Do you tithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you, shaffawn....God Bless you!

shaffawn said:
I enjoyed your post and agree wholeheartedly with the bolded! I know this to be a fact from experience..

"Thank you, sister for sharing this. Not everyone is going to agree with the scriptures, though...no matter how much we share it.

For all those who decide not to tithe, if that is your choice, then so be it, but to say that it is no longer under the law is incorrect. I tithe because I love to give to God what is HIS, that's why I tithe even more than the 10% and i also give my offerings and my life as well. Let me also share that God still blesses those who give tithes (whether its money, cattle, wheat or grain)....He Never Changes...He is the same yesterday, today and forever! I also tithe my time be it in church or out of church. Tithing is giving to God...period.

We are all under Grace. Let us reason together and come together for one cause...to see people's live change by giving their hearts over to Jesus Christ...amen?

Blessings to all!"

Trinity1

I've never been clear on where you give your 10%. Do you give it to your church? your favority charity? where do you tithe?

TeeTee2

MomofThreeBoys

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Wow, Natalied. You left for a while and came back with a bang!! Thanks so much for this explanation between the differences between the laws!! THANKS!

You're welcome. I had a baby so I've been lurking quite a lot.:)

Nice & Wavy

Tee Tee2 said:
I've never been clear on where you give your 10%. Do you give it to your church? your favority charity? where do you tithe?

TeeTee2

When it's money, I give to my church to further the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It helps pay for the missionaries, amongst other things that are needed.

Also, I like to be a blessing to my pastors, and give them a little something extra, just for them once a month, not as a tithe, but a little something.

When it's time....I do so many things for so many people, and it's always a blessing.

pebbles

alexstin said:
Matt 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone

Luke 11:42
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Notice that Jesus didn't say not to tithe but that the Pharisees just tithed but didn't execute judgement, mercy...... they should have been doing it all.

Bless you! I tithe and give offerings. I wish I could tell you ladies how the windows of heaven have opened up on me and God's blessing has overtaken me, but some people would swear I was lying. Suffice it to say, when God says He will pour out blessings you won't have room enough to receive if you bring Him what is due Him, as well as your offerings, He means it!! :D

MomofThreeBoys

Tee Tee2 said:

TeeTee2

Though we are not under Mosaic law there are still principles that we can use today in our lives.

The bible says in 2 Tim. 3:16-17 1"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

So what is the principle? Though we are not under Mosaic law where we need to give to the Levites, I believe the principle is that out tithes should go to support the church/ministry/ministers.

Abraham tithed to Melchizedek (Gen 4:20) who was a priest.

The Jews tithed to the Levites to support them and to maintain the sanctuary. The tribe of Levi was not given any inheritance as the other Israelites were. They had no herds, or business ventures. All the other tribes paid tithe and that one-tenth was used to pay the priests, the Levites.

Malachi 3:10 says to bring the tithes into the storehouse. So they will be food in "MY" (HIS) house.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14 (New Living Translation):don't you realize that those who work in the temple get their meals from the offerings brought to the temple? And those who serve at the altar get a share of the sacrificial offerings. 14 In the same way, the Lord ordered that those who preach the Good News should be supported by those who benefit from it.

I believe this is the church and the ministers.

pjrndon

I have been a christian since I was 25 yrs old and I'm almost 46. In the beginning I tithe when I could. But as I matured spiritually I realized that given the 10th was not optional. I do know that it is a faith issue. The fear of not having enough or running out. Once I surrendered all to the Lord I realized that what I have is because of Him. Without Him I would have nothing. He is my Father and very capable of meeting my needs, emotionally, spiritually and financially. When I let Him run the show I founded out that the windows of heavan really do open and the blessings really do pour out. Trust HIM, surrender all and the rest will be done. :)

Glib Gurl

This is a great thread. I used to tithe but stopped when it got too (emotionally) painful. Plus, my (non-Christian) financial advisor was shocked by how much I was giving to the church when I have so much debt. So, I stopped tithing. But, you know what? I miss it . . . when I tithe I have no remorse and I feel like I'm really being forthright and trusting God with my money. Plus, even though I do agree with the perspective that it's an Old Testament law that really isn't expected of us Christians, I do think that it's a good measure of what we should give to God.

I think I will participate in the tithing challenge in April
:)

GlamourGirl

natalied said:
I tithe.

Their are many "types of laws" in the bible. Not all laws, have been abolished. If all law was abolished, then their would be no such thing as sin. What is sin? 1 John 3:4 - Sin is transgression of the law. God wants you to keep "certain" laws: See John 14:15, 1 John 2:4, 1 John 5:3. Rom 7:7, Eph. 6:1-3 Law and grace are not mutually exclusive. They work together. Law points out sin, and grace saves us from sin.The law is the will of God for our lives, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law TO BE SAVED, but because we ARE saved. See Rev 14:12. Even Cain knew that it was a sin to kill, and this was before the 10 commandements. How did he know this? It wasn't written yet but he knew! Also, why was Satan cast down? Because he sinned (He broke God's law!) 2 Kings 21:8 shows that their are different types of laws. The text says their are law that God commanded and their are laws that Moses commanded. (Also see Daniel 9:11)

Types of Laws:
1) Moral Law (10 Commandments (i.e. Lying, Killing), Love thy neighbor, Love God, Grieving the Holy Spirit (unpardonable sin), other commands given by God in the Bible OR to you directly etc.)
2) Mosaic Law (includes Ceremonial Law (Laws given to foreshadow the coming of Christ i.e. sacrifices) and Laws given to Israel on how to run their nation)

So the question becomes: is tithing under Mosaic Law or Moral Law?
It is clear in the Bible that tithing was practiced way before the first Jew. Abraham tithed hundreds of years before there even was a Mosaic Law.

Everything belongs to God. Psalms 24:1: "The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." Psalms 50:10-12: "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof." Haggai 2:8 says, "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts." We forget that sometimes, but he says, "It is mine." Now notice Deuteronomy 8:18: "But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God; for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth."

Tithing is only returning what is his. The tithing part of the Mosaic law was that the people of God was to give 1/10 to the Levites.

As Alexstin stated In Matthew 23:23: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." That word "ought" denotes obligation. They should return! (I'm trying to get in the habit of saying retun instead of pay!)

It is moral because it involved stealing from God.

Sorry...double post!

Last edited:

GlamourGirl

Nice & Wavy said:
Thank you, sister for sharing this. Not everyone is going to agree with the scriptures, though...no matter how much we share it.

For all those who decide not to tithe, if that is your choice, then so be it, but to say that it is no longer under the law is incorrect. I tithe because I love to give to God what is HIS, that's why I tithe even more than the 10% and i also give my offerings and my life as well. Let me also share that God still blesses those who give tithes (whether its money, cattle, wheat or grain)....He Never Changes...He is the same yesterday, today and forever! I also tithe my time be it in church or out of church. Tithing is giving to God...period.

We are all under Grace. Let us reason together and come together for one cause...to see people's live change by giving their hearts over to Jesus Christ...amen?

Blessings to all!

Yes I agree with you Niceandwavy...thanks for sharing Natalied

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Thank you, sister for sharing this. Not everyone is going to agree with the scriptures, though...no matter how much we share it.

Blessings to all!
I tithe faithfully with a cheerful heart.

I agree......the bolded is one person's opinion and their truth.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I don't tithe, but I do give. Tithing isn't required anymore.

Not true....(you're opinion)

I know a few people who believe this as well. Of course when reading the Bible everyone is going to decipher something different from it. A bunch of people can read the same thing.....but it will mean something different to them all.

I do tithe......and I can't see my life without doing so....

Blessings to you and yours. ((hugs)) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.