Do you think Dreadlocks are unappealing on SOME women

Do you think dreadLocks are unappealing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dommo

I not the biggest fan of locks but some people look better in them than others. Just like braids or twists( everyone doesnt look good wearing them even if it is a natural style) What I don't like are the dry, funky looking locks that look as though they smell and haven't been washed in months. Also, the short baby locks only look good on people who have the face for short hair,IMO...

andromeda

To answer the question posed by the OP:

Yes, dreadlocks that aren't well-maintained are unappealing on most everyone.

To answer the question posed in the thread title:
Yes, dreadlocks are unappealing on some people, or should I say, less appealing on some than others. I think that dreadlocks tend to be appealing on women with very feminine facial features or strong bone structure/features. I think dreadlocks are visually perceived as giving less leeway to the wearer's face than other styles, so the style can be unbecoming on some who might otherwise be deemed "attractive" when donning other styles.

JollyGal

Every person I have seen with dreads looks after them. There is a lot of cultural history behind dreadlocks that has crossed many many boards (or many rivers - jimmy cliff). I think dreads are awesome but not for my hair.

It's also really good to see locs on the runway and being embraced by many ethnicities and sub cultures

A lot of people think dreads are dirty I haven't got a clue why...dreadheads still wash their hair. Maybe it's because of the polish plait...which is seen as a disease of the hair...

jerjer29

lol that's like asking does a middle part look good on everyone, of course not. Lots of people have hairstyles that don't look as good on them as another hairstyle or option would. So yes, of course some women and men with dreads don't look that great with them. Also i think some people grow out of hairstyles, like their hairstyle has reached a length that no longer suits them, it's not styled quite right or they've just aged or changed look wise and the look no longer fits them. Maxwell for instance, he's aged, and he's older and dreads just no longer look as good on him as his fade does now. Well..now that i think about it..i'm not sure what you could consider Maxwell's hair..lol it was kind of like dreads is what he said in one interview.

Lost of men and women where i live have dreadlocks, and they stay on top with it. So i guess in my area, to me dreads are more appealing because i see them on all types of people, and they're also really neat so i don't have this pre-conceived notion, or associate with a particular stereotype. The only real stereotype i have is, most of the time on campus, if a guy has dreads, he's a football player. that's about it lol

Oh well, i hope my comment was on track with the topic. But i definitely think some people look great with dreads.

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
I have seen some gorgeous dreadlocks on women and I've seen some that look like they got into a fight with a comb and gave the hell up. As a matter of fact I saw a woman last week who had the most captivating locks. In a ponytail, they came beneath her rear end, they were long and even. Mostly when I see anyone with really long locks, they are uneven and there is one scraggly extra long one that looks like it may break off if the wind blows too hard. I actually had a great convo with a lady at Lush about her hennaing her locks. I'm going back to see her result this week. Her's were beautiful, even and well taken care of.

well...
:lachen:

goldielocs

To the OP, no hairstyle is for everyone, so sure- there are some people who don't look good with locs.

Part of the problem is a general dislike for hairstyles that don't have a "scalpy" look to them. I've experienced this attitude from all sides- relaxed, natural and loced.

My locs are 7 years old and they have been palmed rolled, latched and now I freeform. They get washed about every 3 days and are quite clean. The problem I've noticed is people not liking them because they aren't "maintained" or "cultivated."

Over manipulation hurts all types of hairstyles including locs so if someone chooses to skip tightening up for awhile consider it like some wearing a bun for 6 months. Maybe they need to let their hair rest...

Think about it...she may be tired of looking at that same bun on your head just as much as you may be tired of seeing her new growth....

diadall

I don't think locks are unappealing in general but on some women they may be. I don't think locks alone would be the only reason a woman would be considered unappealing.

But it also depends on an individuals eye for beauty.

Last edited:

nappi

i think it depends on whether or not the person takes care of thier hair

ive seen some dreads that just look nasty and others that look great

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Wow, her locs are freeform:

prettybyrd

The only time I ever saw locks and thought that they were unappealing was when I saw them on a woman who allowed the locks to break off in places, the hair at the scalp was extremely puffy, and just generally unkempt. Not like free form locks - but more like cultured locks that she stopped caring for. But then her appearance was generally the same as her locks.

I don't think it was the locks as much as it was her unwillingness to keep her hair healthy that made me grimmace. She probably would have had a bad looking perm or weave too. ... Speaking of which - whenever I see women with over-processed, thinning, wispy weak permed hair and awful weaves, I feel like :nono:

It's not just locks, ANY hair can be unappealing on someone

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
yes, but no more so than some of the damaged relaxed hair, tore up weaves, and poorly applied lace front's that I saw at the club last night. I entertained myself all night just looking at bad hairstyles, lol.

andromeda

Absolutely gorgeous! People should note the difference bw carefully styled/sized locs, freeform locks that are well-maintained, and hair allowed to matte and loc without proper or any care [a la Homeless Hakeem on your local street corner]

DivaD04

y'all remember dookie braids?
yes?
well when they get the size of dookie braids, they gotta go! i think the ones(in width) that are like my pinky fingernails are so cute. when you get these big-o chunky locs in or-or if you're leaning over towards more masculine features.....i think they become less appealing to me. and if they have strings in.....:nono:
otherwise they can look cute!

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Like others said, any hairstyle can be unappealing on anyone.
The only time I think they look bad is when they are not maintained properly. Too many people fall into the trap of thinking when they are natural period that they can slack on the maintenance. The people I know with locs care for them meticulously and they are beautiful. My cousin's locs are lovely and I love the rodded styles she wears. My personal favorite are sisterlocks. I know a woman with wl+ ones and they are absolutely beautiful and they can be styled like a relaxed style. It looks better than a lot of people's relaxers.

tocktick

All types of unkempt (dirty, very dry-looking, tangled up etc) hair are unappealing no matter who it belongs to.

Raspberry

I have locs and I agree that like any other hairstyle they're not for everyone. I also think every woman has a signature hair style that is the most flattering on her. I've seen some women with bone straight hair that didn't fit their features but big curly hair was amazing on them and vice versa.

On me personally, long hair looks the best and pulled back styles are very flattering as well. People love my locs most when they are in loose curls/waves or pulled back in a simple ponytail or bun. Now that my locs are getting longer I feel the sexiest and happiest with my hair I've ever been. I feel like I ooze feminine allure.. sounds corny but it's true lol. I'm sure many prefer long shiny hair over long fuzzy hair, but I'm not all that concerned. I look good :)

A lot of women don't know what hairstyles look the best for their features - we should do a thread on that, I know I've seen recommendations online for general hairstyles based on your head shape, cheekbones, nose, etc.

Raspberry

This woman is gorgeous - what shocks me the most about her is when she opens her mouth - check out a youtube vid sometime.

I actually don't prefer the look of a lot of freeform locs (don't hate them, just not the best look IMO).. sounds crazy hypocritical considering I'm a locker .. I'd be run off NP for expressing that sentiment lol.

goldielocs

This woman is gorgeous - what shocks me the most about her is when she opens her mouth - check out a youtube vid sometime.

I actually don't prefer the look of a lot of freeform locs (don't hate them, just not the best look IMO).. sounds crazy hypocritical considering I'm a locker .. I'd be run off NP for expressing that sentiment lol.

It's one thing not to prefer a certain look, it's another thing to put a whole hairstyle on the chopping block. If you don't like it then you just don't like it.

I don't like the look of sisterlocs, but since they aren't in my head then it's not a big deal to me.

Raspberry

It's one thing not to prefer a certain look, it's another thing to put a whole hairstyle on the chopping block. If you don't like it then you just don't like it.

I don't like the look of sisterlocs, but since they aren't in my head then it's not a big deal to me.
Yea girl, I try to be patient but it does seem like blatant loc prejudice is still very much acceptable - and most of the time folks know little about them (guess you could say that for most black hair topics). The vast majority of women where I live have bad weaves and badly damaged, broken off hair that doesn't flatter their features at all, but if I were to say relaxers and weaves are ugly, bad, unfeminine, etc., folks would be up in arms.. and rightfully so.

I don't like most sisterlocs either, which is funny because when I was first considering locs that was the look I thought was most flattering. Now I'm glad I didn't go that route.

MonPetite

I think some women's personal style does not carry locs well. I don't think "locs" as a style are what makes something unappealing on someone.

For example, blond hair on a natural schwartzkopf like me, EVEN IF DONE WELL, will be "unappealing" if I don't have the CONFIDENCE, STYLE and AURA to carry off something as striking as that.

Locs are not as common as loose hair. They are striking. You must be able to "own" the locs so to speak.

It's like a fabulous dress "wearing you" instead of your "wearing the dress".

My long-winded point being...I don't think it's a matter of whether or not locs are "appealing or unappealing" it is whether a woman can carry them off well or not that makes them SEEM unappealing on certain women (where the same head of hair on another woman would look fabulous because it suits her well and she "works it").

I think locs are gorgeous myself, but I know I don't have the confidence to truly do them justice.

Now....a 3-foot wide BAA....STAND BACK! LOL!

Britt

I think neatly done shiny dreds look pretty good on some women. I went to a natural hair salon the other day and two women were in there getting thier dreds twisted... it looked good on them. Those are the only type of dreds that I think look good on people.

Bachelorette

Yea girl, I try to be patient but it does seem like blatant loc prejudice is still very much acceptable - and most of the time folks know little about them (guess you could say that for most black hair topics).

Isnt this a bit dramatic? Cant a person just not like something without being considered "ignorant"?

Anyway I also find multi colored weaves (esp red/blue etc) unappealing as well.

I would think people should be able to express their feelings on things without people making them seem like ignoran beings who dont get the "dread struggle"

Not everyone who dislikes dreads is a slave to relaxers/weaves.

remilaku

I love her hair. I know that you are not supposed to loc envy but I have it!!

I am trying to get my hair like that! my dreads will not be that big, but if I could free form my roots to get that full. Oh my Lord!!

Anyway, what is her name? I knew it once. She is my celebrity hair twin. I wish!!

Raspberry

Isnt this a bit dramatic? Cant a person just not like something without being considered "ignorant"?

Anyway I also find multi colored weaves (esp red/blue etc) unappealing as well.

I would think people should be able to express their feelings on things without people making them seem like ignoran beings who dont get the "dread struggle"

Not everyone who dislikes dreads is a slave to relaxers/weaves.

I said nothing of the sort - I don't experience "dread" struggle so I don't know what you mean by that. I never made a connection disliking locs and being a "slave" to relaxers and weaves either. I don't have a vendetta against other hairstyles. However a lot of people really are ignorant about loc maintenance.

My issue is that I've seen a lot of comments about dreads/locs on here that people would never make about loose haired naturals. Even if they don't care for loose natural hairstyles there still tends to general level of respect in the discourse.

Raspberry

I love her hair. I know that you are not supposed to loc envy but I have it!!

I am trying to get my hair like that! my dreads will not be that big, but if I could free form my roots to get that full. Oh my Lord!!

Anyway, what is her name? I knew it once. She is my celebrity hair twin. I wish!!

I used to know her name too, I'll have to find it and get back to you...