLE LENGTH dreds--it was a sight to behold, and they looked clean and so well-maintained, I was in awe...I can't even begin to imagine how she keeps them clean or moisturized but I am not exagerrating one iota!

lilsparkle825

I have seen good ones and bad ones. I also have not ruled out the possibility of getting them one day in the future. When Angela Davis came to speak here a few months ago, another professor came with her. She had classic length dreads and they were GORGEOUS. You shoulda seen me trying to sneak a pic...lol

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
What I'm about to say doesn't apply to folks i've seen online or on fotki because within the hairboard communities people with locs seem to stay on top of their ish.

However, in MY real life experience, nicely maintained locs whether its men or women are the exception not the rule.

The biggest culprit are locs that are so thirsty that they appear dusty. Sorry but 'permies' aren't the only ones offline who believe water is bad for their hair. :wink2:

That said, when I see nice locs I make a point to compliment the person.

pookaloo83

DH has dreads. As soon as they start looking funky I say 'Go wash your hair.' Then I do a DC on him and twist them up. I try to do that about every 2 weeks.

Solitude

Most people I see with locks maintain them well & they look nice. A guy friend of mine had locs that smelled wonderful and were soft to the touch, as well as clean and neat. My friend said that when he was growing up he hated locks because all he ever saw were poorly maintained ones, but he takes very good care of his.

The main thing that I don't get is when I see older men and women whose hairlines are starting to recede and they still have pounds of hair pulling on their scalp, worsening the problem. That looks terrible, IMO.

The only "nasty-looking" locks I've seen are on street people, who have other issues.

Last edited:

Bachelorette

I only know 2 women with dreadlocks that I find to be nice. For the most part, dont like the look and i especially hate it on men. *shrugs*

DarkVictory

It's like any other style; they won't look good if the person hasn't worked out how to care for them, or is taking bad advice.

Pandora1975

Dreads, just like any other hair style, will not look good on everyone. Upkeep not withstanding, the style in itself may not be flattering. Not knocking dreads though, so don't blast me.

winnettag

I think sisterlocs look good on anyone.

But for the regular locs, they have to be maintained very well to look good on the person, and I like when they add a little flava and color them.

PerplexingComplex

I don't think so. I have more of a preference for cultured locs, but that doesn't mean that freeform locs are unappealing. I'm sure others may like it, if I don't.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I love locs. :love: Manicured, free form, braidlocs, sisterlocs, whatever. Never seen a set I didn't like on a black woman. White folks on the other hand . . .:look:

whitedaisez

Hmm i know this may get bad comments about this thread.
But i want to express how i feel about DreadLocks:pullhair: lol
Soo i think some dreadlocks look nasty they look so dirty but thats only one some people That ive seen with nasty looking sclap and locks.

So the POLL Q is:Do you think Dreadlocks are unappealing on some women?
All Comments and Replys are welcome ... :sleeptogether:

oh yes. a lot of dem r def nasty.:yep: especially we it looks dusty, flaky and not regularly groomed.

MummysGirl

Any hair is unappealing when unkempt. Yes some people have dreads hanging off 2 or more inches of undreaded or unloced roots and it looks and smells like they haven't been cleaned for months BUT I have seen some locs both IRL and online that look really clean and almost like box braids or twists from afar.

This same question should apply to ALL kinds of hair because I have seen:
1.Weaves with almost ALL tracks showing or in a completely different colour or texture to the hair being left out - unappealing to me
2. Braids/Twists that should have been taken out at least 3 months ago - not cute (to me!)
3. People with overprocessed (I mean bleached, coloured beyond reason and relaxed too many times) hair trying to do some "quirky" styles - unappealing
4. Natural hair that is obviously not well taken care of and which makes people believe that the only way natural hair will ever look is rough and uncared for - unappealing.

Last edited:

discodumpling

I love ALL dreads as long as they are clean...from the bongo dread to those who wear them simply for fashionable reasons! I may have a cultural bias though...

AfroKink

I love ALL dreads as long as they are clean...from the bongo dread to those who wear them simply for fashionable reasons! I may have a cultural bias though...

I totally agree. Any hair style (relaxed, natural, weave, wigs, locs) will look bad if it's not maintained and dirty. So I dont understand why you're asking the question. It's like asking, "do you think relaxed hair is unappealing on SOME women... when they dont care for it properly, looks like they haven't washed in months, have dandruf and flakes...? well, yes.

I will also say that for 'fashion dreds', like twists, the appeal will vary by the size of the loc and the style they are put into. Not every loc style looks good on every body like how not every straight style looks good on everybody

I didnt even bother to vote

Lys

CurliDiva

Something about dreads just seems masculine to me.........but I agree that any style if not maintained will look horrible. :nono:

NikStarrr

I actually prefer locs on women then men. I think locs are beautiful. I have yet to see a woman who's locs looked "nasty" or unkempt. More so, men I've seen tend to be a little lax on the maintenance of them.

Eluv

Funny because I grew up in Miami and I was accustom to seeing locs and for the most part, I thought they were ugly, primarily because they were not up kept.

I have several family members with locs half of them take care of them and the other half don’t.

IMO locs look good on anyone who takes care of them.

Would I ever get locs? Nope, but I love playing in my sister pretty locs.