Do you think LHCF and other boards are/will change the face of "black hair"???

RabiaElaine

I don't know if this has ever been discussed here, but I think we are changing the face of black hair care and will continue to do so.

Here are a few reasons why I think we are:
-Products like Soft Sheen "Extend a Perm" to help women go longer without relaxing
-John Frieda's Relax line was also supposed to do the same thing
-Several products have come out on the market as of late stating that they are "Mineral Oil and Petrolatum Free".

Also wondering if you guys think if the more and more women that join the hair boards if people will stop thinking or think twice about saying "black hair can't grow."

I think we have tremendous power for change, don't you??

C

chica_canella

Nice & Wavy said:
I agree 100%....just look at all of us, we are the example of what change can do!

Yes, I agree with you. We are def. showing those black woman willing to listen that they can have their own real, long, healthy hair.:)

But I also think that even though many people see it with their own eyes, there will be some black females who choose to stick to their beliefs of

1.) She must be something other than black

2.) It's a fusion weave

3.)or they just don't want to invest the time and energy it takes to have healthy, long hair. Protective styling, stretching relaxers, using minimal heat, using GOOD moisturizers and learning that grease isn't a moisturizer.

those habits would be hard for some to break.

Twisties

I think so. I also believe "product folks" maybe visiting the boards to see what they can create based on conversations here and other hair sites.

GoingNatural

Yes. Point Blank Period.

we can use products "designated for white folx" and watch our hair flourish.

Our hair grows at the same rate as white folx-IMO.

All of our hair types can grow to incredible lengths--once we treat it right.

wheezy807

RabiaElaine said:
I don't know if this has ever been discussed here, but I think we are changing the face of black hair care and will continue to do so.

-Products like Soft Sheen "Extend a Perm" to help women go longer without relaxing
-Several products have come out on the market as of late stating that they are "Mineral Oil and Petrolatum Free".

Also wondering if you guys think if the more and more women that join the hair boards if people will stop thinking or think twice about saying "black hair can't grow."

I'm with you ladies all the way. I hope there is an epidemic of black women with healthy hair. I have to get out more, i haven't see these products. We as black women, are becoming more knowledgable and aware of our hair and how to take care of it. This is beautiful!!! But at the same time we all know that it is a marketing strategy. Cosmetics is the bu$ine$$. They have to research and ask us what we want. There is always a play on words- hydrate, moisturizing, texture, etc... Ya know...

wheezy807

Twisties said:
I think so. I also believe "product folks" maybe visiting the boards to see what they can create based on conversations here and other hair sites.

EXACTLY!!!!

SleekandBouncy

Yes.
I've seen lots of programs and interviews where they mention getting ideas from visiting discussions forums and consumer websites. The power of the internet is recognized.

ellebelle88

This is a fabulous post. I think we (african americans on hair boards) are definitely the pioneers as far as black hair care. As other Blacks start to see more and more blacks with longer, healthier hair they will wonder how to take care of their hair and I think they will find solace in the Internet, as we all did. Through a search they will stumble upon LHCF, BHM, Napturality, etc. and from there it will be history.

I also think that when we get more people to change their thinking of haircare, we will see better products.

It seems like more and more people are using the Internet these days, especially with Facebook, Myspace, and other social sites. At any instance, Google is but a click away.

CurliDiva

Products/Things that I predict we will see soon in the near future:

Relaxers marketed to target the HOME/SELF relaxer. They know that "for professional use only" label just does not apply anymore.

Cheap lacefront wigs - just one company needs to break out and all of the prices will fall. Remeber how expensive and exclusive professional weaves back in the early 80's?

More cross-over product line. People are less loyal to using just "black" hair products, and going to "black" salons. Hopefully this will help to improve qulaity and customer service.

Once we get our hair together, hopeful the black consumer can invest those millions into something positive! ;)

SvelteVelvet

Excellent post and points ladies!! LHCF has started a revolution in black hair care and it's beginning to show itself in 'our' products.

hothair

RabiaElaine said:

:yep: ITA with everything you've said I was reading a hair mag that was talking about healthy weaves to GROW hair (not for the styles)!!

Southernbella.

Absolutely!

I think long-haired black women is going to be a new "phenomenon", and more women will start to seek out ways to get it. That will lead them to boards like this. I also agree that there spies out there who get lots of info from our board.

Not to call her out, but I was thinking about Macherieamour's blog the other day, and thinking how awesome it would be to have an LHCF youtube video series or something. Many people are loathe to read a bunch of information, but when you can see the action right in front of you, like Macheri's tutorials, it adds a new demention. Can you imagine how much exposure healthy hair practices could get on a site like youtube?

C

chica_canella

lauren450 said:
Absolutely!

I think long-haired black women is going to be a new "phenomenon", and more women will start to seek out ways to get it. That will lead them to boards like this. I also agree that there spies out there who get lots of info from our board.

Not to call her out, but I was thinking about Macherieamour's blog the other day, and thinking how awesome it would be to have an LHCF youtube video series or something. Many people are loathe to read a bunch of information, but when you can see the action right in front of you, like Macheri's tutorials, it adds a new demention. Can you imagine how much exposure healthy hair practices could get on a site like youtube?

Awww, that is an awesome idea. Mari would be a great choice since her hair is so long, thick and healthy. Why didn't I think of this?:lol: Thank God for LHCF sistas with their ingenous ideas.:) ;)

cocoberry10

I hope so. It would be great to think that the haircare industry would visit sites like this and create products that really nurture our tresses. Actually, what would be the best is to see some members of this board who have achieved great results making their own products. They would have the best products from firsthand knowledge (can’t wait for macherieamour’s hair line to come out:D )

PaperClip

Interesting conversation. I definitely think that LCHF and other such hair boards are changing the image and future of Black hair care for the reasons that have already been stated.

To humbly add: I think these boards will have an economic impact on the hairdressing industry, specifically, the vocation of being a hairdresser/hair stylist. In a conversation with my mom (a LONGTIME, OLD-SKOOL hairdresser), she has noticed business fluctuations because:

--products that only LICENSED hairdressers could get are now available in mass quantities, e.g., special treatments, certain relaxer brands, even weaving hair!;)

--people are doing their own hair more, partly because of the above and don't want to spend the money.

--people are wearing braids and other types of styles as they become more "acceptable" in the workplace

--(some) hairdressers are simply not listening to their clients about what they want for their hair and now that people have expanded options for hair care, they vote with their feet.

--people are growing out of their relaxers and now have need for different services and there are fewer hairdressers trained or taught (IN BEAUTY SCHOOL) on how to deal with naturally textured hair. A smart hairdresser will see this trend and EXPAND their skills and meet this growing market demand for more natural hair stylists.

Christa438

lauren450 said:
Absolutely!

I agree whole-heartedly! :grin:

I also think it's important not to just show one person because people with think that person is the "exception" for some reason. But if you show like 20-50 or 50-100 women all together saying the same thing, then people have to give it some more thought and some credit. I was daydreaming one day that Tyra dedicated a whole show to black women and hair-care, and her guests were mainly members from LHCF and other boards. This show opened eyes of every race watching including blacks. Her ratings went through the roof!

audacity.

chica_canella said:
Yes, I agree with you. We are def. showing those black woman willing to listen that they can have their own real, long, healthy hair.:)

But I also think that even though many people see it with their own eyes, there will be some black females who choose to stick to their beliefs of

1.) She must be something other than black

2.) It's a fusion weave

3.)or they just don't want to invest the time and energy it takes to have healthy, long hair. Protective styling, stretching relaxers, using minimal heat, using GOOD moisturizers and learning that grease isn't a moisturizer.

those habits would be hard for some to break.

To answer the question will the hair boards change the face of Black hair (care): potentially.

I can't answer a difinitive (sp?) YES, b/c everything starts at home. I believe the the sistas represented on the hair boards are a very small percentage of the population. So, if the majority of sistas are continually mistreating and abusing their hair, and that is what they are going to train their daughters to do. Many (not ALL) of those daughters will take up on those bad hair care practices and teach THEIR daughters (and so on down generations.)

With the same perspective, the small percentage of us who have gone out on a limb and went against the Black hair care grain, will teach our daughters who will teach their daughters...

Also, I can't say a firm YES b/c there are still SOOOOOOO many skeptics out there when it comes to black hair (incuding those "professionals" who we pay to style and care for our hair). Which, IMO, is why many of us don't share the boards with others...

Plus, like she (chica_canella) said ^^^^^ folks "just don't want to invest the time and energy it takes to have healthy, long hair. Protective styling, stretching relaxers, using minimal heat, using GOOD moisturizers and learning that grease isn't a moisturizer. those habits would be hard for some to break."

Good thread!

The hair boards are making a huge impact on black hair. I think the abundance of information and the quick word of mouth about popular products and techniques is making hair care companies & professionals respect the needs of african americans more. In the last 5 years I have seen a huge increase in advertisements toward african americans. The fact is the money is there and who ever has the better product for the right price will get the business.

I too believe some companies monitor the boards. I think they bottle up what we suggest and then sell it back to us.

macherieamour

cocoberry10 said:
I hope so. It would be great to think that the haircare industry would visit sites like this and create products that really nurture our tresses. Actually, what would be the best is to see some members of this board who have achieved great results making their own products. They would have the best products from firsthand knowledge (can’t wait for macherieamour’s hair line to come out:D )

hehe, working on it;)

ShaniKeys

RabiaElaine said:

I def agree with you, I've noticed those changes. Alot of hair care products now have a special line for natural hair too (Dark&Lovely Naturally), even hair lines like Garnier and Frederic Fekkai now develop products for "the other kind of hair" with ingredients like Shea Butter (especially for dry/chemically treated hair). The fact that L'Oréal created a special hair care line just for us proves that (Mizani).

And check this out: http://www.ethnichairandskinsymposium.com/default.aspx

ps: there are plenty of websites on how to take care of our natural hair, even outside of the US (Netherlands: www.kroeshaar.com, France: www.bouclesdebene.com,...).

ShaniKeys

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
The hair boards are making a huge impact on black hair. I think the abundance of information and the quick word of mouth about popular products and techniques is making hair care companies & professionals respect the needs of african americans more. In the last 5 years I have seen a huge increase in advertisements toward african americans. The fact is the money is there and who ever has the better product for the right price will get the business.

I too believe some companies monitor the boards. I think they bottle up what we suggest and then sell it back to us.

I never even thought about that, you're so right.

Hair Iam

I believe the younger generation of black females will certainly have more educated choices than we did. I see them making healthier choices for their hair .;)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Yes, I think we are changing the face of black hair care, slowly but surely. We are learning and teaching our friends and family members and educating them about products, tools, and techniques and the knowledge will spread. I also think companies are taking steps to provide us with better quality products and that can only help us.

CAPlush said:
I don't think that things will really change until the cosmetology school curriculum changes.

This is so true. I borrow a cosmetology course book from the library just to learn a little more about styling techniques and most of the chapters we're devoted to altering the hair texture in some way. And there were sometimes explicit snippets of "doing this service will ensure your clients will always have to come to you".

Creatividual

ITA! I was on this track right before I found LHCF but after being on here, I truly believe it with all my heart! We are changing people's perception of black hair. It's beautiful rather it s natural, texlaxed, or relaxed. We are dispelling the myths and beliefs that black women can't grow long natural or relaxed hair. And I LOVE IT!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

tnorenberg

senimoni said:
No I don't think so. I don't think there are enough of us to change the perception of black hair care.

We've already done it and continue to do it. It is a FACT that company reps are members here that use this forum for insight and information. How many people do you think it takes to make up a test group? As little 25 to as many as 500. We have over 2000 members here alone sharing info, providing feedback/reviews on products. That's not even mentioning the same thing that is going on in other similar hair boards. Even one small change in a product that is mass distributed (ie..no SLS's, no mineral oil, addding shea butter, adding cerimides, etc) can make a huge difference in a persons haircare without them evev knowing what happened, but their hair has gradually gotten healthier even with their abusive habits. Perceptions are based mostly on reality and our reality has been changing with better haircare practices, but will change even more as our products continue to use more healthy ingredients.