Do you tithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plenty

My life worked on so many levels when I tithe. I stop tithing and I feel like it brought confusion in my life.

Have you stopped tithing? Should we turn this into a challenge?

GlamourGirl

Ohmigoodness...just what I needed a tithing challenge:). I have gotten way off track and you are so right about bringing confusion because it brings that and confusion in all your finances as well. I am down for a tithing challenge!

Nice & Wavy

I do tithe and have been for the last 18 years. I have personally though, increased my tithe to more than 10%...just something my husband and I decided we wanted to do and God has truly blessed us mightly...especially in our marriage and ministry.

Tithing opens the doors up for great blessings in your home. I encourage you ladies to tithe consistantly.

Bless you!

Mocha5

Plenty said:
My life worked on so many levels when I tithe. I stop tithing and I feel like it brought confusion in my life.

Have you stopped tithing? Should we turn this into a challenge?

This is sooooo true!

neenee280

I would love a tithe challange!!! God has blessed me immensely after a storm I just had. I have been slipping in the tithe department but I am trying to get back on track!

neenee280 said:
I would love a tithe challange!!! God has blessed me immensely after a storm I just had. I have been slipping in the tithe department but I am trying to get back on track!

Same here. I need to do better.

candiel

I got off track too since I am not working right now. I feel bad about it sometimes:( Are you supposed to still tithe if you are not working?

Nice & Wavy

candiel said:
I got off track too since I am not working right now. I feel bad about it sometimes:( Are you supposed to still tithe if you are not working?

You can tithe your time...maybe they need some help in the office of the church, or cleaning, etc. Don't feel bad...the Lord loves you just the same! :p

Plenty

Nice & Wavy said:
You can tithe your time...maybe they need some help in the office of the church, or cleaning, etc. Don't feel bad...the Lord loves you just the same! :p

OMG, thanks so much! I was wondering about this.

I quess we can start in April. I will give 10% of what is given to me and I will volenteer some. I am not sure how much. I will do this consistantly until the end of the year.

dreamer26

Nice & Wavy said:

See how God leaves no one out. Good answer Nice &Wavy.

neenee280

candiel said:

Definetly don't feel bad! I just started working again and I am playing catch up with bills and everything. Your time and your talents are tithes too! God knows your situation.

mrsmeredith

Yes tithing is not an option for me. We tithe and give offering. I feel more secure with my life that way. I pray over every seed that I sow and every seed has a purpose.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
can anyone post what the guidelines are for tithing? do you give 10% of all of your money each time? or 10% of your current earnings?

Southernbella.

weaveitup said:
since when?

Since ever, for Christians. We were never required to tithe. Tithing is an Old Testament law imposed on some of the people of Israel (only farmers an herdsman tithed. The poor weren't required to tithe at all, and were actually supposed to receive part of the tithes), and didn't even have to do with money.

Christians are required to give:

2 Corinthians 9:7: "Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver

Tithing, as practiced by churches today, is done out of tradition, but it isn't scriptural at all.

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

lauren450 said:
Since ever, for Christians. We were never required to tithe. Tithing is an Old Testament law imposed on some of the people of Israel, and didn't even have to do with money.

Christians are required to give:

2 Corinthians 9:7: "Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver

Tithing, as practiced by churches today, is done out of tradition, but it isn't scriptural at all.
I agree. I give freely what I can.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
im one of those who believes that the old testament laws are still laws.. i mean, the 10 commandments still count right? but could someone please link me to the scripture that talks about only the rich having to tithe? i never saw that part. it hink it would be an interesting discussion to have with my father. thanks

Southernbella.

weaveitup said:
im one of those who believes that the old testament laws are still laws.. i mean, the 10 commandments still count right? but could someone please link me to the scripture that talks about only the rich having to tithe? i never saw that part. it hink it would be an interesting discussion to have with my father. thanks

I'll pm you tomorrow. I don't want to highjack the thread!:)

alexstin

Matt 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone

Luke 11:42
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Notice that Jesus didn't say not to tithe but that the Pharisees just tithed but didn't execute judgement, mercy...... they should have been doing it all.

Last edited:

PaperClip

candiel said:

Yes. 10 percent of all your increase. And I'm on record that tithing in the 21st century is very biblical as part of the COVENANT relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. (Hebrews 7)

ETA: and what others said about tithing time, etc. And that your natural circumstances don't change the Lord's love for you. You're feeling bad is of the enemy's doing, not the Lord. Don't let the enemy make you feel bad. Be encouraged and believe (and I agree with you) that new streams of income shall flow into your life, starting THIS DAY, in Jesus' Name! Amen!

Romans 8:34-39 (NIV)
34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."[a] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

I tithe.

Their are many "types of laws" in the bible. Not all laws, have been abolished. If all law was abolished, then their would be no such thing as sin. What is sin? 1 John 3:4 - Sin is transgression of the law. God wants you to keep "certain" laws: See John 14:15, 1 John 2:4, 1 John 5:3. Rom 7:7, Eph. 6:1-3 Law and grace are not mutually exclusive. They work together. Law points out sin, and grace saves us from sin.The law is the will of God for our lives, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law TO BE SAVED, but because we ARE saved. See Rev 14:12. Even Cain knew that it was a sin to kill, and this was before the 10 commandements. How did he know this? It wasn't written yet but he knew! Also, why was Satan cast down? Because he sinned (He broke God's law!) 2 Kings 21:8 shows that their are different types of laws. The text says their are law that God commanded and their are laws that Moses commanded. (Also see Daniel 9:11)

Types of Laws:
1) Moral Law (10 Commandments (i.e. Lying, Killing), Love thy neighbor, Love God, Grieving the Holy Spirit (unpardonable sin), other commands given by God in the Bible OR to you directly etc.)
2) Mosaic Law (includes Ceremonial Law (Laws given to foreshadow the coming of Christ i.e. sacrifices) and Laws given to Israel on how to run their nation)

So the question becomes: is tithing under Mosaic Law or Moral Law?
It is clear in the Bible that tithing was practiced way before the first Jew. Abraham tithed hundreds of years before there even was a Mosaic Law.

Everything belongs to God. Psalms 24:1: "The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." Psalms 50:10-12: "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof." Haggai 2:8 says, "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts." We forget that sometimes, but he says, "It is mine." Now notice Deuteronomy 8:18: "But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God; for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth."

Tithing is only returning what is his. The tithing part of the Mosaic law was that the people of God was to give 1/10 to the Levites.

As Alexstin stated In Matthew 23:23: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." That word "ought" denotes obligation. They should return! (I'm trying to get in the habit of saying retun instead of pay!)

It is moral because it involved stealing from God.

Nice & Wavy

natalied said:
I tithe.

Their are many "types of laws" in the bible. Not all laws, have been abolished. If all law was abolished, then their would be no such thing as sin. What is sin? 1 John 3:4 - Sin is transgression of the law. God wants you to keep "certain" laws: See John 14:15, 1 John 2:4, 1 John 5:3. Rom 7:7, Eph. 6:1-3 Law and grace are not mutually exclusive. They work together. Law points out sin, and grace saves us from sin.The law is the will of God for our lives, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law TO BE SAVED, but because we ARE saved. See Rev 14:12. Even Cain knew that it was a sin to kill, and this was before the 10 commandements. How did he know this? It wasn't written yet but he knew! Also, why was Satan cast down? Because he sinned (He broke God's law!) 2 Kings 21:8 shows that their are different types of laws. The text says their are law that God commanded and their are laws that Moses commanded. (Also see Daniel 9:11)

Types of Laws:
1) Moral Law (10 Commandments (i.e. Lying, Killing), Love thy neighbor, Love God, Grieving the Holy Spirit (unpardonable sin), other commands given by God in the Bible OR to you directly etc.)
2) Mosaic Law (includes Ceremonial Law (Laws given to foreshadow the coming of Christ i.e. sacrifices) and Laws given to Israel on how to run their nation)

It is clear in the Bible that tithing was practiced way before the first Jew. Abraham tithed hundreds of years before there even was a Mosaic Law.

Everything belongs to God. Psalms 24:1: "The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." Psalms 50:10-12: "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof." Haggai 2:8 says, "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts." We forget that sometimes, but he says, "It is mine." Now notice Deuteronomy 8:18: "But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God; for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth."

Tithing is only returning what is his. The tithing part of the Mosaic law was that the people of God was to give 1/10 to the Levites.

As Alexstin stated In Matthew 23:23: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." That word "ought" denotes obligation. They should return! (I'm trying to get in the habit of saying retun instead of pay!)

Thank you, sister for sharing this. Not everyone is going to agree with the scriptures, though...no matter how much we share it.

For all those who decide not to tithe, if that is your choice, then so be it, but to say that it is no longer under the law is incorrect. I tithe because I love to give to God what is HIS, that's why I tithe even more than the 10% and i also give my offerings and my life as well. Let me also share that God still blesses those who give tithes (whether its money, cattle, wheat or grain)....He Never Changes...He is the same yesterday, today and forever! I also tithe my time be it in church or out of church. Tithing is giving to God...period.

We are all under Grace. Let us reason together and come together for one cause...to see people's live change by giving their hearts over to Jesus Christ...amen?

Blessings to all!

Nice & Wavy

alexstin said:
Matt 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone

Luke 11:42
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Notice that Jesus didn't say not to tithe but that the Pharisees just tithed but didn't execute judgement, mercy...... they should have been doing it all.

Amen.....thank you so much for this statement.;)

Beauty4Ashes

I enjoyed your post and agree wholeheartedly with the bolded! I know this to be a fact from experience..

"Thank you, sister for sharing this. Not everyone is going to agree with the scriptures, though...no matter how much we share it.

For all those who decide not to tithe, if that is your choice, then so be it, but to say that it is no longer under the law is incorrect. I tithe because I love to give to God what is HIS, that's why I tithe even more than the 10% and i also give my offerings and my life as well. Let me also share that God still blesses those who give tithes (whether its money, cattle, wheat or grain)....He Never Changes...He is the same yesterday, today and forever! I also tithe my time be it in church or out of church. Tithing is giving to God...period.

We are all under Grace. Let us reason together and come together for one cause...to see people's live change by giving their hearts over to Jesus Christ...amen?

Blessings to all!"

Nice & Wavy

RelaxerRehab said:
Yes. 10 percent of all your increase. And I'm on record that
tithing in the 21st century is very biblical as part of the COVENANT relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
(Hebrews 7)

ETA: and what others said about tithing time, etc. And that your natural circumstances don't change the Lord's love for you. You're feeling bad is of the enemy's doing, not the Lord. Don't let the enemy make you feel bad. Be encouraged and believe (and I agree with you) that new streams of income shall flow into your life, starting THIS DAY, in Jesus' Name! Amen!

Romans 8:34-39 (NIV)
34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."[a] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Wow, you ladies know your stuff.

Praise the Lord for all His Works and His Word is powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit and even to the marrow of the bones, and it knows the intent of the heart.

Our heart...God knows our heart and if we give from our heart cheerfully, He honors it and receives it and we receive any rewards that He chooses to give to us because of it....isn't God Good?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

natalied said:
I tithe.

Types of Laws:

Wow, Natalied. You left for a while and came back with a bang!! Thanks so much for this explanation between the differences between the laws!! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.