Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair better

Do you think expensive is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PuffyBrown

Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

I think it depends on the product. There are some expensive products that work like crap on my hair as there are cheepies that work like crap...same thing vice versa there are some expensive products that work good and some cheap products that work good. I am more inclined to purchase the expensive products though when it comes to my DC's. I will say that for me cheaper products, with the exception of Organix and dominican conditioners do nothing for my hair unless I mixed it with another product. It just depends. My career keeps me way too busy and dont have time for trial and error.

There is a saying that you get what you pay for but some of that stuff is way OVER-PRICED.

I think that most people use a combination of both.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Re: Do you think expensive is better? Do costly products and salons make your hair be

It's a combination for me. I use redken and aveda, but I also use amla oil and coconut oil.

I tried cheaper products like suave several times, but they just laughed at my hair. :nono:

*Muffin*

It really depends. Not all products that are costly contain good ingredients for your hair, and likewise not all cheap products are bad for your hair. It's really a matter of knowing what ingredients are good and which ones aren't. Some products genuinely do cost more because they use higher quality ingredients, but with a lot of them you're just paying for the name.

spacetygrss

Sometimes. I think that ingredients matter more than price. I HAVE found that I've had better luck with professional products in the long run (cheapies work for a wash or two, then I have to start clarifying more often, adding oils/butters to them etc to get the same effect). I've also noticed that my professional products tend to last longer because they seem more concentrated (i.e. a bottle of Nexxus Humectress used to last for months, while the Suave version would be gone in a couple of weeks--my hair would drink it up like it was nothing).

chebaby

this may be my third time answering this all with a differing answer:lachen::look:. but i do really believe that for a good quality deepconditioner the more expensive the better. shampoos i think dont matter much.

ladylibra_30

i like more expensive products because the ingredients tend to be high-grade thus better, ihmo. some inexpensive products have fillers, low-grade ingredients, etc. however, i do know that decent hair products do exist that are inexpensive.

kurlybella

ohhh ohhh, lets see..

expensive perms and hair serums and sprays -- hair never made it past shoulder

negative!

cheap glycerin, FREE WATER, care free curl, and infusium -- wonderful super cheap moisturizer

suave humectant shampoo -- just as good as any other humectant

cantu leave in and salon condish -- i do think condish makes a difference.

= long apl hair when stretched natural

if you work smart with the right INGREDIENTS you can find the right products for not a lot of money, imo.

k.i.s.s. all day for me - i had to learn that the hard way. but everyone is different.

a nice pricey product is okay sometimes because it just may have that "thing" you need, but i like my hundai hair products because they work like a bently!! :lachen:

Last edited:

msde13

I have a relative with SL hair ( same length as me) that believes the more something cost, the better her hair will be

She would never use Cream of nature shampoo, or ORS paks, only Redken, Aveda, Rusk ect.
Never use Silk Elements or Optimum relaxer, only Affirm or Mizani

She would never go to a plane jane salon with lower prices, only high end ones

My opinion is, the ingrediets are what matter in the product, you can find an expensive product with worse ingredients than a $2 product, and when it comes to the salon, its the stylist that matters, not how much the building cost or how new their things are
What do you think?

Preach...I agree with ya...and have learned this as well...I have used all types of products based on reviews...and have found some expensive items to be worse than the cheapest...I would suggest doing some research on the ingredients...that has helped me out more than anything...

Ivonnovi

I used to be sold on the idea that $$$ means better product.

However it's not entirely true.

DrugStore Brand vs Salon: :grin: I used Nexus products back when it was a "Salon" product and a bit more costly. Now you can by their products at the Grocery stores.

Dollar Store buys: :nono: I will not do these, I expect the worst from these.

Gracie

It's about ingredients and technique

Barbara

Princess

It depends on what works with your hair texture. Nexxus Therappe doesn't work well on my hair (my stylist used it twice and that was it), but low priced items such as Cream of Nature Moisturizing/Detangling, Suave, Mane N Tail, and Lemon Fluff shampoos work very well.

The only expensive hair care products I have is Verifen Complex, which I've used for 10 years. Everything works well except the detangler (its okay), but Infusium 23 Leave In Treatment works a whole lot better (thanks to my stylist) and it costs a lot less. Motions Moisture Plus and Motions CPR conditioners work very well as deep conditioners.

Since my stylist likes the low priced items better, I will not replace my expensive hair care line.

Ignore my previous response which is displayed above.

I guess I'll hang onto my expensive products now, because my stylist recommended Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor for my hair which is $24.99 for a 16 ounce bottle, and I bought it.

Last edited:

MissNina

Libra Girl

Salon quality products work the best on my hair. It literally feels and acts different. I tried Suave and V05 a couple of times and my hair was horrible! I can use certain cheapies like HE LTR, Aphogee and some DCs. But for wash days, I only use Redken or Design Essentials (what my stylist uses). She uses DE relaxers as well. I used to not try the cheaper lines at all b/c I was "salon'd out". Up until a few months ago I NEVER did my hair myself. However, after I'm finished with all these products I have, I plan on being a strictly 2-3 line girl, period - DE and Redken...and maybe Nexxus which isn't too $$$.

I am not giving up my Pantene R&N mask, HE LTR or Aphogee 2 min/leave-in for any line though. :nono:

Lucky's Mom

Hmmm.

Stuff in the kitchen has worked best for me.
Salon stuff - trash....

MaryJane3000

I have a mix of cheap and mid-priced items... i haven't paid more then $15 for a hair product,I get fiberguard relaxer and thats just what works for me. I also use keracare products because they give me the desired look I want. A lot of pure natural products listed on here that I'd like to try like castor oil and coconut oil and shea butter I havent been able to find, but I do find that Redken's real control hair line works wonders for my hair especially my new growth, so I just stick with it. but i do use $2 cholestoral conditioners and gvp brand products. Id be happy to use cheaper stuff if it works but i find a lot of that has parabans and stuff you ladies say to stay away from lol

sky_blu

Nope! My mother is natural and her hair is growing like wildfire using any products and doing nothing to her hair. Im spending dollar after dollar on my natural products and Im not getting good results for the long term. Errgghhh! This is frustrating Im going back to basic products with sulfates and all that other stuff they keep saying not to get.

LABETT

I will pull out the cheap $2.19 Hair Rep (old school) anytime and get good results vs using the high end Chi Silk Infusion.
The hair was long and thick back in the day with Hair Rep.:look: :yep:

Ronnieaj

I didn't vote but I keep a mix. I'm primarily low-mid end, I grew up on CON and Infusium 23, some lottabody and magnetic rollers, so I'm not used to paying a lot. I had APL length hair and my mom goes between BSL and MBL, depending on her mood. My granny, 81, has WL and has used Vo5 for as long as I can remember! I do use some higher end products, Aveda on occasion, Joico when I straighten, stuff like that. I love my Aubrey Organics conditioners, which work great. But I've found, like Lucky's mom, that a lot of great stuff comes from my kitchen! I just say do what works for your hair, whether it be expensive or not. We'll all appreciate it either way! :grin:

taz007

I found that the more expensive products work best for my hair. Actually just two:

1. JOICO
  2. PhytoSpecific
Although I do have some inexpensive products that I use as well such as EVOO.

I am always on the lookout for inexpensive solutions but these products are working for me and I am not "fixing" it.

t23luvgod

I believe it matters more on the ingredients that the price

nysister

Whatever works for your hair is best. For some people it might be more expensive items, for others cheaper, for other natural. Ingredients matter most, but sometimes there might be more of certain ingredients in expensive products.

Personally I go for natural and cheap. If my hair is going to consistently cost me $300 a month on products (what I've been spending) then I can't afford to keep it and I'm shaving myself bald. LOL

ladylibra

I would love to do an experiment which consists of putting an ORS pack in a bottle of Aveda to see how many people would be able to identify a difference in the way it conditions their hair.

I have done this experiment actually, but with food. Most people can't tell the difference between a name brand and a generic brand - not even me, and I have a great palate. ;) The only 2 things I got right were name brand Oreo's (sorry, but the generic chocolate sandwich cookies just don't compare) and Coke vs. Pepsi vs. generic cola (I could tell all 3 apart).

I'd be willing to bet that most people can't tell the difference between name brand salon producs and generics as well. :yep: Now for us, with what we know about our hair, we'd be able to tell. Just like my hair loves V05 conditioners but freaks out over Suave... :lol:

outspokenwallflower

Wow, what an interesting thread. I found myself really debating this for awhile! I have 'high end' and 'low end' products in my stash, and when I go to salons, it's not high end, pricey ones, but except for one or two, they've had a mix of pricey and cheaper brands and still managed to do a good job.

Some of my cheaper items do the same job if not better than more expensive ones, whereas, some more expensive brands have more variety in terms of products that can do certain things for your hair or that have certain ingredients that cheaper ones don't have. And IN MY OPINION, when it comes to flat irons and hair dryers, price definitely matters...I was the girl just months ago trying to act like my Gold n Hot flat iron and years old vidal sassoon hair dryer was just as good as CHI, etc. But they just wound up damaging my hair and not getting it at it's best in exchange for that damage anyway. I now have a T3 dryer and a FHI flat iron and though I still tend to get higher end hair products, I still use and rotate the cheaper products that I know truly work for my hair.

IN CONCLUSION, lol, I also think it depends on the hair as well. Pricier doesnt mean better in all cases or for all hair types, but for MY hair, I've had more success with pricier items but have certain lower end items that are staples for me.

Last edited:

chebaby

not all the time is expensive better but for my hair most of the time it is.
when i was relaxed and i found out about salon quality my hair took off. paul mitchell and joico kept my hair from falling right out. and salon quality tools are the best too. even though i am natural now i will NEVER give up my t3 blowdrier, fhi and chi flat iron.

now that im natural about 90% of my products are handmade and all natural. thats better for my hair than 90% drug store products. my mom is relaxed and i have started her using shescentit conditioners for pre poo and mizani, paul mitchell, keracare, and joico for shampoo and deep condition and her hair is sooooo much better than it used to be.

newflowers

I think there is a difference between expensive and quailty; however, quality products may be expensive. I also think that expensive is subjectively determined by one's income and ses - what's expensive for me will not be for others, and what's cheap to me may seem a bit priecy for others.

More to the point, when I'm buying hair and skin care products, my focus is what works for my hair and getting the best quality I can afford - an idea I apply to all of my purchases. I've been desperately poor in my distant past; it's not something one forgets. There are some things I'll never buy no matter what because of that - top ramen comes to mind :nono::lachen:. I have paid the cost to be where I am with my $54 conditioner, and I'm going to continue to work it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I have paid the cost to be where I am with my $54 conditioner, and I'm going to continue to work it.

So...Let Me Get this Skrait.....:look: Are you saying: "You Gotta Pay Da' Cost to be 'Da Boss":grin:

I feel You!:grin:

pisceschica

I think it depends on what you are talking about if you can only splurge on one product I would say a treatment and or styling product. But in some cases for some people their issue might be the shampoo and SOME not all more expensive hair products have great ingredients that can make a difference in the hair.

I think it just depends on the person. But my splurge would be a treatment (whether protein/conditioner/etc.)

LaidBak

Expensive is relative. I didn't think Mizani was considered expensive but you have that listed as so in your post. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to prices. I know that Aphogee shampoo is better for me than the Pantene I used to use. So I vote that most of the time expensive stuff is better. But then again, I am in love with cheap natural stuff like EVOO and EVCO.

ETA: Holy moly! Why did I start looking at the prices on Mizani stuff--Yikes!

Last edited:

ChocalateDiva

I have been able to go straight to using an expensive product and have it work great for me, vs. having to try 50-11 cheapies to find the best one. I do use some cheapies, but I have a few high end ones too.

Nice Lady

I used to use whatever works but I notice my hair responds well to certain products and brands. I believe that the expensive brands tend to use more quality ingredients in greater concentrations than the GVP or even similar products with different names. I also, use some cheaper products which work well with my hair.

I noticed that since I have changed the brands to more "quality" brands that the texture and quality of my hair has improved.

sillygirl82

I think that my shampoo is the most expensive product that I use. I bought the liter size of healthy sexy hair sulfate free shampoo.

Everything else is Hairveda, evoo, Giovanni, Herbal Essences and Yes to Carrots.

I think ingredients are more important than price.