Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair better

Do you think expensive is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

Expensive is better most of the time but not all.

The foundation of my regimen is built from salon products (Joico, Paul Mitchell, Kenra, Mizani) but my auxiliary products I get at the bss or wal-mart (daily moisturizers, oils, etc.)

I figure that that as long as my intensive treatments have the best "technology" hair-wise, I'm good. Joico's approach to hair care (the science/art of healthy hair) gives me piece of mind.

Also I am willing to drop some $$ on moderately priced salon products b/c I don't go to the salon for anything :)

Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

I have expensive and cheap hair products if they are effective I buy.
I just bought Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Cleansing Rinse for $18.00,years ago I would never have spent $$ on a clarifying rinse.
I only have to use it once and it's very effective and time saving,I usually would have to wash my hair 3 times to get rid of buildup.
I think I am saving not have to buy as much clarifying poo in the long run.

It has been my experience that there is more consistency in quality products and many of the quality products I use for my hair are what some may consider 'expensive'. However, we must remember that what is perceived as expensive to one person may not be expensive at all to another.

When I buy my products like Aveda ,for example ,I buy directly from their salons or I buy directly from their site. I like Aveda simply because it works for me and my hair and I was using Aveda before I came to this board. I like their products and even use their skincare line. I buy what works for me and usually what works for me costs a little more. It's the same for any product that I use. I want to know that what I am using is the actual product that I paid for:yep:. I don't do knockoffs:nono:.

Realistically, most times, more expensive items have better ingredients and actually do what they claim to do. You are not throwing your money out of the window and you use much less to get great results. This isn't true all of the time because obviously everything isn't going to work for everyone but it's been my experience that 99% of the time you do not go wrong with the more expensive product. Whereas with the cheapie product it's a crapshoot...it may work..it may not and you lose a few dollars here or there..but really you are losing a lot over time because those few wasted dollars add up.

Now is that saying that I don't purchase cheap items? No, not at all. Again, I buy what works for me..expensive, mid-range, or 'cheap'. If it works I will buy it....if it doesn't I won't. I wouldn't use Aveda at all if it didn't work for me and I didn't like it. I wouldn't use a cheaper brand if it didn't work either. Also, I'm a little older than most here as well I think. So I've paid my dues to buy whatever I like and that feels good.:grin:

ITA- You do you and I'll do me.:yep:

for most things i think you get what you pay for. but at the same time i luv suave, mizani, keracare and HE. even hollywood beauty. its all about finding what works

the only expensive product i use is my mizani relaxer

I use whatever products work for me, but I will admit the best two blow outs I EVER got came from Phyto Universe and Ted Gibson salons in that order. They used minimal product too.

Here in Belgium most of the products are expensive : you pay about 45 US dollars for one bottle of Nexxus Humectress conditionner , 50 US dollarsfor Aphogee damaged hair ...We don't really have non expensive products you pay 7.5 US dollars for all the cholesterols : le Kair ,Queen Helen ...and here most of the time the most expensive is the best ..but it' s because cheap products here are not good for black hair .

I think how a product works depends on the condition and health of your hair and also the steps you do before you use that product.

To answer the question, my first LHCF purchase was the nexxus line and Lacio Lacio. Now Im using cheapies, CON shampoo, CON conditioner, ORS PAk and Kemi Oyl. I dont have a leave-in anymore I just dilute a little ORS pak and leave it on my head.

I stopped using Lacio Lacio because the new USA version has no mink oil, which I think makes all the difference, It was the second or third ingredient. But I have my local BSS ordering some of thei HE LTR leave-in. Im gonna see if that a keeper. Oh and I use Emergencee as a prtein treatment, which is expensive, so i will try Aphogee next.

I don't know about expensive, but I mostly use professional products. My Mom who works in a salon has always encouraged me to do so. Since she's licensed I have easy access. According to my Mom, you'll get better results...so that's why I've always used them.

I think it just depends on how your hair reacts to the product.

Nexxus does nothing for my hair.

Schwarzkopf Oil Nutritive does wonders, and it's a "cheaper" product for me to use at home.

On the other hand, Kerastase has never failed me. But I also love MNT detangler.

It all depends.

Expensive is better most of the time, but not all

My Leave-ins are always a higher quality from Redken/Joico to Aveda. But my co-washes are always cheapies as I use so much each day (daily-cowasher).

That said the right cheap products with the knowledge to use it properly and add necessary ingredients like oil, honey, eggs, or other more expensive products can go quite a ways as well. Not all "expensive" products are equal. The same can be said of "cheapies". Vatika oil, at my local Indian Grocery is $4 but it's a miracle in a bottle for dry hair!

Redken's Smooth Down Butter Treatment however saves me daily (or weekly, depending on my regimen).

Again, I think the way cheap/expensive products are used, the needs of one's regimen and the user's knowledge combine to make cheap or expensive products "better".

I voted that expensive is better but not all because, I bought quite a few high end products that did absolutely nothing for my hair. Some of those products are Elucence moisturizing conditioner, Keracare humecto, Nexxus humectin and Nexxus humectress. I love Suave humectant though. This is just a sample of some of the products that were considered by most as expensive but did nothing for my hair.

Expensive is not necessarily better :nono: I think it has more to do with the ingredients. Some expensive products that were used on my hair in the salon and it was not the best for my hair texture I don't care how much the product cost.

Expensive is better most of the time, but not all

i think this is an ify...if you like the quality of a product and/or salon then i'd say it's wort the money especially when it comes to our hair care but even then if you can find the same product(s) and/or salon for a lower price an even better then i'd say hey don't let my opinion stop a player...:look:

I think with hair products; expensive can be better depending on the product.

In regards to salons, expensive certainly isn't better. But it could depend on what you want done. I have a wash n set and touch-up better done at my cheap but efficient Dominicans. But if I wanted locs or a weave; I'd have to resort to an expensive Black salon.

No, not at all. I've bought expensive products that have done absolutely nothing for my hair and cheap products that have worked wonders. You just have to experiment and find products that work. Expensive doesn't equal better....It simply means that it's more expensive:nono::lachen:

I say, Expensive is better most of the time

I rotate between Mizani, Redken and Paul Mitchell and I have never been disappointed with the results. I also use Design Essentials shampoo (the best shampoo ever:love:) as my staple shampoo. I get salon quality results with these products and they keep my hair in great/healthy condition. I believe the quality is outstanding as they have great ingredients and are also very concentrated. With that said, a little goes a looong way with these products and it takes me forever to use up the products. So relatively speaking, I don't think the products are all that expensive because I'm sure I'd be paying more in the long run with cheaper products. JMO.

I say, Expensive is better most of the time

I rotate between Mizani, Redken and Paul Mitchell and I have never been disappointed with the results. I also use Design Essentials shampoo (the best shampoo ever:love:) as my staple shampoo. I get salon quality results with these products and they keep my hair in great/healthy condition. I believe the quality is outstanding as they have great ingredients and are also very concentrated. With that said, a little goes a looong way with these products and it takes me forever to use up the products. So relatively speaking, I don't think the products are all that expensive because I'm sure I'd be paying more in the long run with cheaper products. JMO.

I com-PULL-eatly agree. :yep: I use different products than you (Aveda, Kiehl's, Hot Sexy Hair, Joico, etc.) but with these salon name product I consistently get good results. Cheaper products are always hit and miss, so I have frequently ended up spending the same amount of money testing out cheaper products than if I just bought the expensive product from the get go. :wallbash: Also, as others have pointed out, expensive products tend to be more concentrated, so you do use less, and they last longer than a runny container of V05. :duck:

I consider expensive products to be near $20 and above. I use medium expensive products like VS So Sexy which is also concentrated and very moisturizing. I also wait and get things on sale (I bought numerous Aveda items during a store closing when they were 40% off, and you know good Aveda products hardly EVER go on sale). :rolleyes: I also got the Joico poo and con sets around Christmas when they were $15 for 3 full size products. So I paid a reasonable amount and still good a quality product. :grin:

IMO expensive is better most of the time. :yep:

Not neccessarily. Depends on personal tastes and what one values AND what one considers costly. :look:

If you only have $1.00 to your name, even a bottle of $.50 conditioner on the sale table would be costly. :yep:

Most, but not all, high end products do have extra uumph and thus it should for the price point.

I've fallen in love with inexpensive or "cheapie" brandes as we say, but with the higher end products that work for me, over time they deliver sustained, consistent performance.

In some cases the expensive products are better when you are actually getting better indgredients but most of the time it's only a small difference anyway.

In the end it's really just the consumer's preception. :ohwell:

All my staples are pretty cheap and long lasting.

Not neccessarily. Depends on personal tastes and what one values AND what one considers costly. :look:

If you only have $1.00 to your name, even a bottle of $.50 conditioner on the sale table would be costly. :yep:

Most, but not all, high end products do have extra uumph and thus it should for the price point.

I've fallen in love with inexpensive or "cheapie" brandes as we say, but with the higher end products that work for me, over time they deliver sustained, consistent performance.

TRUE!!!:yep:

My "high end" products like WEN & Ojon are "cheapie" products to someone who spends 200+bucks on a single hair product!

I use to think the more expensive something was the better the quality, but I was young and dumb then. I know now what I should be looking for and the more it costs the less fillers I expect to see on that ingredient list and more natural and beneficial ingredients. I've also learned I can make my own "high end" products that are all natural, work better, and cost pennies compared to paying $20/bottle of conditioner just because it has Paul Mitchell's name on the front.

To the OP, your friend is missing out, Creme of Nature is the bomb! And it's sulfate free.

The ingredients in the products are what really matters. Just because it is either cheap or expensive doesn't mean a thing either way. I use both ultra cheap (Vo5) and expensive (QB) products and I'm very satisfied with the products regardless of the prices.

As far as shampoo and conditioner go,I would have to say yes.For styling products/leave ins I don't see a big difference in the way they behave in my hair.When I was using cheaper things,I had to work twice as hard because those products don't aid me in detangling,smoothing,or softening my hair.I also go through the cheaper products faster where as the more expensive products are more concentrated so I don't need as much.As far as keraraste products,though?THEY SUCK.lol I also agree with whoever said that about "salon quality results".Its not just about technique,sometimes you have to let the products do the work for you.:yep:

The only thing about me using kera vs. silk elements or a drugstore brand is that I get spoiled and wat the good stuff all the time

Oh puh lease! Look at the bsl, mid-back, and waist length women on this baord who only use vo5, evoo or $1 indian products. There hair is doing JUST WONDERFUL without all that cost. I love Keracare which to my friends is expensive, but it works for me. I used vo5 the other day, and it worked just as well. If I had $5 to my name I know I can buy some vo5 con and poo and buy some basic dollar tree oil, and I would be okay on my haircare journey....but I like to spurlge anyway :drunk:

Oh puh lease! Look at the bsl, mid-back, and waist length women on this baord who only use vo5, evoo or $1 indian products. There hair is doing JUST WONDERFUL without all that cost. I love Keracare which to my friends is expensive, but it works for me. I used vo5 the other day, and it worked just as well. If I had $5 to my name I know I can buy some vo5 con and poo and buy some basic dollar tree oil, and I would be okay on my haircare journey....but I like to spurlge anyway :drunk:

ITA with the bolded

i cant remember what i said before:spinning: but now i think expensive is better for me. besides vo5 for co washes i cant go in cvs and buy anything that works better than my aveda, paul mitchell or redken.
but i also love aubrey organics and thats not that expensive.

When it comes to moisturizing conditioners and havey duty treatments I would say that in my peresonal opinion professional products and more importantly professional services are better than things you can get over teh counter. but everything else whatever works expensive or cheap I buy.

Back